healthy baked goods

LisaMarie

Cathlete
Hmm....healthy and baked goods...three words not usually together! I'm dealing with morning sickness, and as with my last pregnancy, eating baked goods, chips, and other crap makes me feel a TON better! Why can't lettuce and carrots do that??!

I am determined not to come out of my first trimester up 10lbs like I did last time (eating scotcheroos daily will do that :) ). Anyone have some healthy recipes for bars, cookies, or muffins?

lisa

Get Melanie (on the preggers check-in) to give you her yummy muffin recipe. Healthy and GOOD. Also, Cookinglight.com has about any recipe you'd ever want. Just do a search.

I gained A LOT of weight during my pregnancies just because I ONLY wanted bread and bready things. The sight of lettuce and spinach (which I normally love) totally turned my stomach -- especially in the first trimester. So I totally can relate!

Congratulations!!!

I have a couple recipes posted in the Recipe section of this site. So do some other ladies.

I know exactly how you feel! Bread foods were the only thing I could eat my first trimester when preg w/ Julia. I was scared I wouldn't ever want another salad again! :p:eek::eek::eek:

Melanie's Wholesome Oat Muffins

Wholesome Oat Muffins

* I multiply this recipe by 5 and freeze for breakfast. It's a great way to keep my healthy carbs in line. If I'm feeling spunky, I put 1/4 bag of dark chocolate chips in the batch, optional of course. :)

Makes 12 muffins

3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons oats
1 cup buttermilk
1 1/4 cups white whole wheat flour or whole grain flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup chopped walnuts
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup brown sugar substitute
1 teaspoon vanilla

Preheat the oven to 425°F. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.

In a small bowl, combine 3⁄4 cup of the oats and the buttermilk. Let soak for 30 minutes.

In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and walnuts.

In a large bowl, stir together the oil, egg, brown sugar substitute, and vanilla until well blended. Stir in the oat mixture. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.

Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tablespoons oats over the muffins. Bake for 11 to 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes.

Remove to the rack to cool completely.

You will love these! I use regular brown surgar instead of splenda...and 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour. My whole fam loves these!

Those oat muffins sound great.

Here's a banana muffin recipe, too. These are pretty good, and packed with healthy wheat germ. Make sure you pat the crumb topping into the batter so that it will bake into the muffin. Otherwise, it will just fall off.

I used toasted wheat germ for mine. I also added a couple dashes of cinnamon to the topping, as I really like cinnamon and banana together

Hearty Banana Muffins

Topping:
3 T wheat germ
2 T firmly packed brown sugar
1 T flour
1 T margarine, (I used 1 TBSP olive oil)
1/8 t pumpkin pie spice

Muffins:
1 1/2 C flour (I used 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour and 3/4 cup all purpose flour)
1/2 C wheat germ
1/2 C firmly packed brown sugar
2 1/2 t baking powder
1 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice
1/2 t salt, optional
3/4 C mashed ripe bananas (about 2 medium)
3/4 C skim milk
3 T margarine, melted (I used 3 TBSP low-fat buttermilk)
2 egg whites, lightly beaten (I just used 1 whole egg)

Heat oven to 400. Line 12 medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with no-stick cooking spray. Combine topping ingredients; mix well. Set aside.

In large bowl, combine flour, wheat germ, brown sugar, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and salt; mix well. In medium bowl, combine bananas, milk, margarine, and egg whites; mix well. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fill muffin cups almost full. Sprinkle topping evenly over batter, patting gently. Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean. Cool five minutes on wire rack; remove from pan. Serve warm. Makes 1 dozen.

1 tsp pumpkin pie spice = 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, 1/8 tsp allspice

This is one of my favorite banana breads. I ripped it out of Redbook years ago. It has a nice lemon zing :) I usually skip the glaze, as I think it's plenty sweet without it.

Blueberry Banana Bread
from Redbook magazine, April 2005

2-1/2 cups flour (I use half white, half white whole wheat)
1 cup sugar (I use 3/4 cup)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas
1/4 cup fat-free buttermilk
2 TBSP lemon juice
2 TBSP canola oil
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
1 tsp grated lemon zest
1 cup blueberries (I've used frozen with no problem too)

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.

In a bowl combine mashed ripe bananas, buttermilk, lemon juice, canola oil, egg whites, egg, and grated lemon zest. Stir into flour mixture then stir in 1 cup blueberries.

Pour batter into 9x5x3-inch loaf pan coated with baking spray; bake 1 hour. Cook in pan on wire rack 15 minutes.

Invert; Invert again. Cool 10 minutes. In a bowl combine 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar, 2 tsp lemon juice, and 1/2 grated lemon zest. Spread over top loaf; cool completely.

