How can I save a video to my computer?

angie_nrs

Cathlete
My nephew just won his state baseball championship this past weekend and there is a video in the local newspaper website. I can play it on my computer without any problem but can't figure out how to save it to my computer so that I can save it to a DVD and send it to him. I can email it and it even gives me the embed links....but I don't see any options to save. Heck, I'm not even sure my computer will burn DVD's.:confused: The door on my DVD slot says DVD/multi recorder/RW, so I guess I was just figuring that it would do that.

Also, is it possible if I can't save it to DVD that I can hook up a VCR to my computer and save it to a tape? Can you tell I'm getting desperate??? Ack....this has taken up my whole afternoon! HELP!!!

My nephew just won his state baseball championship this past weekend and there is a video in the local newspaper website. I can play it on my computer without any problem but can't figure out how to save it to my computer so that I can save it to a DVD and send it to him. I can email it and it even gives me the embed links....but I don't see any options to save. Heck, I'm not even sure my computer will burn DVD's.:confused: The door on my DVD slot says DVD/multi recorder/RW, so I guess I was just figuring that it would do that.

Also, is it possible if I can't save it to DVD that I can hook up a VCR to my computer and save it to a tape? Can you tell I'm getting desperate??? Ack....this has taken up my whole afternoon! HELP!!!

I cannot imagine a way for you to record from your computer to your VCR.

However, it really sounds like you do have a CD burner there, and if you load a blank disk the computer will probably prompt you with options, etc.

As for how to get the video onto your computer, not sure, but have you tried right-clicking on the video link -- it may open a drop-down menu with a "Save As" option.

Thanks for the reply.

Yup, I tried putting in a blank disc and nothing....I thought it might prompt me as well, but no go. I also tried right clicking and it didn't offer the save option. It only gave me the option to print, info. about adobe flash player, and settings for the adobe. I even tried the 'ctrl and S' shortcut and that wouldn't work either.:(

How about you post up the website address and then we can have a look and hopefully work it out and let you know?? :cool:

Stupid question time: Do you have a writable disc? You can't put just any type of disc in there. It has to be a writable disc that supports video. Your menu should have an option to burn the video to the disc drive at that point.

Your camera should also have some software that you needed to load onto your computer to aid in saving all your pictures/video.

If this is all redundant, I'm sorry. I'm just not sure how versed you are in all this stuff. You may be past all this already!

Good luck!

Here's the link
http://www.themorningsun.com/video/media-15355519/?from=email

The disc I put in says DVD RW. I would like to put on some video from my DVR and then add this video to that disc, but even if I had to put them on 2 seperate discs, that would be OK.

Actually at this point, I haven't even been able to figure out how to put it on a disc from my DVR...but I think I can figure that one out. *lol*.....at least I hope so. If I can't I can always put that on VHS if I need to.

I'm an idiot! I thought you had taken the video with your camera and were having problems with that. I'll have to ask my computer guru about this one! I'll check with DH when he gets in. I'm not sure how you would do that!

Sorry! My bad!

Hi Angie!

Well, my DH says you will need software that you can download from the internet free to save it to your computer or a DVD RW. Just do a google search for video conversion software and take a look at your options.

We posted at the same time.....

I am a little weary of downloading free software online without knowing anything about it. Does anyone know of any safe options?

You don't need free software.

Before you even worry about what kind of disc to use, you need to get the video file saved somewhere that you can work with it. Your newspaper is using flash to post the video. Put simply, your web browser looks at the server where they have the video stored, and it plays the video off that server. You have to be connected to the internet to view it. This is often done when someone wants to show something on the web, but doesn't want distributed everywhere. Kinda like youtube.

Fortunately for you, there's always more to it than the simple explanation. In order for your computer to play the video, it actually does download it, but it downloads it to a temporary location, where it's eventually automatically deleted from your computer. So it is hiding in the depths of your file system, you just need to know where to look.

This link is a good step-by-step of how to find the video:
http://www.wikihow.com/Save-Flash-Animation-from-Website

Once you have the video renamed and saved somewhere on your computer where you can access it easily, you should be able to insert any kind of writable media, double click its icon to open a window for it, drag the video onto the window, then choose File -> write these files to disc. (I'm assuming you're using windows, but not vista. I'm a mac girl at home and use windows 2000 at work. I don't know anything about vista)

If you try this and have trouble, let me know, and I'll do it for you... you can PM me your e-mail address, and I'll upload the video to a site where you can then download it.

Good luck

Ok, I grabbed the video file for you. I realized it was going to be slightly more complicated than that how-to link I posted. If you click this link, you should be able to download it to your computer and burn it to a disc

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/823800/fla405.flv

This is just a flash video. Your nephew will need flash player to watch it, and he'll have to watch it on his computer. If you want to make dvds that play in a dvd player, you need to buy software for that. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Hey Ange,

If all else fails, maybe call the news station and ask for a copy.

Congrats to your nephew on the championship!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.