Hot (Bikram Yoga) ~

baylian

Cathlete
I took the plunge right before Christmas and loved it. Unfortunately the studio is 85 miles away In Farmington Hills, MI although they just opened a new studio In Troy, MI that is only 75 miles away. I have to say that my joints have never felt better after a class. Turning 50 this year sent me into a tail spin especially after I found out that I have Osteopenia and some arthritis in my hips and shoulders. The studio is pretty state of the art - the floor is an antimicrobial type of flooring (looks like melted rubber bands) and the walls are a water proof type of drywall so to speak. Honestly - it doesn't stink. I fully expected it to.

I am not a huge fan of Bikram Choudray as I feel he has turned the yoga community on its ear with his endless lawsuits. Plus his training is almost bordering on ridiculous. You spend 9 weeks in L.A. and workout sometimes up to 15 hours a day - and all it costs is around $10-$12 grand. I don't know how people do it. I know that Yoga Fit has added a new component called Yoga Sweat but I have not heard the details.

I am wondering if any of you have taken a hot yoga class that is not otherwise associated with the Bikram College of Yoga and what your take is on it.

I was under the impression that Mr. Bikram sues the pants off of any studio that tries to conduct "hot yoga" classes that aren't officially Bikram trained/certified. But there might be new legal information on this front, I stopped paying attention several years ago. I know what you mean about feeling so good after class, but I got tired of the same poses over and over, and I didn't feel good about supporting someone like him.

I'm not a huge fan of Bikram. Up here in N. CA we have lots of hot yoga studios. I don't suppose all of them are Bikram. I really wish he would give the law suits a rest. Yoga is an ancient practice, how could anybody actually presume that their style is new or novel? The sheer age of the practice must place it as a tradition not one that can be 'copyright' protected.

Maybe a yoga disc in the summer without air conditioning would help?

I think I remember Vee saying that in India it is always hot so anytime you practice yoga its hot yoga.

Alisha

Not sure if Bikram would think this violates one of his copyrights, but whenever I stay in an ashram during the summer months we practice outside in the heat.;) The yoga studio I attend in the city is pretty small and it can get pretty hot in there during a class, especially when it's really busy.

Obviously, you can push yourself more when you are warmed up so I can see why the "hot yoga" classes are so popular but I'm more of a traditionalist so I tend to avoid these big yoga studio chains. It's just my preference and what works for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.