How are you all doing?

Hi everyone!

I was curious how the rest of you expectant moms are doing with your pregnancies. I thought I'd start the ball rolling...

My original due date was May 1st, but the doctor pushed it up to April 27th based on the ultrasound I had last week. I've gained 25 pounds so far. I gained alot of weight during the second trimester, but I haven't gained much weight in the last four weeks. The doctor doesn't seem to be worried because the ultrasound shows that the baby (a boy) is already 4 pounds 13 ounces. I think it's so cool the way they can figure out the baby's weight in utero!

People tell me I look so small for someone who's about to have a baby in one month (that can be irritating to hear all the time!). A big belly doesn't guarantee a big baby. With my first pregnancy, I had a 50# weight gain and my son was 7lbs7oz. With my second pregnancy, I was at least 20 pounds overweight with NO MUSCLE TONE WHATSOEVER when I started, and although I gave birth at nearly 200 pounds, my daughter was only 6lbs5oz. This is my third pregnancy. I started at a size 6 and a pretty lean 137 pounds. Although my thighs definitely have more padding right now and my rear-end has more than surpassed Jennifer Lopez' in the bulbous department, I can still feel the muscles underneath so I know there's post-partum hope for me. Unfortunately, I've had bad leg swelling almost from the very beginning of the pregnancy so elastic stockings have been my constant companions.

I'm still working out with weights at least twice a week and up until last month, I was doing the step portion from Cathe's Wedding Video for my cardio (with no risers). I decided to stop stepping because it was bringing on a painful side stitch (ligament pain?), so now I'm walking as much as possible to keep the circulation going and minimize the leg swelling. I supplement the weight work with the inner/outer thigh work from Cathe's Wedding video too. I've also been pretty conscientious about the ab/back exercises. I find the back exercise (the one where you're on all fours and you extend one leg back with the opposite arm forward) kind of hard to do and I struggle to keep from tipping over!

Cathe, if you read this, I just want you to know that this FitMoms forum has been such a great help to me. I definitely credit exercise with making this pregnancy, my best one. I've learned alot from you and Sheila and the other posters, and that Dr. Clapp book has also been helpful. I'm really happy that I've been able to maintain a decent level of fitness so far.

I'm really looking forward to reading about how everyone else is doing!

PS:

Cathe, this July I'll be 37. I can't think of a better present than your new tapes!

How I'm doing

I'm glad to hear that you are doing so well! I wish I could trade you places and be delivering at the end of April! I'm just now 8 weeks pg and I'm in that terrible morning sickness phase.
sad.gif
It's so awful for me. I have it all day long. Just the thought of food makes me want to run to the toilet. I can't even enter my kitchen without gagging. Last week, I was able to do some moderate workouts. I think I had (3) 4 mile fast-paced walks,(1) 30 minute workout on my exercise bike, and I did PS Legs 1 time. So far this week, I have not been able to workout. I don't really see that I will be able to anytime soon, either. This is probably for the best since I can't stand to eat. My body needs all the food I'm eating right now for the baby. Isn't it horrible that you have to go through something so horrible to have something as sweet as a precious little baby? It just seems so unfair.

Enough complaining. I know I'll feel better in a couple of months and then I'll be doing steady exercising again. The last time I was pregnant (with my first) was actually when I fell in love with exercising. I had always been an on-again off-again exerciser before I got pregnant, but once I was pregnant, and I saw that scale go up 1 lb each week, I stayed really consistent with my workouts and absolutely fell in love with working out. I have stayed consistent with my workouts now for 4 years. It's amazing how much it becomes a part of your life. I found Cathe just one year ago, so I haven't even really gotten to see how high my fitness level will go yet. I am looking forward to my postpartum recovery and getting into the shape of my life!

I have also found this forum invaluable. I have read all the posts since this forum was created knowing that I would be pg soon. I am still reading Exercising Through Your Pregnancy, and sure wish that I had found that book with my last pregnancy. Last time, I really tried to keep my heartrate around 140 bpm. as that was what my doctor recommended, and was consistent with the other information I had read. When I went to my first dr. appt., my nurse couldn't believe that I was doing step aerobics. She told me absolutely not because I could fall! And she told me to keep my heartbeat at 140 bpm. I didn't argue with her...I may just buy her a copy of Dr. Clapp's book though...? She also told me not to lift anything heavier than 20 lbs. including my son! She said I could sit on the couch and hold him. That's insane! I didn't tell her that I had just done PS Legs the day before!

Good luck with the remainder of your pregnancy! I hope I will feel so good in my 9th month!

