How about some happy dog stories? (Long)

Afreet

Cathlete
At least two forum members have recently lost their canine companions. :( It got me thinking about my two little dogs and how much I will miss them when they're gone, and now I'm sad, and I was hoping to read some dog stories from happier times.

How about it? Your favorite adventure with any dog - I would love to read all about it.

I have had many wonderful experiences with Greta and Afreet. They're 10.5 years old and I actually found them after my next-door neighbor moved and abandoned them in his back yard - they were only around 6 weeks old at the time.

Once, when they were about 3 years old, we were out for a walk and as we rounded a corner, three stray/feral dogs came charging out of nowhere and confronted us aggressively. The three strays were all large breeds - the one I really remember looked like a Chow mix, and probably didn't weigh much less than 100 pounds. The other two dogs were of similar size.

Greta is teeny, she weighs about 12 pounds, and Afreet isn't much bigger - 14 pounds or so.

My usual tactic when I see a loose dog is just to scoop G&A up and get out of there as fast as possible, but this all happened so suddenly I didn't have time. These three dogs were snarling and barking, and I was pretty freaked out. Greta and Afreet actually rushed them (terriers!) and kept up the attack, trying to keep these strange dogs from getting anywhere near me!

The Chow mix kept jumping at me and snapping, and Afreet ran between us and bit at his legs, which drove him back a little. He then focused on Afreet - he lunged forward and grabbed Afreet and started shaking her back and forth. As soon as that happened, I actually leaped onto him and tackled him, and had to pry open his jaws to get him to release Afreet. I managed to grab her and keep hold of her.

The Chow mix then attacked me, and somehow during that struggle I broke my foot. The dog did bite my foot, but I'm not sure if he broke it by chomping on it or if I broke it trying to kick it free.

I managed to kick my way out of my scrap with the Chow mix. I got back up and turned to find Greta holding off the other two dogs just by barking and growling at them. I will never forget the sight of my tiny little dog facing down two dogs - each at least 5 times her size - with nothing but her own ferocious terrier disposition.

I managed to chase off the three stray dogs, collect G&A, and limp back to my car. We immediately went to the emergency vet, because Afreet had been bitten pretty badly and she was bleeding.

I limped into the vet's office, covered in blood (mine & Afreet's), and after Afreet had been whisked off to surgery, the vet actually x-rayed my foot for me. She told me that if I were a dog, she might put a cast on it, but since she doubted that I would worry at it too much, she suggested that I stay off it and it would get better on its own in 6-8 weeks. :)

Poor Afreet had to have the dog bites cut open to allow them to drain properly, and then she had to have stitches, but she recovered very nicely - no damage to her organs, just flesh wounds (we were VERY, VERY lucky). While they were investigating her injuries, I was in tears, afraid that she might be more seriously hurt - but I think her least favorite part was having to wear a onesie so she couldn't pull out the stitches.

Whenever someone tells me that small dogs aren't as good as larger breeds, or that dogs only hang around with us for the food, I think of this series of events. I feel awful that I put my dogs in such a dangerous position (even inadvertently), but I feel very privileged to have such valiant little defenders! They don't care that they're small - they threw themselves into the fight with total conviction and deported themselves very bravely (I think).

It was a terrifying and very disturbing experience, and I now carry pepper spray, just in case, but our walks have been drama-free (at least, by comparison) ever since.

Well, that's my dog story. Hoping to read some more!

Terriers = BIG dogs in little packages. :D Love them terriers!

Your story had me in tears. Thankfully everything turned out well in the end.

I can tell a very happy story about a friend's dog--2 in fact both the same person Mary. Mary recently agreed to foster a dying abused dog of 15 years described as a hospice situation. Lady looked absolutely awful. She could barely stand up. Well it is 6 months later and Lady is NOT dying has the energy of a puppy and is swimming in the pool, playing fetch and running up and down a very long driveway. Mary cooks for her dogs even making their biscuits. Lady has a big air mattress with a fleece cover for a bed and 2 canine friends and has become close with the cat. Lady is a springer spaniel and actually a very beautiful dog. I doubt she is 15 more like 7 or 8.
The second story is a lost cocker spaniel Mary adopted thru a local shelter--Ava. Ava wasn't feeling well recently so off to the vet where she had a full body xray. Found out she has a metal plate in her leg and the vet said this had to be a $3000 operation and that obviously she had been someone's well loved dog. No microchip. Mary has had Ava for about 2 years now and she is in the process of trying to track down Ava's original family.

Can't think of a dog story right now, but here's a pic of my Yellow Lab reluctantly wearing his Christmas garb...

IMG_1194.jpg

Awww!

Mine have made it very clear to me that I'm on my own in all future conflicts if I ever try to make them wear any clothes.

At all.

Ever.

:p

LOL...

