Headaches after working out?

labmini

Hi Cathletes, I have really been enjoying all of my Cathe workouts especially Strong and Sweaty and Lite and especially PHA workouts, but I have noticed I get a headache that lasts most of the day after working out. I typically workout first thing in the morning but am wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there are any suggestions? I drink a lot of water during each workout, but am I missing electrolytes? Something else? Thank you!

Hi Cathletes, I have really been enjoying all of my Cathe workouts especially Strong and Sweaty and Lite and especially PHA workouts, but I have noticed I get a headache that lasts most of the day after working out. I typically workout first thing in the morning but am wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if there are any suggestions? I drink a lot of water during each workout, but am I missing electrolytes? Something else? Thank you!
I find I really need to hydrate before working out in the AM, as well as during, to feel optimum. Remember you've gone all night and perhaps more so without hydrating. But then maybe it is electrolytes also ... couldn't hurt to supplement with extra Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium, especially during the summer with intense workouts as you lose a lot with sweat. If you have any muscle cramping, I'd say for sure to supplement.

I've had this problem for a couple years now. Doesn't mater the time of day that I workout. The only solution I've found is to take an ibuprofen or 2 before or soon after an intense workout. I hate taking them but hate having a headache for hours after more. Tried drinking even more water and use electrolytes regularly. Does nothing to help my headaches though. If anyone has any other suggestions I'd love to hear them.

Hi labmini:

I'm sorry you are getting headaches that last most of the day after working out :confused:

I'm not sure how water or electrolytes would play into your headaches, but I was wondering if you are experiencing any other symptoms along with headaches?

I work out first thing in the morning, too and have never experienced headaches afterwards.

Thanks everyone, no, no other symptoms, just a headache after a solid lifting workout. I did a step workout this morning and no headache. I will keep experimenting and really focus on hydration all day today as I have a lower body workout planned for tomorrow morning.

If you are getting the headaches post-lifting they could be from neck and/or shoulder tension. Focus on your body alignment - are your shoulders hunched up? are you pushing your head in to the bench during presses or flyes? is your neck in a natural alignment during bent over rows? We often focus on the body part that is working and forget it's all connected.

@labmini , I am really wondering if your headaches are due to the way you are breathing during your weight workouts. It's also telling that it's only after weights, not cardio.
There is a breathing technique called the Valsalva maneuver, which many weightlifters equate with lifting headaches. This may not be exactly what you are doing, but if you're holding your breath or breathing unusually during weight workouts, this could be the source of your head pain.

Google Valsalva Maneuver causes headaches. There is a lot out there written on the subject.

Also focus on your breathing. If you are holding your breath while lifting that could also be causing your headaches. And check to see if you are tightening your facial muscles when lifting. I have a tendency to clench my jaw muscles and tighten around my eyes. If you are doing this you want to try and focus on releasing the muscle tension in your face.

Thank you all for the responses - I have a lot of techniques to try! I woke up a bit late so I did the timesaver pre mix #1 of Gym Style legs, I do not currently have a headache. My heart rate never got as high as it does with PHA or for as long as it was only 32 mins total - so I was thinking maybe that has something to do with it too? I had a protein shake after so for now I am grateful. I have Strong and Sweaty upper body on the docket tomorrow and then I am going to try a metabolic workout on Saturday as my full body and see if I can do it without a headache. Thanks again!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.