Heavy weights or Lighter weights?

SlimandFit

I am 5'4 and presently at 110 lbs. I really want to lose 10 more lbs because my ideal weight is 100 lbs. I haven't really gone into heavy strength training yet because they say if you do heavy weights and stop, you will gain the weight back. So I do lighter weights but more repetitions, yoga and pilates. Pilates really did make me lean and slim. It helped me with my posture too. However, I want to try heavier weights but I am really a bit anxious that it will make me
look bulky and heavyset.I want smaller defined muscles. What would
you advice? Thanks for any info :)

i can hardly beleive your ideal wt is 100 lbs at 5'4. this is especially true if you plan on acquiring decent muscle mass. you should go by bmi and body fat % also. muscle weighs more than fat, and i'd take that poundage ANY day. what does the educated crowd have to say???

:) I'd have to agree that seems awful thin to me for your height. I am 5'5" and weigh 135lbs and get more compliments than you could imagine (solid muscle). Do you really need to lose weight? I'm sure you look thinner than you think. It seems to me that using the heavier weights would make you more defined (though you will probably gain weight with added muscle)which you may need. Not trying to preach, just concerned.:)

Thanks for the info but I travel regularly for commercial shoots in Hong Kong and Singapore. I'm on a break now which is good because of that SARS thing. I'm with fellow asians and they all look stick thin. You gain 10 lbs in the small screen, 15 lbs in the big screen. So, that explains why I need to be skinny. I have to agree with you guys though that I like myself better between 110-115. Once my contract ends I'll start doing more weight training :) Thanks!

Hi there- I model occasionally so I understand the pressure to stay thin. I want to start weight training for the benfits, but don't want to start bulking up like a body builder. I asked this question Joyce Vedral at joycevedral.com and she suggests not using weights heavier then 12 pounds and working the upper body only twice week. Hope this helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.