Heavy lifting and being hungry

bella2005

Cathlete
Hi all,

I just started a slow and heavy rotation which I haven't done for a few years now...been addicted to power hour, then pyramids.

The problem is I forgot how hungry I get with slow and heavy! How do you handle this? I don't want to gain weight.

Thanks...Bella

Oh My gosh I have been dealing with the same thing, especially on slow and heavy days, even with my protein shake immediately after. And . . . I am on a large weight loss qwest, I have been so worried about my metabolism slowing. Honestly I eat 6 small meals a day and a ton of water.

I am right there with you . . . so I guess I am bumping. . . I would also love someone's insight on this.

Steph

So, that's why I've been so hungry?! I've been following Cathe's June rotation, but before that I was doing Slow and Heavy for about two weeks. I am hungry all the time. I don't want to gain weight either.

Bumping, too.

Dallas

Make sure that what you have around to eat is nutrient dense (vitamiins and minterals) but not calorie dense (fat, simple sugars). Maybe eat more often (every 2-3 hours) but small amounts, making sure that the total calories aren't excessive.

Having a bit of protein, fat and complex carbs at every meal can help as well.

I am a runner and I love to step for fun every single day with Cathe videos, I do weights too, not too heavy, but for sure I am hungry all the time, when I wake up in the morning I am not hungry at all but I force me to have a nice breakfast based on whole grain cereal, skin milk and straberries and bananas, so I have a hearty start, then by lunch,,,, I sometimes can not even reason, I stick to lean protein, veggies, and some whole grains again and fruit, then comes snacking and then dinner, all based in the food groups I mentioned, still I am so hungry as a horse, I go to bed hungry, I think too much excercise and running and stepping open my appetite, yet I am very focused on loose 10 more lbs, the last ones, so there my dear Cathe's followers we are a bunch of hungry gals, and I wish there was the secret or a solution for this matter, I heard of a herb in Africa: Hoodia, it supresses hunger for even days, these hunters use this plant to avoid hunger during hunting season or in groups, they go to the deep forest and they may struggle with hunger too, some companies have made pills and sell them here in America but the truth is... as all business, doesnt work, we would need to go to Africa and get the freaking plant on our own, hahaha, looking for a solution too, good luck!
The older I get the more I love me.

http://www.geocities.com/norma123nyc/MyJourney.html

S&H is for building mass, and when you do this, you do have to eat more. It stands to reason that if you lift more, you need to fuel your body more, both to sustain your workouts and to help your body recover and replenish what was lost. Expect to gain some fat when you're building mass. Don't suppress your hunger. I usually eat about 500 calories more a day when strength training, or 1 1/2 extra meals (a meal and a snack). Better to burn the fat later than starve yourself and compromise your muscle gain. Just my .02.

Pinky

Pinky ~ What if the hunger is past the so called "cut off time". What is it, 3-4 hours before bedtime? I was in bed last night and couldn't go to sleep because I was so hungry. I finally dosed off around 1A! That really messed my 5A start time to work out. What would you have done in that situation?

Yeah I find my appetite is huge after lifting heavy, especially on leg days. I usually eat light right before the workout & then have a really large meal within an hour of completion. The rest of the day I eat normally.

>Pinky ~ What if the hunger is past the so called "cut off
>time". What is it, 3-4 hours before bedtime? I was in bed
>last night and couldn't go to sleep because I was so hungry.
>I finally dosed off around 1A! That really messed my 5A start
>time to work out. What would you have done in that
>situation?

I'd drink milk. (I use the Hood brand, fat-free kind.) Heat it up a bit and sip it slowly. It takes the brain 20 minutes to register fullness, so slow would be good.:) If I'm still hungry after that, I'd eat a salad (half or a third of my usual serving) with some tuna in it and low-fat dressing. That way I get my protein, and whatever carbs I get into my system is low calorie but filling.

Pinky

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.