Help ebay threatening message

CathydsRNA

Cathlete
Hi,
I just received an email at work from ebay saying that I must respond to ebay immediately regarding illegal activity on my account. I have used ebay twice and have paid immediately. My last transaction was over 2 years ago. It said that I need to hit the reply to message button which I did. It also said that I could be held liable for damages. How do I check into this..I can't find a customer service number. Is this real or is this a scam? TIA

its a scam

but to double check sign in to ebay and go to "my ebay" you have a place for "messages" there any REAL ebay email sent to you will also be there

Cathy, contact ebay customer service right away via email and ask them if it is legit. I have had those messages and not once have they been from ebay. I think under "contact us" message headings ebay even has a "is this message from ebay" option.

HTH

Sparrow

And just to add make sure you close the email out and actually type ebay into your browser. That way you have directly connected to them, and not through the email.

You should be able to email them from your personal account with them. I emailed them and they returned an email the next day. I'm not sure there is a way to call them but you do need to email them and maybe include a copy of what was sent to you.
This may be a scam so I wouldn't give out any personal information outside of your email.
Carolyn

Thanks. Unfortunately I did click on the message and loaded some information. I read your messages (thanks for responding so quickly) and went to ebay and "my members" section and there is no message for me and so I am sure this is a scam but I did submit some confidential information. I just sent an email to ebay for help. Thanks so very very much for your help.

Thanks. Unfortunately I did click on the message and loaded some information. I read your messages (thanks for responding so quickly) and went to ebay and "my members" section and there is no message for me and so I am sure this is a scam but I did submit some confidential information. I just sent an email to ebay for help. Thanks so very very much for your help.

Hi Cathy,

We recently had an incident of identity theft in my dh's family. I have a SIL who works with this stuff daily. This is the e-mail she sent out to all family members. I hope it helps.

Dallas

The following was e-mailed to me:

No one is safe, no matter what you do. People can steal your identity from the internet; or if you go in and buy a car, the salesman or someone who has access to that paperwork, can steal your identity; or someone from where you bank, most likely a bank employee, as they have all your personal info (as well as your acct balance!); or if you've been to the hospital, someone who works there can steal your identity. It's become an epidemic.

Be very, very careful of e-mails you get from institutions or companies you deal with. Some of these scam artists have gotten real good where they will copy the company's webpage and it looks so real. They will tell you something is wrong with the account, such as your password has expired, or they need to update their records with some of your personal information, or they have even gone as far as saying that there has been some suspicious activity on your account and they need to verify who you are so why don't you provide your social security number, your mother's maiden name (which you should never provide the real one - use a fake one as anyone who has some of your personal info can track down your birth certificate and find out what your mother's maiden name is - also never list the real city you were born in - again, they can track that via your birth certificate) sorry - got off track. They'll ask you to verify some personal info just to confirm who you are before they will share the suspicious activity to you which, when one hears that, they're eager to provide whatever info to find out what's wrong with their account. DON"T! They will sometimes provide a phone number to call within the e-mail or provide a web link within the e-mail to click on to go ahead and verify your info. DON'T! Pull out your bank statement or your credit card or some type of paperwork and call the number on that paperwork to verify the e-mail. Also, get their real website (which you may already have in your favorites) and check their website. The web link in the e-mail may say www.bankofamerica.com but when you click on it it and look at the address line, it will say something completely different, or it will be off by one letter or so, i.e. www.banksofamericas.com to try to fool you it's the real deal.

Do the best you can to keep your info private. When you go somewhere and they ask for your Social Security number or your Drivers License number or your birth date, ask them why they need it and that you prefer not to give it unless absolutely necessary. (At the emergency room the other day, the paper work asked for just that - my SS#, my DL# and my DOB - I asked if I absolutely had to give it and she said one or the other so I gave them my DL#.)

Guard your purse or wallet as id thieves try to steal them to get your personal info. Only carry the credits cards or checkbook you will use that day - leave them at home in a safe place in case you do lose your purse/wallet. NEVER carry your social security card with you, EVER, unless you need to present it that day somewhere.

Check your credit report twice a year. It's free in Illinois (I believe one check per year). They passed the law in Illinois that required credit bureaus to provide a free credit report, regardless if you thought you were a victim of id theft or not, to those who asked) with www.truecredit.com which not only provides our credit report with all 3 credit bureaus, and provides a credit score, but also provides us a weekly e-mail indicating if there has been any new activity on our credit (which includes inquiries, or new credit).

Unfortunately, there is so much id theft out there that you have to be your own security guard. If it happens to you will have to be your own police person and acquire the paperwork and call the creditors and MAKE them help you to stop it and remove the bad credit.

I Cathy,

I got the same email about a week ago. I reported it to Ebay then I immediately logged onto Ebay and changed my password there and on the Paypal site as well. Good luck.

Michele

Keep in mind also that when eBay sends you a legitimate email, they address you by your first and last name, and your eBay user ID. They will never address you as something generic like "eBay user" or "eBay member". Same with PayPal. They always use your first and last name.

This makes it very quick and easy to tell if the emails are real.

:) Nicole

I received the same email in the past week. I received it in the email of my job.

Mariángeles a spanish terminator and TAEBO junkie. :) :)

SPAM!!! FRAUD!! I get "ebay" messages too. I tried to open one, and my firewall blocked it. It's a bunch of BS.

Lori

I get 10 - 15 emails from paypal and ebay daily that are like that. I ignore them. I have gotten legit emails from both of these before and they have always used my name on file, not my user i.d.

Send ebay emails to [email protected]. If it is legit, they will respond accordingly.

Send paypal emails to [email protected]. If it is legit, they will respond accordingly.

I list my email address in all of my auctions. Because of this, I actually get irate emails from people saying "You won my auction, where is my money?" And of course, there is always a link to log into ebay in there also. When I pull up their user i.d. up on ebay, they don't exist.

Thanks again. I sent the email to [email protected] and I immediately received two emails from ebay. The first was an automated email telling me that the email I forwarded did not originate from ebay. The second email was a detailed response about what I needed to do. The scam email sent me to a link that looked just like the ebay site and so I was fooled. Thanks again for your quick responses. You guys really helped me to remedy things in a fast way and you helped calm me down. Much thanks again. I hope that I can be of similar help some day;)

Please do not forget to change your password w/ ebay if that is part of the info you entered in the fake email. Log into "my ebay" and on the left click on personal information and edit your password. I fell for one of these fake emails before (it was to be a power seller) and entered my password. W/in 24 hours they listed skis and the entry fee for the auction was something like 30 bucks. Anyways, I had to go to live help, explain the situation and ended the auction and credited my account.

Also, if you have a credit card on file w/ either ebay or paypal you might want to update it. Just in case one day you go to bid/sell and it gives you an error. This just happened to my realtor.

Just to clarify...I received a legitimate email today from eBay that addressed me by my first and last name AND my user ID. Could be a fairly new feature given all of the problems with scams.

I believe PayPal only uses first and last name.

Glad to hear you got things worked out!

:) Nicole

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.