The hat stayed on Casey about 10 seconds (just long enough for the photo op)... and the jingle bell fuzzy scarf lasted until the bell drove me crazy and I had to remove it for my sanity! He definitely thinks he's too "manly" for clothes...and your tough-as-nails doggies are definitely not taking any crap by wearing clothes!!

Awww, Afreet and Greta have amazing spirits! I'm always amazed by people who think dogs do not have feelings. They are bundles of pure love and loyalty.

Denise, Casey is just too cute in his Christmas outfit! :D

Happy dog story.... I'm not sure if you saw my post a week or two ago about my sister's new puppy. After the sad loss of their beloved 13 year old corgi Susie, my sister's family added a boy corgi (Cash, aka Johnny Cash) to their family. Johnny Cash was Susie's favorite music.

Here are some photos of my corgi nephew Cash:).

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I can tell a very happy story about a friend's dog--2 in fact both the same person Mary. Mary recently agreed to foster a dying abused dog of 15 years described as a hospice situation. Lady looked absolutely awful. She could barely stand up. Well it is 6 months later and Lady is NOT dying has the energy of a puppy and is swimming in the pool, playing fetch and running up and down a very long driveway. Mary cooks for her dogs even making their biscuits. Lady has a big air mattress with a fleece cover for a bed and 2 canine friends and has become close with the cat. Lady is a springer spaniel and actually a very beautiful dog. I doubt she is 15 more like 7 or 8.
The second story is a lost cocker spaniel Mary adopted thru a local shelter--Ava. Ava wasn't feeling well recently so off to the vet where she had a full body xray. Found out she has a metal plate in her leg and the vet said this had to be a $3000 operation and that obviously she had been someone's well loved dog. No microchip. Mary has had Ava for about 2 years now and she is in the process of trying to track down Ava's original family.

Yay! Your friend rocks!

The first dog I had in my life was a dog named Penny. She was a rat terrier.
I don't remember any of this but my mom has told me this story many times.

Sometime before I had started kindergarten I would go across the street and walk down that side of the street. Penny would follow me right on my heels. I guess this occurred many times. One day a dog that lived across the street was out and attacked Penny. She was ok. But after that when I would go across the street she couldn't follow anymore but she
would stay on our side of the street and walk and down our side 'with' me.

Another time when we went on vacation we got out at a rest area and later driving down the road a few miles my mom shouts "where's Penny!"
We turned around and drove back to the rest area. She was just meandering around the rest area right where we left her, never realizing she had been left behind. :eek:

Lilly

My little sweetie, Lilly, loves to get dressed up. She won't walk with booties on though and if I try to put them on her and go, she drags all four feet and doesn't move. Here she is in her Christmas outfit.

Laura

Attachments

• Happy Holidays.jpg
    Happy Holidays.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 2
LOL...

He definitely thinks he's too "manly" for clothes...and your tough-as-nails doggies are definitely not taking any crap by wearing clothes!!

That's too funny!
I use to dress me and Mercedes in matching outfits for puppy class and obedience class. Mercedes loved her clothes :), but she had very thin fur so she appreciated them in the winter. Funny, I ran into someone we went to puppy class. I thought it was strange she remembered me after 8 years. LOL I think it was our outfits. :D:D:D

My DH put his foot down for clothes for our boy Maximus. We named him after the Gladiator. I even bought Maximus a gladiator collar that he grew past in no time.
Here is a picture of Maximus sitting next to a boxer statue wearing the collar he was suppose to grow into! LOL

ry%3D480

Last edited:
awe, all the dogs are so cute.....
Here is my baby... She is a Yorkiepoo 15 months old and weighs 8 llbs
She can jump about 2 feet higher than our counter tops!

Attachments

• IMG00070-20090823-1411.jpg
    IMG00070-20090823-1411.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 4
  • image001.jpg
    image001.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 3783868700_b9d2cbe6af.jpg
    3783868700_b9d2cbe6af.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 7
My little sweetie, Lilly, loves to get dressed up. She won't walk with booties on though and if I try to put them on her and go, she drags all four feet and doesn't move. Here she is in her Christmas outfit.

Laura

Lilly is a real sweetheart! Regarding booties...a couple years ago my dog cut the bottom of one of his front paws and one of his back paws. Until they healed, I had to put baggies on his feet every time I let him out, and I secured them with electrical tape... It was SUCH a pain...and he'd end up somehow getting them off anyway... I was thinking later that I should have invested in booties instead of baggies:), but he probably wouldn't have wanted to wear the booties anyway!

Cynthia - Maximus is definitely a handsome guy! I had to laugh because when I first looked at the picture, I thought he was the statue... until I looked closer! I'm thinking I need a trip to the eye doctor....:(

Body Break - Your Yorkiepoo is precious!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.