High Step - in England???

Hi Anna, everyone

to be honest I find pro active very expensive, I bought my club step from them earlier this year, it cost me £61.99 with two extra risers, but by the time they put postal charges on it= vat it came to around £89, plus I have bought other things from them such as videos, medicine balls etc, and they are costly, because of the VAT+ POSTAGE.
I sometimes find that orders from abroad are usually overall cheaper than when I buy them here.
I would love them to stock it but, I dread to think what pro active will charge for the topper if it is great demand, I'm only speculating but I will wait and see.

Hotchick
;-)
I dont think that $75 in canadian dollars is to bad for shipping either, but hopefully it may be less overall when they weigh it.
The UPS here charged me around £10.95 for handling my cathe dvds plus they collected the customs charge of £27 for the goods so I had to part with £37.95 at my front door, as well as paying the $24.99 cathe postal charge. Anna I am glad you introduced me to CK SALES.

£10.95 just for handling!! *faint*

Now that I've thought about it a bit more, I think you're both right :) It's not that high a shipping charge especially when you consider the size/weight.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

Hello UKers. I live in London, and hear you on the frustrations of shipping and customs charges. I have a full-size step with 10 risers, but that doesn't get me "up" enough for Cathe's (or the Firm's) tall box work. However, I haven't been too tempted by the High Step topper because I have a wooden side table in my living room (which is also my workout area) that doubles nicely as a high step, at 15", and since space is tight at our flat, I like having things that serve two purposes. There are also various kinds of step stools available in hardware stores or DIY stores which can substitute for tall boxes/high steps. Some handy people have made their own tall steps (or had their handy friends/husbands do so) - instructions can be found on Videofitness, I think. Anyway you have probably already thought of these different options, and just want a nice High Step like Cathe's, but just wanted to point these out.

KPlondon

Hi everyone - I hope you don't mind me jumping in on your thread. I was just curious, because being a Canadian - I have some of those worries sometimes if I order from the U.S.

Do you always get charged duties on whatever you purchase from overseas? Is there any difference between stuff from Canada and the U.S.?

I find UPS (for Canada anyways) to be the absolute worst because they have such high fees. I always get ground shipping or USPS. I find it very hard to believe that grounmail would take 4-6 months to get there.

I also find that everyone charges more than the actual costs to ship.

I'm curious how it works for you. I'm thinking about ordering a topper from CKSales (depending on how much they will charge for the shipping), so if I do, maybe I can order two, and do a trial with someone - ship it to you at actual cost and see how long it takes for groundmail and how expensive the actual cost is.

But I guess the downside is if groundmail takes longer than I am thinking....

Duty isn't always charged. It depends on the carrier and whether your parcel attracts the attentions of customs. Some items, like books, are tax free but most are taxable and quite often the charges are quite low... until you apply the handling fee :( It used to be that the postman or courier would ask for the money at your door but these days, you'll get a card through your door telling you to come to the post office and hand over the money else you won't get the parcel. Well, it's not worded quite like that but it's not far from it!

I agree with you re. ground shipping. I always choose the slowest option because the faster options almost guarantee a charge and at times, an overcharge. Amazon take about 2 weeks on the slowest option, B&N take anywhere between a few days and 3 months (!), CKSales take less than a week.

That's very kind of you to offer! Thank you so much :) Judging by everyone's concerns about the costs, I think we might all take you up on that :)
ATB,

Thought id add my $10 in as i started the thread! I have a grey step bench with four risers, making it 8 inches in height. I have gone out and bought a little box riser (kinda thing you would use to reach something a little higher up). Is grey, it cost me £10, its ugly, but it fits the step and is 8 inches high making my step 16 inches when i need it (im 6ft tall). Do i feel deprived that i haven't got a high step? Yep! Do i wish i had one? Yep. Will i pay out for one from America? Nope! And am i getting the same benefits from my step much and ugly add one? Course i am...sigh. Why do we feel the need to buy these things even though we can make do? Truth is, though i'm getting the same benefit, i still really really want one! How sad and needy is that! lol

Wayne

Does anyone know how much the topper weighs? Maybe I could get half a dozen in my suitcase!!!!....I,m wondering if airport charges are less than UPS??
Sue

>Does anyone know how much the topper weighs? Maybe I could
>get half a dozen in my suitcase!!!!....I,m wondering if
>airport charges are less than UPS??
>Sue

Oooooh! We could all meet you at the airport! :)
AFAIK, there aren't airport charges (I've never brought anything more than DVDs, CDs and clothes back before now so I might be wrong), just import and VAT.
ATB,
Edited to add: I haven't seen any mention of how much it will weigh online so far, but if you know how much a riser weighs, maybe the mini topper would weigh twice as much? The packing would add to the weight as well, although I doubt it would add enough to make much of a difference in shipping costs.

Hehe it's not sad! It's called being a big kid and still getting that same pure joy out of life (and stuff :D ) as a grownup that you had as a child. Nothing wrong with that and you're certainly in good company :) I agree that it's not absolutely necessary to have one and that there are plenty of ways to substitute with something that might be a lot cheaper but I haven't got the storage space! It will change once we buy our first house (we're wannabe first time buyers who are saving and hoping for a drop in prices) - well I hope so anyway :) but for the time being I'm subbing with more lunges. I do just about have enough room to store a mini topper and up to two more risers behind the door with the rest of my step.
ATB,

Anna,
Go read your yahoo mail. If Chris can give you a weight and an estimate on shipping from them to me in Michigan, we can figure out how much it will be for me to send to you. :) :)

Dawn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.