HBO Movie - Warm Springs

tvan_horn

Cathlete
I watched this movie over the weekend. It is about Franklin D. Roosevelt and his affliction with Polio.

What an exceptional story! I highly recommend watching it if you get a chance.

I don't watch many movies anymore, because they seem to insult my intelligence or aren't appropriate for the younger viewers in my house. I will watch this one again. I did miss the very beginning of the movie, but it is suitable for viewers of any age.

Tina

Thanks, Tina. I haven't seen it but I intend to.

Roosevelt IMHO was one of, if not the best president this country ever had. His VISION and ACTION rescued this country in the worst of times. He and Eleanor truly loved the American people and made the survival of the U.S. their life's work.

It's also so inspirational to see how he raised himself above the pain of his polio.

I watched it too, and found it very enjoyable and interesting, particularly because he was a president before my time. I was more surprised when I was speaking with my parents later and mentioned it, and found out my grandfather (who had polio) had visited the spa!! Put a personal spin on it.

Is this the one with Kenneth Branagh?

Is it worth watching from an aesthetic point of view or just because of the story line?

Clare

Clare,

Yes, it is the one with Kenneth Branagh as FDR. Cynthia Nixon (Sex and the City) does a great job as Eleanor Roosevelt.

The movie was well produced and I think anyone who grew up in that era would approve of the movie. I am not sure exactly what you mean by "aesthetic point of view". There aren't any special effects, but the actors did an exceptional job of recreating the "era" and the atmosphere and conditions.

The storyline is wonderful and makes for great conversation fodder between our generation and earlier generations who truly experienced FDR's presidency. I have to visit my husband's grandma, who is in the hospital. I am looking forward to discussing this with her.

Tina

Sounds good, and no, special effects aren't required! Solid acting, yes. If they stick it on DVD I will be able to catch it. I have a love-hate relationship with Kenneth B as an actor. His ex-wife way surpasses him for acting talent, poor chap. Sometimes he's great but most of the time he's just playing himself. See: his role in Harry Potter film the second. Can't remember the name of the character.

Thanks for the film recommendation. I'm always on the lookout for more film reccies.

Clare

Thank you so much for the suggestion. It sounds like a great movie. If you liked this movie, you may like the book "No Ordinary Time" by Kearns. I just viewed a Polio exhibit at the Smithsonian while in Washington last week.

I am off to Tivo it. :)

Lori

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.