Have they gone mad at Ebay?

mtnmom99

Cathlete
Hi,

I'm always on the lookout for a good bargain, same as anyone here. If I can pick up a Cathe DVD for a discount, why not? But I am aware that the dollars I may be saving are lost when it comes to losing out on Cathe's guarantee when you buy new from her site. I have just been totally flabbergasted at what has been paid on Ebay for her DVD's lately.

Last week, I watched a KPC/Leg and Glutes DVD being offered from a seller in the UK. Ebay converts British Pounds to US dollars. The auction ended and the winner paid over $82.00 USD! Hmmm... It's a $45 DVD and shipping to UK is $24. Why would anyone pay so much for a used DVD?

Then just today, two auctions ended. One for (again) KPC/Leg and Glutes, and the other for CW/Imax2 - over $47 and $46 respectfully. Maybe the buyers saved a buck or two on shipping, but having heard how some DVD's were defective or don't play on certain players - why take the chance without the guarantee? Is it the thrill of winning an auction, or are the buyers not educating themselves?

Looks like Cathe is going to be getting an order from me sooner than expected.

-Diane

I saw ab hits with a buy it now for over $40 I think $42 I thought you can buy it new for $24 .I don't know what some people are thinking when they bid on this stuff.I think it is the heat of the moment.I still look hoping to get a good buy.But I draw the line at what I am willing to give for a used dvd.;-)

There are SO many things on Ebay like that. For example, my husband looks for deals on parts for a custom motorcycle that he is building and some parts are over TWICE as much as the catalog charges. It's ridiculous!

Some people do like the conveneience of using Paypal of course, as some do not have credit cards. Also, sometimes there are bidders who bid with no intention to buy. They just "jack" the price up and then the poor seller has to relist the item again.

Ebay used to be fun but anymore it is a small meat market out to "slaughter" the little guy....but there are still some rare finds on there. Just not like it used to be...:(

I just had to respond to this..I am a bonafide lurker but I am also the person who bought both the KPC and the IMAX dvd (respectively) on Ebay today. They were both from the same person so I will save on shipping. I also do not like to pay with credit or debit so this way I get to use a money order.

I didn't save alot on shipping, but it is my preference to pay this way. I couldn't find KPC on any swap board (Ya Ya's) so I went this way.

So in answer to your question, you can hear it directly from the horses mouth. Yes I did educate myself and this was the best option out there for me. Not everyone, I agree, but for me yes, it was.

Not flaming you but wanted to say I didn't "go mad" either;-)

Hey Arose Welcome to Catheville:) I hope you enjoy your new dvds!! Just wanted to let you know you can order from Cathe through the mail and pay with M.O. or check then you got the lifetime warranty for your dvds.

~Nicole

Nicole, I meant no offense. I just see more and more videos and DVDs going for over list price and it has baffled me. I used last week's and today's listings as the most recent examples.

As for the Ab Hits with a Buy It Now price of $42. I actually e-mailed the seller to educate him - I had purchased from him in the past. He apologized, said it was an honest mistake as he was listing several exercise workouts that day. He then took it off, relisted it with a Buy It Now price of $16.99, and it was sold within an hour.

-Diane

Diane, you are right...I have seen some really crazy things on there. That was good of you to educate that guy.

Now even I wouldn't have paid $42 for Ab Hits!!:D :D

Videos are the same way. I don't have a dvd player in my exercise room so I buy all videos x( . I know someday I will upgrade to a dvd so I try and try and get the videos the least expensive way that I can. It's ridiculous what people will pay on ebay. I get a better deal buying them new from cathe with her quantity discount. My last order was buy 4 videos and get a fifth one free, take 15$ off my order and get free shipping. Why bother with ebay when it's cheaper for me to buy from cathe.

Ebay is like any other auction...real life or internet...items will sell according to how many people want them. I can give you some great examples...(I use Ebay all the time!) I have been buying light fixtures on ebay for the past year. I had my eye on one particular chandelier and it sold for over $300. As it happened, the same chandelier came up for auction and this time no one bid against me...got it bought for $59. Three months later, another of the same chandelier came up and that one sold for over $350. Another great example...I had wanted a slag glass lamp for my kitchen. These fixtures ALWAYS sell for hundreds of dollars whether they are in mint condition or have broken panes...really doesn't matter to most buyers if the lamp is damaged. Okay, I'm bidding on these lamps all the time but they always sell for more than I can afford...until...I bid on one particular lamp and the starting bid is $49. Seven days go by and no other bidders yet so I'm waiting for that last minute bidder who slids in there in the remaining minutes of the auction...NEVER happens???? I win this gorgeous slag glass lamp with a measly bid of $49!! I fully expect the seller to contact me and refuse to honor the auction...nope, I get an email asking to confirm my address. So, I'm still suspicious that this is too good to be true. I'm fully expecting the lamp to arrive and it's a piece of junk-plastic or parts broken off. Let me tell you, when I took that huge lamp out of the box it absolutely took my breath away!!!! It is gorgeous and it's all mine...for $49 on Ebay!!!

So, items will sell for outrageous prices depending on how many people want to buy it THAT week. But if you have patience and can hang in there...you will find a bargain on Ebay! I LOVE Ebay:D

Hi there......
I am quite pleased someone brought this up, I also watched that auction for the KPC/Leg and Glutes DVD in the UK sky rocket.
I was hoping to bid on it myself.. I did in fact bid but was out bid almost instantly. I watched the auction climb way out of control pretty much thinking, "well, once that buyer realises they can get that thing for $45 on Cathes site they will freak.. they won't pay for that". It's a shame because that auction will probably go bad.
I have bought all my Cathe DVD's (3 in total) off Ebay because I live in Australia and it costs $22 to send Cathe's DVDs to me where as on Ebay it usually costs me $5, so that is an attractive feature.
I had never thought about the fact that the lifetime warranty is lost in the Ebay transaction, I might have to start buying from Cathes site after all.
Kelly

Have you all....

tried half dot com for CDs, books, and DVDs? It's run by ebay but in general these items are much much cheaper there than on ebay itself. I never checked for Cathe on half dot com but you certainly should try. In reality, small, less expensive items like these should be posted there and not at ebay.
I am an ebay seller and buyer and have never had a problem in 4 years of doing it. Sometimes people try to jack the shipping rate in order to pocket extra cash but that's where the buyer needs to be paying attention and call their bluff on it.
Again, like someone said, it's supply and demand like everywhere else for the most part. Auction prices rise because the item is desired by alot of people. Now, I have seen some nutso "buy it now" prices, but alot of sellers do that on purpose to force bids and change the perception of how much an item is really worth.
Just pay attention, browse a bit, and usually ebay can pay off for you.
By the way, you can use your credit card thru Paypal as well as have electronic cash in a Paypal account.
Trevor :)

There are Cathe.....

items on half dot com. I just checked. Not alot but a few. I am not gonna link it here because I don't think that would be fair to Cathe but just go there and research it a bit if you want.
Trevor :)

RE: There are Cathe.....

I think people are addicted to e-bay and addicted to the thrill of winning and bidding LOL I my self got into a bidding battle over 5 plastic canvas patterns and they ended up going for $30.00
I sold my son's gameboy and got $20.00 out of it, now I am selling an afghan I just made and hoping I make some off it LOL.
Ok I am addicted to E-bay also LOL

I agree with you Diane. And well done on educating that guy over the ridiculously inflated DVD prices. Good for you. I will never buy a Cathe DVD on ebay. The prices are always outrageous and I want her guarantee. VHS may be another matter.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.