HIIT"s in early pregnancy

Another thing I thought about was your joint stability will change quickly too. Mine started around week 8 or 9. Little things like going down the stairs and my knees would buckle or I had more flexibility in hips which led to more instability. Be careful with that too. I have a hard time taking walks because my left foot and ankle are now so loose that the instability causes me to roll it very easily. I walked to the laundry room yesterday and my ankled swelled. Hormones do crazy things and you never know how your body will respond until you're in that situation. We're all different.

Loose joints were almost always my first sign that I was pregnant, even before I could take a test. I would fall or trip while doing step because my ankles and knees would be too wobbly, and I couldn't lift as heavy because my wrists were too loose. I would drop plates and cups because my fingers wouldn't grip right. Very clear sign to me that I had a baby on board! Funny stuff. :)

All four of my pregnancies I developed a huge cold. By pregnancy #4 I knew 10 days before a test showed a positive.

For me, this baby won't be here until November and while I have my calm moments, I will NEVER be completely at ease until she is in my arms. Losing 3 and even with this one, we've had a few medical scares with possible chromosomal defects. So far we're in the good, but if you have a history like some of us do, you will find that while you may love being pregnant (I do too) that you can finally relax and breathe only when they arrive.

If you have a smooth pregnancy, the only real jitters you will get are the ones facing you about motherhood. If you have complications, you may find motherhood jitters are the furthest from your thoughts bc just getting baby here is all that matters at this point. I know for me motherhood will be smooth sailing compared to our pregnancy history.

Thank you so much! This is #1 and I am soooo excited! Looking forward to every part of this journey! I have a jari love DVD, are all of hers mostly low impact?

Grace, most of Jari's DVDs are low impact because they are total body weight routines only. The exceptions are the workouts with "1000" in the title, as those have cardio blasts, and also her Bootcamp DVD. But check the DVD preview video clip to be sure. Jari's workouts are low weight/high rep, which I read is safe for pregnancy. I know she bothers a lot of people on this forum, but I like her. It's a personal preference thing. I felt really good doing these workouts. You do have to modify later in pregnancy when you can no longer be flat on your back or do crunches.

PM me if you want me to send you a list of some of the DVDs by Cathe and other instructors that I used during pregnancy. :)

So would any from this site be Ok? is this the site you mean for Bar Method?

Bar Method Exercise DVDs and Accessories

OMG I am excited because I have this one already............dancers body. Do you think its ok if I do this one? its challenging from what i remember, but no impact at all !! is ab work ok at this point?

Bar Method Exercise DVDs and Accessories

maybe i could also get the super scupting ones? would that be ok?

I love Dancer's Body! Any of The Bar Methods would be great for pregnancy, throughout your gestation. I have all of them, so I know what's in each one, and the weights used are only 3-5 pounds. Very, very doable and safe for baby. The ab work is incredible in those DVDs because you do all of them in a C-curve position, not flat on your back. At some point you won't be able to C-curve anymore, but you have quite awhile. Ab work is fine while you're expecting. It will make recovery that much easier. I don't have the prenatal workout, but I know they do all the modifications to fit your big belly toward the end.

I don't think you need to buy any special DVDs at all.

You can use a lot of Cathe's weight training DVDs that you already have, and just adapt as you go along (i.e., all work done as incline, rather than flat on your back from 2nd trimester onwards).

You also don't need to buy a treadmill. I powerwalk all over town. I have mapped out 7, 11, 12 mile circuits and I just do the one I want. I include any hill I encounter and some I do multiple times for hill repeats. No treadmill here! And MI is known for its flat land.......

Save your cash for buying a crib, stroller, etc, etc. Because, boy, does the cost of a child start adding up fast!

I don't mean to scare you with what I wrote. Normal exercise is just fine unless you are told otherwise. It's just that Cathe tops off at the high and intense end of the scale and that isn't what you need right now. So, stick with her weight training as you feel comfortable, and use any low impact and steady state DVDs. I'm sure you'll be able to cobble together quite a lot of do-able stuff from your collection.

I was heavily into Cathe's step when I discovered I was pregnant with my first. It wasn't that anything was contraindicated, but very quickly in the first trimester, I just wasn't comfortable anymore doing step. Lumbering up and over the step felt exactly like that: lumbering, no longer flying.

And the point someone made about your joints feeling loose and wobbly is a very valid point. Your hormones will be relaxing your ligaments from now onwards, so be careful how you plant your foot and don't over-extend into any position. You'll know when it's time to adapt. You'll just start to feel uncomfortable and like it's all too much: once you start having to make so many modifications, it just isn't worth it anymore, then you know it's time to hit the pool or just walk.

Never underestimate the power of walking. And while 8 and 9 months pregnant, nothing made me feel graceful except being in the pool. There I could still complete my mile swims.....

