Help on beating heat cramps

ImFiddY

Cathlete
I have a singles tennis playoff match coming up and it will be 93 that day. I don't handle the heat well so I'm looking for any tips on how to not get sick when playing. I usually either get muscle cramps or intestinal cramps from the heat.

I will have water, a frogg togg chilly towel and ice packs with me. I also have Jelly Belly Sport beans and glucose tablets. Someone told me to drink pickle juice before the match.

Any other ideas on how to beat the heat ??

Thanks !

I don't have the answer, but I was going to ask this question, too. I get the belly monkeys after being in the heat. Even when I was a kid, I think I'm just prone to it. Ran 5.5 miles today, belly monkeys after I'd been home for about an hour. Blech. I'm also starting training soon for my 1st half marathon on Labor Day, so I'm going to have to be out in the heat. Most of my running is in the morning, but sometimes the heat just can't be avoided.

Nan

ETA: Even if I'm not doing anything, I get the monkeys from being in the heat. Just sittin' around chillin' (or, not, as the case may be) Even if I drink plenty. Always been this way. Just a wimp?

Eat plenty of bananas. It worked for my son, anyway. It may be a salt/potassium imbalance due to heavy perspiration. Eating bananas is an easy, safe, natural thing you can try that won't hurt you and may just cure you. It sure fixed him. Eat a banana or two every day, but eat an extra one or two the day of an event.

Shari

When I lived in FL I got terrible stomach cramps from drinking cold beverages, I know it sounds odd, but drinking room temperature water worked out a lot better. Still, to this day I will drink room temp water and that was 6 years ago. Cramps are often potassium deficiency so I would second the idea to eat a banana or try a potassium tablet. The other heat trick (again, weird.) is to take a small hand towel with warm water (not cold) and pat it on your arms/legs this will open up the pores and cool you off. I learned that trick from a marine.

Potassium tablets - just at the Walgreens? Or is there a special place to get them? Can't do bananas. Yuck!!! It's a texture thing. That will make me hork.

Nan

Be careful taking in too much potassium! I just read an article (short version) that states that muscles release potassium during exercise. Too much potassium can affect heart function, then you go out and increase the workload on the heart during a race.

I would do some serious research and experiment with eating maybe half a banana before a run in the heat and go from there. Make note of any unusual symptoms and check them against the symptoms of hyperkalemia.

I'm not trying to scare you, but you need to be careful with excessive intake of potassium!

I live in South Georgia and workout in the outdoors all summer long. For me the only thing that works is water, water, water. I drink water all day until my afternoon workout and take frequent breaks during my workout to hydrate.

You might try NUUN, a sugar-free electrolyte tablet that you add to water. I know Janis found that it got rid of her calf cramps when running.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.