Stacey EDD 10-30; 1 *adorable* son, 28 months

Hi Stacey and Sue!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Mar-22-00 AT 04:07PM (EST)</font></center>

Oh my gosh, I need a tissue! As I sit here and read these posts with my little Eric on my lap(so you can just imagine how long it will take me to type this
wink.gif
)I'm just so overcome with emotion. Its so hard to believe that it was just a few short months ago that I was feeling like you Sue, and not much longer than that that I was experiencing your early pregnancy good/bad day feelings Stacey. And to now sit here and have this special guy sitting on my lap----its just such an emotional feeling. While I'll forever love this new bundle of joy on the "outside" of my body, I really miss the feeling and excitement of the unknown of when he was inside of my body. Reading all of your stories brings back that rush of excitement. I'm so happy that this forum has been such a postive contribution to your pregnancies. I felt(and still very much feel)the same way too. Its such a nice and secure feeling to have a support group to turn to for advice and comfort. I wish you and all of the other wonderful moms, and moms-to-be, a happy, healthy, and joyous future. Each and every day has so much love to offer and so much love to receive.

Hang in there everyone and don't hesitate to share your pregnancy and/or motherhood stories with us.

Thanks for asking!

I'm just starting my 25th week and feeling awesome! This is my first pregnancy and I'm a little ashamed to admit that even though I wanted this baby more than anything in the world, I was very worried about losing control of my body. And I wasn't a very happy camper in the first trimester--continually naueous (despite which I managed to gain 10 pounds--how did that happen?), dog tired all the time, short tempered. Thank goodness my husband is a living saint. But I have felt great in the last 2 months and even though I'm slowly getting bigger (weight gain has slowed to about 1/2 pound a week so far) I feel capable of handling it. I'm continuing my regular workouts and teaching my Body Pump class (gradually lowering weights as I get bulkier!) and even though just today I found myself pining for Interval Max, I've happily readjusted my mindset to accommodate the "bean."

As for baby Porter, he or she is growing well and kicking up a storm (usually just as I am trying to drift off to sleep). At my last doctor's visit, they discovered that the baby had an irregular heartbeat, but have both a sonogram and a fetal echocardiogram, the doctors assured us that it almost certainly is not serious and will resolve itself before or soon after birth. After the sonogram, I think it finally hit both of us that this really is going to happen, so we've been busy buying our baby furniture, registering for gifts, signing up for childbirth classes, etc.
It's all so exciting!

And Cathe (and Sheila), I want to add my thanks to those that have already come your way. I am so glad to have this forum--there is so little out pregnancy information out there for experienced excercisers and everyone here is so helpful and supportive. Thanks for taking this journey with us!

Hazel

Thanks Hazel

You made my day. I am so glad that you have been helped by the forum. Keep us posted. You're doing great!

Sheila

Hi Everyone - I am so excited to be joining you!!

I am almost 8 weeks pregnant - due date Nov. 4th and have been trying to stay active with jogging and weight training. The thing that gets me on the treadmill is that I am in a wedding this weekend and have to squeeze into a very form fitting dress! After that, I don't know what my motivation will be, but I will find it. Although, I may cut out the jogging and stick to walking. Well, I have been extremely queasy for the past few weeks and nothing makes me feel better. I mean, shouldn't exercise alleviate that feeling since it seems to cure everything else?!?! No luck! I found the book, "Expecting Fitness" to be extremely helpful with my pregnancy workouts and I will use it throughout. Good luck to everyone here!

Shannon

Hi Hazel!

So nice to see you post again. I was wondering how you were doing. Thanks for sharing your news with us. Hang in there. You sound like your doing awesome and making wise decisions for you and baby Porter. Please keep us updated!

Hi Shannon!

Congratulations on your pregnancy. 8 weeks and going strong. Sorry to hear about your queasiness. That will hopefully be alleviated by the 12th week or so. It would be nice if exercise cured those queasy feelings but raging hormones have a mind of their own
wink.gif
! Enjoy the book Expecting Fitness. I have been hearing wonderful things about it. Have fun at the wedding too.

Rockin' along with it

I'm going on 26 weeks. The baby is kicking and moving alot! Especially when I do pelvic tilts on my hands and knees. I think he likes being rocked already. The morning sickness has passed but the tiredness and just plain pooped feeling hasn't gone. I am so breathless climbing the stairs. I still work out upt to 6 days a week alternating strength and aerobic days. But I wear my heartrate monitor and just getting my weights and step together has me already warmup up!

I am gaining too much weight as usual. I hate getting on the scale. Last doctor appointment, I bursted into tears because here I am working out great, eating great and the weight is just piling on. Especially in my butt, thighs and breasts. I think it's because I'm over 30 now and my body just wants to gain faster than my other pregnancies. I thought for sure there would be 2 babies in my womb after feeling sooo sick in my first trimester. Nope! Just one little baby boy:)
Running after my 2 year old is getting tougher. She wants to sit on my lap but my tummy is getting too big for that. I am getting some mild contractions but that is only when I haven't had enough to drink. It's amazing when I keep the fluids down that it gives me more energy. although I have to visit the bathroom more.

