Heart Rate Check Question

Ellis

I am fairly new to Cathe's workouts and must add I am thoroughly enjoying every minute of them :)

The first DVD I purchased was Power Hour and I was using the step aerobics from the Body Max workout for my aerobic work out. When Cathe would stop for a heart rate check a bar would move along the screen to show you when to stop counting. Then a comparison chart would come up for you to compare your heart rate to.

I have since purchased the S&H as well as Rythmic Step DVDs. I have noticed on Rythmic Step Cathe will stop for a heart rate check but the difference being it is just the comparison chart that comes up. My question is how many seconds do you count your heart rate for?

Ellis

Bless you for asking this question. I've done Cathe for quite a while now and haven't been up to asking, cause I thought maybe it was just me who didn't comprehend this. When I taught aerobics I would tell everyone when to stop and when to start, but didn't know if she was going for a 6 second test or 10 second test or what. Hope someone answers here!!

Briee

It's a 10 second count (beats per minute divided by 6).

For example, if you are a 30 year old woman, your max HR rate based on the age predicted formula would be:

220-30 = 190

If you want to be working at 75% of max, your HR would be 142.5.

142.5/6 = 23.75 or 24 bpms

Because heart rates can vary by as much as 10-12 beats in either direction, it is best to correlate that number with your perceived exertion. Thus, if the chart shows you are at 85% of your max HR but you are not feeling winded, you are probably working at a lower intensity.

Hope this helps!

-Roe

Thanks Roe ... your explanation was very helpful ! Thanks Briee as well it's always nice to know others have the same questions ... your response was very kind and supportive.

Ellis

You should also factor in your resting heart rate (RHR) by doing the following, known as the Karvonen formula:
subtract your age from 220, say 220-30=190
subtract your RHR from that number, say 190-70=120
multiply that by the intensity percentage, say 120X.80=96
add back in your RHR, say 96+70=166
So 166 is where you would be for 80% of max, a pretty high working rate for cardio.
Putting the RHR in there makes the calculation more accurate for you. Perceived exertion is a big factor also, and should be the first thing you listen to if you are struggling. Numbers don't mean anything if you're gasping for air.

--Ann

Actually, the Karvonen formula has been known to be less accurate than the maximum heart rate formula.

Heart rate formulas are useful for beginners because they do not have a frame of reference in regards to how hard they are working. It is easier to have them guage intensity with a target range of numbers.

Seasoned exercisers should rely more on perceived exertion and the talk test for guaging intensity levels.

-Roe

Thanks Ann and Roe ... your input has been very helpful. Like you both say though, if you're gasping for air you know you are over exerting yourself.

Ellis

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.