High cholesterol--help!

lcvander

(That's better--now everyone can see what this is about! :))

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if any of you fit, healthy exercisers out there have had any problems with high cholesterol in the past (or present)...wanting to know if anyone has any recommendations about specific supplements or foods (aside from oatmeal and the standard low fat diet). My doc said she thinks it's more genetic than anything else so I will probably have to go on meds, but I am only 27 so I hate that thought! Maybe there are some encouraging stories about lowering cholesterol through vigorous Cathe workouts?

Thanks in advance for your moral support--I really need it!

Lauren

My sister in law was just diagnosed with high cholesterol and the doctor said it was because she lives a typical 'cubicle' lifestyle - lots of coffee, lunches out of the vending machine, etc. He told her to take walks during lunch, drink more water, and get more sleep. As far as meds, he didn't prescribe any. Hope this helps.

Same thing has happened with my husband. His doctor told him to drink 64 oz of water a day. No fast foods at all and to walk 30 min everyday, lower the fat in his diet=no fried or creamy sauces on his food. He is also taking a stress-tab vitamin and drinking a soy milkshake everyday. Soy is excellent in helping raise your good cholesterol. He is supposed to go back to his doctor next week to see how all of this is helping him.

Kim

Well, yes I lowered my cholesterol with weight loss and exercise, but on the other hand my genetically high blood pressure went nowhere and I had to start meds for that a year ago. Happily it was easier to get used to than I thought and I have had no noticeable side effects. Point is, some of us are going to have genetic limitations on what we can accomplish without meds, and if you happen to be one of us, at least you're not alone. Wishing you the best! --Karen

In March 2000, my total cholesterol was 238. Before my test results I was a very sporadic exerciser. After getting the results, I made an effort to be more consistent in my exercise. I also added a lot of garlic, onions and bell peppers to my diet. I add garlic to almost everything I cook now. The other dietary adjustment I made was to try to eat more fruits and vegetables and less fast food. In March 2001 my cholesterol was down to 185.

My DH rode his bike or walked or ran about everywhere he went, played tennis, ran 4 miles a day 6 days a week, ate very very well and had cholesterol at 250. I in those days was not working out a whole lot ate whatever I wanted and mine was 150 a full one hundred points lower than his.

Today I work out A LOT, eat very very well myself and my cholesterol is about 169 at my last physical. A good friend of mine works out even more than I do, eats even better and her's was well over 200 her last physical.

Go figure is all I know to say. I think it IS genetics by in large.

Edith

Thanks everyone--I definitely need to get even more consistent with the exercise and better with the diet, but I think Karen and Edith are right, and I need to try to accept that it's just one of those things I don't have too much control over. I did a course of Accutane for my skin a few years ago, and it really helped my skin but for some reason it elevates people's cholesterol, and mine has never gone back down to a normal level. Oh well. I discovered that Twinlabs makes a supplement called Cholesterol Success, with the plant derivatives that help lower cholesterol, so I'll probably give that a try too and see if I can work any miracles before my next check-up...

Thanks again for the helpful advice!

Lauren

FYI: High cholesterol--help!

Hi Lauren

I thought I would just add that there is a new test being developed to help with checking no only cholesterol but also checks on if there is any disease or possible damage to the heart through having high cholesterol levels (especially if heart diseases are genetic) it has a very long name but they just prick your finger and use that for the test.

It is being developed in the UK and should hopefully be ready for testing next year.

Not sure if this is of any interest.

Babs

I also just got my cholestoral test results back. She said they're not awful (the "bad" chol. is 124 I think and they like it to be under 130), but since I'm 24yo and my mom has high chol and blood pressure, I should watch it.

It's kind of a wake-up call since I've thought all of my junk food habits didn't effect me that much. I also work in an office, get Starbucks in the morning, vending machine goodies, and fast food. Exercise can't overcompensate poor eating habits.

I think a good goal would be to lower out saturated fats (that's what my doctor said). I didn't realize all the fried food I eat for lunch and the constant supply of baked goods at work!

You're young so you can change things for the better in plenty of time!

Hi everyone,

Guess I have to come out of lurking to answer this. I do clinical research in preventive cardiology, and focus mainly on cholesterol (including current work on a genetic study for people with low HDL). While there are foods and nutrients to recommend, as well as EXERCISE, I would be more curious to know your LDL ("bad" cholesterol) and HDL ("good" cholesterol) levels, as well as triglycerides, before I offer any advice. In the meantime, don't stop with whole grains and vegetables, omega-3 fatty acids, and B vitamins, and PLEASE stay away from red meat and dairy products, as well as saturated fats, as much as possible. (And have a heart-healthy Thanksgiving!)