Relax, enjoy the process, let things happen and trust your body's reactions. Your body knows better than your mind does what it needs for the next 9 months. You will find it talking to you: just listen.

Clare

I love Dancer's Body! Any of The Bar Methods would be great for pregnancy, throughout your gestation. I have all of them, so I know what's in each one, and the weights used are only 3-5 pounds. Very, very doable and safe for baby. The ab work is incredible in those DVDs because you do all of them in a C-curve position, not flat on your back. At some point you won't be able to C-curve anymore, but you have quite awhile. Ab work is fine while you're expecting. It will make recovery that much easier. I don't have the prenatal workout, but I know they do all the modifications to fit your big belly toward the end.

Thanks Natalie
I am so thrilled you said Any of those bar methods would be ok. Last night I did Dancers Body, it was great. I only used 3lbs but I have 5lbs too, it was my FIRST workout since I found out so I was being xtra cautious. I am also glad you commented on the ab work and that its ok as its in the C-curve position. I really appreciate your responses on this. I am so thrilled and nervous at the same time. And I have no one to talk to! Its SO hard to NOT call my best friend or my sister and tell them that I am finally pregnant. I am so thankful I can come here and talk to people, moms with experience. etc !!

I looked at my dvd's last night and I think I have a good amount that are NOT high impact, to use over the next 9 months, that in combination with going for speed walks around town I think I will be good. I have:

Tracy Anderson MAT
Jari Love Slim and Lean
Tonique2 (which is 2 dvd's - mostly lunges, squats)
Cardio Barre
Bar Method Advanced Dancers Body
Tonique Cardio Mat (i think this is ok) - no jumping but gets hr up
BBL - BumBum (no jumping)
BBL - High and Tight (no jumping)
I ordered the Body By Trimester pregnancy DVD so I can throw that into the mix too.

What do you guys thinK? THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grace, most of Jari's DVDs are low impact because they are total body weight routines only. The exceptions are the workouts with "1000" in the title, as those have cardio blasts, and also her Bootcamp DVD. But check the DVD preview video clip to be sure. Jari's workouts are low weight/high rep, which I read is safe for pregnancy. I know she bothers a lot of people on this forum, but I like her. It's a personal preference thing. I felt really good doing these workouts. You do have to modify later in pregnancy when you can no longer be flat on your back or do crunches.

PM me if you want me to send you a list of some of the DVDs by Cathe and other instructors that I used during pregnancy. :)

Will do, thank you!

Thanks Natalie
I am so thrilled you said Any of those bar methods would be ok. Last night I did Dancers Body, it was great. I only used 3lbs but I have 5lbs too, it was my FIRST workout since I found out so I was being xtra cautious. I am also glad you commented on the ab work and that its ok as its in the C-curve position. I really appreciate your responses on this. I am so thrilled and nervous at the same time. And I have no one to talk to! Its SO hard to NOT call my best friend or my sister and tell them that I am finally pregnant. I am so thankful I can come here and talk to people, moms with experience. etc !!

I looked at my dvd's last night and I think I have a good amount that are NOT high impact, to use over the next 9 months, that in combination with going for speed walks around town I think I will be good. I have:

Tracy Anderson MAT
Jari Love Slim and Lean
Cardio Barre
I ordered the Body By Trimester pregnancy DVD so I can throw that into the mix too.

What do you guys thinK? THANK YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think this looks great! But you can still use Cathe as well. The Low Impact Series would be a great choice, but most of her workouts are easily modified as the previous poster said. I didn't discover Cathe until after my son was born, so I used The Firm and Minna Lessig during my pregnancies up until I was put on bedrest each time.

I'm glad you have an outlet to talk about the pregnancy! I have no ability to keep such a secret, so we told everybody from the very start! :D

Grace10209 -

I don't have anything to add, but just wanted to say CONGRATULATIONS!

And it must be killing you not to tell your sister or bf...how long can that last? Wouldn't be long for me! :)

I hope you have a wonderful pregnancy"

Tracy Anderson MAT
Jari Love Slim and Lean
Cardio Barre

The above list looks just fine to me, no worries there! Sylwia's Toniques will include a cardio effect, but without the impact, this is fine.

Have fun,

Clare

I think this looks great! But you can still use Cathe as well. The Low Impact Series would be a great choice, but most of her workouts are easily modified as the previous poster said. I didn't discover Cathe until after my son was born, so I used The Firm and Minna Lessig during my pregnancies up until I was put on bedrest each time.

I'm glad you have an outlet to talk about the pregnancy! I have no ability to keep such a secret, so we told everybody from the very start! :D

Hi Natalie
thanks again, i just sent you a PM> hope to hear back. thank you!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.