High Step - how high to go?

cks1025

Cathlete
Hey everyone!
I am ordering the High Step and was wondering how high to go? I have the 12" or is it 14" Rubbermaid Step Stool at home. Should I order enough risers to make it 16" or even 18" or do you think that is too high?

Any advice is welcomed.

Thanks!
Charlene

Depends on what you want to use it for. For sitting on, or using for "sit-and-stand" squats, or for using as a support for your forward hand when doing one-arm lat rows, I like 18". For step-ups, I wouldn't go above 14". Rather than increase the height, I find it helpful to focus on step=up form and on squatting down a bit into the lower position before pushing up through the heel.

Thanks Kathryn - I'll use it for various things so I'll go w/the 18". this way I can get full use out of it. I agree w/you that 18" is too high for the step up. That's too much on the knees!
Thanks again.
Charlene

I'm so glad this topic came up. I am fairly tall (5'8") with longish legs. For now, I use the rubbermaid step (which is about 13.5") and I never feel like my butt works hard enough. It feels like the work is mostly in my quads. It makes sense that a 14" step would work someone who is 5'2" differently than it would someone 6" taller. The Firm used to sell a 17 or 18" step for advanced or tall exercisers. Did anyone try it? More generally, how do you know you have gone too high?

More generally, how do you know you have gone too high?
>
A general guideline is that your knee should not be at "tighter" than a 90-degree angle at the bottom of the movement. I find that the "squat at the bottom and push through heels" works well for getting the motion into the butt.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.