I have high cholesterol and mine is genetic. I have managed to get it down to 214 through diet predominantly (was at 270+). I am an aerobic instructor and would not be able to exercise more (without overuse injuries that is) so I need to focus on diet.
I have to say that what you eat is very important to the cholestrol equation. Eating the right kind of carbohydrates, such as fruits, vegetables and fiber, while minimizing the processed carbohydrates seems to have helped me alot. I also had to add the "good" fat back into my diet before my good HDL cholestrol got too low so make sure that you don't give up the right kind of fat (such as canola and olive oil). In addition, I am an "egg responder" which means that if I eat whole eggs my cholestrol increases.
Good luck with controlling your cholestrol. I do believe you can do alot of work with your diet but it does take some time to get results so be patient and keep working at it.
Sheila

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-02 AT 11:30AM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Lauren,

I wanted to give you my experience.

I would've been the perfect candidate to be diagnosed with "genetic" high cholesterol. My entire family has it, PLUS I've had it since I was a kid (now in my 30s)! However, I've never been treated for it.

Four years ago, my cholesterol was 276, HDL 57, triglycerides 194.
Two years ago, cholesterol dropped to 222, HDL 58, triglycerices 76.
In Oct. 2002, cholesterol dropped to 180! (almost 100 points):D

The reason I feel so compelled to write is to encourage you NOT to just give up and say it's genetic until you've really tried HARD to control it on your own. It takes some work, but it's a lot better than being on unhealthy medication.

Here's what I did: I lost 35 lbs, controlled portions, exercised regularly (but not obsessively), almost never have fried foods, eat lots of fiber, whole-grain bread, etc., and cut out ALL partially hydrogenated oil products (that includes most pretzels, chips, crackers, fudgesicles, a lot of processed foods). I buy my crackers at the healthfood store now and read all labels. I have an apple and oatmeal almost every day because I love them (but only started that several months ago). But I also believe in moderation, I'll have treats when I really want them, too.

Another thing I wanted to mention: You may want to get your entire lipid profile checked, not just the total cholesterol. Many feel that those other numbers are as important, if not more than important than, the total cholesterol. The HDL (good cholesterol) is especially important. If that is very high, it will offset much of the total cholesterol, as it protects your heart. On the other hand, if the triglycerides and/or LDL (bad) are really high, you want to know that too. It gives you the whole picture, whereas the total cholesterol is only a small part of the picture.

Hope this helps.
Jen

Wow, you guys are giving me such great feedback! I really appreciate it! Jen, your story is really inspiring, and I definitely agree with you (and my doctor does, too) that I need to give myself some time to really work hard on cleaning up my diet and losing weight before I decide to start meds. She's not too optimistic, and I myself am very daunted by the challenge ahead of me, but I am hopeful, especially since there is so much great knowledge and support available. :)

Since fullhouse mentioned that my lipid profile is more informative than just total cholesterol, I am going to come clean with the numbers (warning: they are very ugly!). The good news is my HDL is 61. Whoohoo! The rest is all bad, though--total cholesterol is 275, LDL is 172, and triglycerides are 262!

I already eat whole grain cereal and bread, not a lot of meat, and low-fat dairy products. I eat natural peanut butter (no sugar) and try to have almonds or walnuts as occasional snacks for their "good fats." I am trying to get more protein in my diet and less sugar/white flour, and since I'm not a big meat eater I end up with low-fat dairy and nuts as major sources of protein. And of course beans and lentils, though I have to find more recipes to incorporate those into my diet more. I don't eat eggs too often, but I am thinking of getting eggbeaters so I can have veggie omelets. And of course, the big challenge will be not blowing all of my good efforts with pizza, Mc D's, and Starbucks splurges! (I have a sweet/fat tooth that I am still trying to tame...)

Well, I am overwhelmed just thinking about this challenge, so I am going to try to get my mind OFF of food for a while! Thanks everyone for all of your support and advice!

Lauren :)

Hi Lauren,

I'm glad you're going to try to get it down without meds. Don't be discouraged by the fact that the doctor is not optimistic - be determined to prove her wrong!! The reason she isn't optimistic is that scores of people come through her office who are not willing to work for it. Most people would rather take a pill - for any condition - even with side effects - than exercise or eat healthy food. I've seen it time and time again. Just your being here on the forum proves you are more interested in exercise and taking care of your body than the vast majority of people.

Don't be overwhelmed - you don't have to bring the numbers down overnight. Make changes one at a time, and make the easiest ones first. You already eat many healthy foods, you just need to add others (that's easier to think about than subtracting bad foods). Eating more beans will definitely help. Try going to www.videofitnessfanatics.com and click on recipes, recipe database. I added my absolute favorite, delicious and filling red bean & barley soup. Barley is also an excellent ingredient for cholesterol. In the latest issue of fitness magazine, an article said it triggers the body to produce cholecystokinin, a hormone that suppresses appetite. It's also a rich source of beta-glucan, a type of fiber that lowers cholesterol and evens out blood sugar. So put barley on your shopping list!

You can do it!! ;-) Keep us posted when you get your next checkup.

Jen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.