Help me get started with weights

violinga1

Cathlete
Okay, I have to admit that I have always lurked here, but I am not really a Cathe person! I tried Rhymic Step long ago and it just didn't work for me, I can't do the complex choreography of step aerobics. So after that, I have never tried Cathe again.

However, I have been on Barry's Bootcamp kick for a while and really like doing split routines. I like doing the weights and then my own cardio. It looks like Cathe has some weight only DVDs and would really like to give Cathe a try for weights since so many people love her workouts. I was looking at:

Pure Strength Series
Gym Styles Series
Pyramids
Slow and Heavy Series

Also, are there any good full body workouts out there?

Btw - i have a step and a high step with various weights and a barbell, I don't want any extra equipment etc... I am an advanced exerciser, just as long as there is not complex choreography. :+

TIA for any suggestions!

Welcome to Cathe!

I think a lot of people find Cathe and fall in love because they are lovers of step aerobics, but many of us stay because she is good at so many things -- strength training included. I mean, look at Cathe's cute little bod.

I don't have any idea what Barry's Bootcamp is, so I don't really know where you are starting from. If you are pretty new to weights, you may want to try a DVD of Cathe's called Total Body Sculpting. To my knowledge, this is Cathe's most basic strength training workout.

I can't really weigh in on any of the DVDs that you listed because I don't own any of them [yet]. But the other ladies on here seem to be really fond of Gym Styles, and also the Pyramids. I think my first purchase will be the Gym Styles series.

Also, Cathe will be filming a new 3 day split later this year, so that might be an option for you down the road.

HTH!

I would definitely try the Gym Styles. The whole series is one of my favorites and there is a variety of exercises to choose from.
Ellen

I'm a non-stepper because I have problems with choregraphy and get frustrated easily with her more advanced moves. That being said, I came to Cathe from Taebo and fell in love with her circuit training and weight workouts. I had never really done much weight work before Cathe. My favorites have to be the Gym Styles and Pyramids. I have gained so much strength using the Gym Styles and the Pyramids really push me every time. I did Pyramid Lower Body last night and I know that I going to feel it later today. I also like Slow and Heavy although the pace is a little slow for me. I still get great results from it, so I stick in it my rotation every couple of months.

You really can't go wrong with any of these workouts.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.