How bad is Alcohol when dieting?

Just a suggestion for those times you want to have a few (or more) drinks...one thing you COULD do is drink one alcoholic bev, then a glass of water, then your alcohol, then a glass of water.

Another option and my personal favorite...once you return home, chug a HUGE jug of water. My Gatorade water bottles are about 36-40 oz. and I make sure I "down" at least one of them before calling it a night.

Keep water on the night stand. Since alcohol disrupts sleep, when you wake there will be something to drink.

Keeping hydrated will really help eliminate the hangover. A big part of the whole horrible hangover feeling is just being overly dehydrated. These tips work great for wine, which IMO offer the worst hangovers known to man!!!.

I enjoy red wine and allow myself a glass or two on the weekend. I also give it up for Lent and have noticed no difference in my weight as a result. I truly believe in all things in moderation.

I enjoy red wine and allow myself a glass or two on the weekend. I also give it up for Lent and have noticed no difference in my weight as a result. I truly believe in all things in moderation.

I drink red wine before bed every night and don't notice any difference in my weight when I don't have it. Beer on the other hand, can really put the weight on me. I think it depends on how your body reacts to certain things.

I drink red wine before bed every night and don't notice any difference in my weight when I don't have it. Beer on the other hand, can really put the weight on me. I think it depends on how your body reacts to certain things.

I used to make sure I drank lots of water while I was having wine to be sure I stayed hydrated. A couple months ago I decided I wanted to get serious about my fitness/health goals. I realized drinking was an obstacle -- even though I didn't do it all the time. I felt like it was holding me back and it just wasn't worth it anymore. I definitely DID eat more when I drank (let's face it, food and drinks go hand in hand).

Since then, I've had one glass of wine on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and that's it. And it's made a huge difference for me. That last fat around my middle is coming off pretty quickly, and I'm totally able to eat clean. As a result, my energy level is definitely much higher, and I'm conquering Cathe's tough workouts, one-by-one.

For me drinking alochol became a "three-steps forward two-steps back" situation, and I realized to go all the way I should just eliminate it. So I did -- and I feel great. I'm not saying everyone should, I'm must saying it's getting me where I want to be.

Just a thought.

Marla G.

I used to make sure I drank lots of water while I was having wine to be sure I stayed hydrated. A couple months ago I decided I wanted to get serious about my fitness/health goals. I realized drinking was an obstacle -- even though I didn't do it all the time. I felt like it was holding me back and it just wasn't worth it anymore. I definitely DID eat more when I drank (let's face it, food and drinks go hand in hand).

Since then, I've had one glass of wine on Thanksgiving and Christmas, and that's it. And it's made a huge difference for me. That last fat around my middle is coming off pretty quickly, and I'm totally able to eat clean. As a result, my energy level is definitely much higher, and I'm conquering Cathe's tough workouts, one-by-one.

For me drinking alochol became a "three-steps forward two-steps back" situation, and I realized to go all the way I should just eliminate it. So I did -- and I feel great. I'm not saying everyone should, I'm must saying it's getting me where I want to be.

Just a thought.

Marla G.

I enjoy a glass of wine or a beer from time to time and have never noticed a significant weight difference even when I have gone weeks without alcohol. What I do notice is that one beverage is ok, but if I have two, my workout the next morning is more of a challenge even if I don't have any other "hangover" symptoms.

I agree that everyone is different, but for me, I think alcohol is really dehydrating which certainly effects my workouts. I would imagine that if others are like me, alcohol can reduce the effectiveness of workouts that are the stimulus to weight management. Just a thought.
KimberliC

I enjoy a glass of wine or a beer from time to time and have never noticed a significant weight difference even when I have gone weeks without alcohol. What I do notice is that one beverage is ok, but if I have two, my workout the next morning is more of a challenge even if I don't have any other "hangover" symptoms.

I agree that everyone is different, but for me, I think alcohol is really dehydrating which certainly effects my workouts. I would imagine that if others are like me, alcohol can reduce the effectiveness of workouts that are the stimulus to weight management. Just a thought.
KimberliC

Kimberlic -- I agree. That's a lot of what I meant by my "three steps forward, two steps back" statement. It did take the energy out of my workouts.

Marla G.

Kimberlic -- I agree. That's a lot of what I meant by my "three steps forward, two steps back" statement. It did take the energy out of my workouts.

Marla G.

Just to share a personal viewpoint, I think it is terrible for the diet. A diet killer. On all fronts - calorie wise, of course, but also there has been studies which say alcohol calories are more readily stored as fat. Alcohol lessens (diet) inhibitions, so you are more likely to chow down. And lastly, who wants to work out with a hangover?

Just to share a personal viewpoint, I think it is terrible for the diet. A diet killer. On all fronts - calorie wise, of course, but also there has been studies which say alcohol calories are more readily stored as fat. Alcohol lessens (diet) inhibitions, so you are more likely to chow down. And lastly, who wants to work out with a hangover?

Karen, I would suggest if your drinking mixed drinks, use diet, no caffeine soda... me and hubby drink whisky and diet coke on the weekends.... so far I am doing ok, but I do exercise alot, a couple hrs a day..... I also drink ALOT of water...... Rhonda

PS.. I would leave the beer alone:7

Karen, I would suggest if your drinking mixed drinks, use diet, no caffeine soda... me and hubby drink whisky and diet coke on the weekends.... so far I am doing ok, but I do exercise alot, a couple hrs a day..... I also drink ALOT of water...... Rhonda

PS.. I would leave the beer alone:7

For several years I drank a decent amount of vodka in the evenings (2-3 drinks). This past August I decided to give that up. By November, without changing anything else in terms of diet or workouts, I had lost 8lbs. I have read that if there is alchohol present, it is the body's first choice (before food) for use as fuel. So any alchohol present will be burned off in a workout before any fat or carbs. I think that is the reason for my fat loss.

I haven't given up drinking, I generally drink wine with dinner once or twice a weekend, and an occasional vodka drink (maybe 2-3 a month). I am maintaining my weight loss.

For several years I drank a decent amount of vodka in the evenings (2-3 drinks). This past August I decided to give that up. By November, without changing anything else in terms of diet or workouts, I had lost 8lbs. I have read that if there is alchohol present, it is the body's first choice (before food) for use as fuel. So any alchohol present will be burned off in a workout before any fat or carbs. I think that is the reason for my fat loss.

I haven't given up drinking, I generally drink wine with dinner once or twice a weekend, and an occasional vodka drink (maybe 2-3 a month). I am maintaining my weight loss.

One thing I should add, since I don't drink during the week anymore I crave sweet things. I never had a sweet tooth until I stopped imbibing. I do keep it under control though, and I don't eat anything after 7pm.

Marla, I'm with you. I went alcohol-free over three years ago and I feel tremendously better. I lost about 20 pounds the first six months and have way more energy. I also discovered that I don't get depressed much any longer... that used to be a huge problem for me.

Anyway, it's not for everyone, but it works for me!

Take care,
Marie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.