HELP--I feel lunges more in the non-working leg!

fitgoddess

Cathlete
I've always had this thing where I feel static lunges more in the non-working, back leg. (It's not so bad with forward lunges). I've been told that it's because my quads are not stretched enough. I also play around with the distance between my front and back leg, but that does not seem to help either. If I use a stick for balance on the same side as the nonworking leg, that pretty much eliminates the problem, but I'd rather not have to depend on a stick. Is there anything I can do, because I don;t like having to take breaks on static lunges so that I can give my NON-WORKING leg a break!

Are you sure your body weight is evenly distributed between your front and back foot? Try shifting your balance more forward, while maintaining all of that weight in your heel. The more weight you put on the back toes, the more you'll feel it in the back leg.

You can also put your back foot up on your step (just the topper) and that automatically will shift more of your weight to the front foot.

>Are you sure your body weight is evenly distributed between
>your front and back foot? Try shifting your balance more
>forward, while maintaining all of that weight in your heel.
>The more weight you put on the back toes, the more you'll feel
>it in the back leg.
>
>You can also put your back foot up on your step (just the
>topper) and that automatically will shift more of your weight
>to the front foot.

i couldn't have said it better myself. i had the same issue wheni was starting out and it was b/c i didn't have enough weight on that front foot.now i try to focus pushing off the front heel to feel the glutes.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://images.meez.com/user03/06/01/04/060104_10010099873.gif

I usually feel it most in the bottom of the front leg (if that makes sense), probably because I concentrate on really pushing with my front heel. During evil low-ends, however, I often get a major burn in the back calf muscles (this could be lactic acid build-up).

I have the same issue. I don't care for static lunges for this reason. I have to really concentrate on pushing off of the heel of the working leg but my endurance still seems to be limited by the non working leg. It feels like my hip flexors are about to explode, so maybe if I did some stretching that would help. Today I was doing PH and during the lunge section, I went to MIS and subbed the lunges from that workout, just to avoid so many static lunges.
Bottom line, I often want to ask Cathe, what is the worst thing that would happen if I never did static lunges or tricep kickbacks?

Faith - no kickbacks? Those are my favorite tricep exercise! I tend to sub them in place of tricep dips sometimes because they're easier on my shoulders and I always feel them. Totally with you guys on the static lunges though. The ball of my back foot and calf muscle tend to cramp up before too long and I have to take a brief break to shake it out!

I also feel it it the back quad and oddly enough my back calf muscle no matter how hard I concentrate on the front leg/hamstring/gluteous maximus.

That is why I so prefer alternating forward lunges over static lunges because I can focus on the appropriate muscle groups so much better. Unfortunately though Cathe seems to prefer static lunges in her videos.

Thanks for the tips...I will def try out the weight shift next time, and if that does not work, I'll put the back leg up on the step.

Any thoughts on using a balancing stick? Will that hurt results? Also, is there a difference between static and forward lunges? Because I too have a much easier time with forwards. Are we supposed to get better results from static, or is it just Cathe's personal preference?

Hi Zora, thanks. I lost about 175 pounds of husband, too. :eek: Things work out...

Judegirl, ha, I like to sub dips for kickbacks sometimes.

Jody - I just wanted to jump in and say your progression pics are amazing as well. GREAT JOB!!!

And I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling the burn in my calf muscles on those static lunges. Killer. I thought I was doing something wrong.

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

FitG-

Using a balancing stick won't hurt results, you just aren't getting any balance benefits when you rely on the stick. It's perfectly fine to use when you need it.

Forward lunges involve simply a different set of muscles as you move. You also risk injuring your knees unless you do them slowly enough to ease into the lunge rather than crash down and let your knee pass your toes in front.

I'm betting the forward lunges are easier because you aren't getting as much lactic acid built up in the muscles and as you move in a forward motion, your body weight automatically continues in that motion- and more weight rests on the front foot.

I always catch myself cramping in back foot, leg, or calf, and as soon as I correct it by shifting more weight to the front leg the cramps ease up.

You can also do rear lunges and just focus on keeping your weight on the front foot. Some with knee issues believe the rear lunges are easier on their knees.

AmyG:

"I'm betting the forward lunges are easier because you aren't getting as much lactic acid built up in the muscles and as you move in a forward motion, your body weight automatically continues in that motion- and more weight rests on the front foot"

Wow...that makes so much sense! Thanks again to everyone for the comments. Gosh, I feel so guilty, as I am getting constant information from people on this site and I feel like I can't be the one to help anyone else out!

I have been having the same problems with the non-working leg and have used these suggestions in the last few days...They have worked!

Thanks for the great ideas given to the OP! They helped me, too!
Jenn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.