Makes 16 servings. Each serving: 183 cals, 2 g fat, 3 g protein

I like banana breads; can you tell? ;) I have 2 more recipes to share for banana baked goods!

This is our usual banana bread recipe. I add cinnamon chips or chocolate chips sometimes, too. I have tweaked it for my tastes; changes noted, but nutrition stats are based on the original.

Bunch of Banana Bread
Kids Favorites Made Healthy (Better Homes & Gardens)
Makes 1 loaf (16 servings)

nonstick cooking spray
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour (I use 1-1/4 cup white whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup ground flax seed)
1-1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
2 slightly beaten egg whites (I use one whole egg)
1 cup mashed banana (3 medium)
3/4 cup sugar (I use 1/2 cup)
1/4 cooking oil (I use 1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk, or 2 TBSP oil and 2 TBSP buttermilk)
(I add 1 tsp vanilla)

Preheat oven to 350.
Lightly coat an 8x4x2 loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl stir together egg whites, banana, sugar and oil. Add flour mixture all at once to banana mixture. Stir just until moistened (the batter should be lumpy). Spoon batter into prepared pan.

Bake at 350 for 45 to 50 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.

Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on rack. Wrap and store overnight before serving.

Per serving: 127 cals, 4 g fat, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein

These are wonderful. :)

I halved the recipe, and made 24 mini muffins. To cut back on fat, I used 1/4 cup canola oil and 1/4 cup lowfat buttermilk. I kept the nutmeg to 1/4 tsp and added a couple dashes of cinnamon, too.

DD loved them, which is always a plus for me! They are very moist and flavorful.

Whole Wheat Banana Blueberry Muffins
from the Black Dog Summer on the Vineyard Cookbook

One of our most popular muffins ~ not too sweet and loaded with fruit and flavor ~ they make a great-and-run breakfast. You can mix the batter and refrigerate overnight. In the morning fold in the fresh blueberries, bake and enjoy!

2-1/2 cups whole wheat flour (I used white whole wheat)
1-1/2 cups rolled oats (try toasting the oatmeal first for a twist)
2 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground mace or nutmeg
1 cup honey
1 cup canola oil
6 mashed ripe bananas
1 TBSP pure vanilla extract
2 cups fresh blueberries (I used frozen)

1. Combine dry ingredients in a large bowl.
2. In a separate bowl blend together the honey, oil, bananas, and vanilla.
3. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients mixing only until the ingredients are combined. A good muffin batter should be lumpy. Cover and refrigerate overnight or proceed to bake now.
4. To bake, set your oven to 350. While it preheats, bring your batter to room temp and grease and flour muffin tins. If you prefer, you may use liners.
5. Gently fold the blueberries into the batter. Fill each muffin cup at least 3/4 full. These muffins do not rise very much.
6. Bake for about thirty to 45 minutes. Test with a knife. The point should come out clean when the muffins are ready.

Makes 16 to 20 minutes.

(I halved the recipe and made mini-muffins, which needed 19 minutes to bake at 350.)

We like these muffins too. We even like 'em at room temp the next day LOL

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins
from www.quakeroats.com

1/4 cup Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1 tablespoon firmly packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon margarine or butter, melted
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1-1/2 cups Quaker® Oats (quick or old fashioned, uncooked)
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup fat-free milk
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons vegetable oil (I've used 3 TBSP buttermilk instead)
1 egg white, lightly beaten

Preparation
Heat oven to 400°F. Line twelve medium muffin cups with paper baking cups or spray bottoms only with cooking spray.

For topping, combine the first four ingredients -- oats, brown sugar, butter and cinnamon -- in small bowl; mix well. Set aside.

For muffins, combine oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon in large bowl; mix well. In medium bowl, combine applesauce, milk, sugar, oil and egg white; blend well. Add to dry ingredients all at once; stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. (Do not overmix.)

Fill muffin cups almost full. Sprinkle with reserved topping, patting gently.

Bake 20 to 22 minutes or until deep golden brown. Cool muffins in pan on wire rack 5 minutes. Remove from pan. Serve warm.

YUM to everything! WHere am I going to start?! I was happy to see one of the recipes has ground flax. I just bought some yesterday and am trying to figure out what to do with it!

I'll have to give one of these a shot tomorrow.

THanks!!!

I tried the Wholesome Oatmeal Muffins because I had everything on-hand and YUM those are good!! DH doesn't like walnuts, so I used some ground flaxseed in place and also used regular brown sugar.

Great recipe! Thanks! Can't wait to try all the others :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.