I finally bought some baby boy clothes and am feeling that nesting urge already. For instance, I want to get my bag packed for the hospital. I don't want to be caught early like Cathe:)) It's hard to believe I will be holding this little guy in my arms in a few short months down the road like Cathe.

I cry alot because I am feeling so overwhelmingly big and nothing fits anymore. I know I cry also because of the hormones of pregnancy. This really is a sacrifice being pregnant:) I'm really looking forward to Cathe's new tapes. That will be my focus when I'm pushing the baby out:)))

Hi, Mandy

I'm sorry to hear that you're not feeling your best right now, but I just wanted to let you know that since I heard that you and I are due around the same time (mid-July, right?) you have been a source of inspiration for me on those days when I really would rather sit on the couch and eat a bowl of Pralines and Cream. I saw your success story on the FIRM website and every time I feel a little tired or don't want to work out, I think "Well Mandy has six little kids and a seventh on the way and she still is working out, so you have no reason not to get up and do it!"

Hang in there!

Hi again!

It was great hearing from you ladies! One thing I didn't have in common with most of you this time around was the dreaded morning sickness. I DID have it with my daughter for the first three months of that pregnancy so I can sympathize.....yuck!
This time around I was pretty much nausea-free.

Mandy Lee, I also sympathize with you regarding the butt and thigh thing. My darling son was watching me do a step tape a few months back and he asked me why my butt looked as big as my belly! (Actually, HE WAS RIGHT!!!) The weird thing is, in my non-pregnant state, my butt is not one of my trouble spots, but during this pregnancy, it seems to be THE primary location of those "maternal stores" I keep reading about in the pregnancy books.

I've put stepping on hold for now and I'm walking as much as possible for the cardio benefits. Sometimes even walking briskly brings on an annoying side stitch and I end up waddling home from where-ever it is I am. I've always been a fast walker and I find it kind of funny when I see the senior citizens breezing past me on the streets! Working out with weights hasn't caused me any discomfort so far, and I'm glad I was able to keep up with the weight work.

I haven't packed a hospital bag yet, but I'll do it this week (in case I'm early like Cathe was!) I thought by now we'd be living in our new house but it wont be ready for another couple of months. Now I'm getting the nesting urge BIG TIME, trying to make room for the new baby's stuff, and trying to get this place presentable to visitors. I do accounting work from home part-time and these days, between my paperwork, son's homework, daughter's play-dates, housework, etc., I'm really feeling overwhelmed by everything. I really don't get any opportunities to "just put my feet up" like the doctor says...that's why my legs are looking more and more like water balloons! It's funny how we have nine whole months to prepare for this but when that last month arrives, you realize there's so much to do! (well...that's how I'M feeling, anyway!!!)

One thing I really miss is an intense, sweaty cardio workout! I can't wait to get back to my favorite step tapes (God willing, of course) and I'm really looking forward to getting Cathe's new ones.

Good luck to everyone, and please keep posting about your progress!

Hang in there!

I read your message and felt for you! I too felt awful during my pregnancy in terms of body image and gaining weight even though I only gained 28 lbs. It truly is a sacrifice and I admire you for working out so much even though you are tired. I walked twice a day and that was more than enough! Now I am just as tired but it is because of my little 6 week old who makes it all worth it! Keep your chin up!!!!!!

Hi Mandy Lee!

I read your post and just wanted to reach out and give you a big hug. I remember experiencing many of those feelings. Also, isn't it weird how you can go from one day of feeling so incredibly happy and excited about being pregnant and/or really light on your feet and clear minded, and then, even as soon as the next day, you can feel achey, tired, snappy, and unattractive.

Well, with having six children plus another little one on the way, I think you're energy and attitude is amazing. I admire your strength and committement to your family and yourself.

Keep us posted
happy.gif

Another Boy!

Must be in the air. Just found out we are having a boy too. This will be our 3rd boy. He will round us out to the Brady Bunch. Had to have a sonogram (don't usually) because the Dr. thought there was a possibility of twins. Nope, just one BIG boy. My husband was so relieved that we will still all fit in our van. Feels strange to "cheat" and know that it is a boy already. My honey just couldn't wait.
I am about 23 wks with a due date of Aug 3rd. Managing to continue to teach my class-- think I will have to lower my bench soon though-- and exercise 4-5 times a wk. Feel terrific most of the time although some of the "mystique" of pregnancy has worn off and I am just ready to have the baby.
Know what you mean about feeling out of breath. That seems to be the only symptoms of preg at this point. Well, that and nothing fits! Still not quite ready for maternity clothes but nothing with a waistline fits. Just wearing drawstring pants and tunic type shirts.
Glad to hear others stories and be a part of this community. Thanks for sharing yur experiences!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.