Help me find a new vacuume

momto4

Cathlete
I need a new vacuum. I have a variety of flooring including, wood, tile and carpet. I also have a number of rugs that need to be vacuumed. I vacuume my furniture on a regular basis. I have two dogs and need a bagless model. If you have one you like could you please let me know what kind it is? And a quick side note, I will NOT be buying a Dyson and cost is not the issue. Thanks!

Uh oh....why not Dyson? I also have 2 dogs and varied flooring. I was thinking of a Dyson. I had an Oreck that wouldn't pick up a piece of thread! :mad:

Wow I have an oreck and my mom had an oreck! Won't buy anything else! I had a dyson once and hated it ! That one I had to roll it over and over and object to get it to pick anything up. Honestly the Oreck mom had was the older one and it stil does great I use it in my dental office now. The one I use at home is a newer model but not the newest and I love it! Goes on hardwood floors carpet, lanolin, tile. I have had all kinds and won't get anything else now.

I have an old Dirtdevil that I love. It goes over my carpet, wood floor and my throw rugs without sucking them up unlike the Eureka I got as a gift 2 years ago. It's fine for cleaning my furniture, my curtains, and the corners of my ceiling because it's very light weight, but I hate it for my hard wood and throw rugs because it just sucks up the ends of the rugs, even on the highest setting. My Dirtdevil is about 10 yrs old and bagless and I hope it lasts another 10yrs.

I have a Miele. I was so sick of replacing my vacuum that I went to the vacuum store and told the sales person that I didn't want to have to replace another vacuum, and asked which brand I should buy. She instantly recommended the Miele. I got an upright, but they make the floor models too. It's a little more expensive, but I think it's worth every cent. I've had mine for two years and love it.

I have a Simplicity and it's great. However not a bag less type. The guys at the vacuum store said NOT to by a Dyson, that is the brand that comes in the most for repairs. I have 2 dogs too.

Do you have a specific reason you won't purchase the Dyson? I have had dozens of vacuums and nothing works like the Dyson in my opinion. My home mostly has hardwood floors, but two rooms have carpet and it works on both. No little kids, but three cats.

We love our Shark!! We have many different flooring types as well. It's also very light and portable for doing thing like stairs.

Do you have a specific reason you won't purchase the Dyson? I have had dozens of vacuums and nothing works like the Dyson in my opinion. My home mostly has hardwood floors, but two rooms have carpet and it works on both. No little kids, but three cats.

I've been thru two of them and I think that it's a cheap machine. While they work great in the beginning, I've been thru numerous hose replacements at $40 each because the cheap plastic they use cracks making the hose useless. My current Dyson has duct tape on the hose because I refuse to pay for another replacement. When I spend that kind of money on a vacuume, I expect it to last more than 2 years, which is how long my current one lasted. This morning I woke up and remembered that my mom had a Kirby when I was a kid and that thing was a work horse! I know their not bagless, but I'm seriously considering one, and you can purchase refurbished ones on overstock.com which include the 5 year warranty. The price comes out less than a Dyson.

I've been thru two of them and I think that it's a cheap machine. While they work great in the beginning, I've been thru numerous hose replacements at $40 each because the cheap plastic they use cracks making the hose useless. My current Dyson has duct tape on the hose because I refuse to pay for another replacement. When I spend that kind of money on a vacuume, I expect it to last more than 2 years, which is how long my current one lasted. This morning I woke up and remembered that my mom had a Kirby when I was a kid and that thing was a work horse! I know their not bagless, but I'm seriously considering one, and you can purchase refurbished ones on overstock.com which include the 5 year warranty. The price comes out less than a Dyson.

I am sorry you had such a bad experience. This is my second and my first latest 10 years with no replacements at all.

Last edited:
Maybe it's just that were especially hard on them! I have 4 kids and 2 long haired dogs, so I vacuum everyday, sometimes twice a day. And, I vacuum the furniture at least once a week.

Maybe it's just that were especially hard on them! I have 4 kids and 2 long haired dogs, so I vacuum everyday, sometimes twice a day. And, I vacuum the furniture at least once a week.

I vacuum everyday as well. I wonder if my last longer due to the hardwood floors?

I need a new vacuum. I have a variety of flooring including, wood, tile and carpet. I also have a number of rugs that need to be vacuumed. I vacuume my furniture on a regular basis. I have two dogs and need a bagless model. If you have one you like could you please let me know what kind it is? And a quick side note, I will NOT be buying a Dyson and cost is not the issue. Thanks!

I bought a ProTeam Everest backpack vacuum several years ago and it is extremely powerful.
It is, however a large machine.
ProTeam has a smaller version which, should I ever need a new one, but doubt I will, I will get. It can be used as a canister or you can wear it like a backpack.

These truly are wonderful machines.

My mother had a Kirby as well. She wouldn't have anything else. It was a workhorse! However, I remember as a kid, you had to be an olympic lifter just to get it to move. It was HEAVY!

I have had the Dyson Animal for almost 10 years with no problems. We have 2 kids, 2 cats and a dog and wall to wall carpet. I love it!!!

I have had my Dyson for about 10 years now. I had the same issue with the hose. I replaced it, but used an off brand site that was much cheaper than Dyson parts. I think my hose cost me about $20. I think those of us who have older Dysons have the most complaints. Other than the hose, my only complaint is how heavy the thing is. It is really tough to lug up and down the stairs. It still does a good job though... just wish it was lighter like the newer models.

I love my Ricarr....so does everybody else I've recommended it to! I was going through a vacuum a year, and finally bought mine from a vacuum store. They sell Miele, too, which is great. The model I have is simple - I can change the belt myself, get to any clogs without having to take it in, and am going on 6 years with it. Along with dogs, cat, kids, husband, we live in the country so a lot of dirt and rocks come in. I think I paid around $450. Oh, and made in the USA!

Love my simplicity, but not bagless. Had a dirt devil and then a Hoover. Will stick with simplicity. Bought mine used at a vacuum store. No complaints.

My Oreck XL 21 is still going strong after 11 years. It is so lightweight I can pick it up with 3 fingers. It has a bag but I only need to change it twice a year. BEST VACUUM EVER.
Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.