Has anyone used Soft Paws/Claws for their cat? I'm desperate for a solution.

BAM

Cathlete
I've had this ongoing saga with my kitty for awhile now. She has already destroyed one chair, started on another and is now working on the sofa. I have sheets covering the 2 chairs (yes, very attractive) and now have to decide how I'm going to prevent her from doing more destruction to the couch. I've tried the sticky tape (which doesn't stay on well, plus she starts to chew it) and sprays but they don't work. She has a great scratchboard which she loves and uses a lot. My mother caught her for the first time last week clawing the sofa and apparently has been doing it for awhile and she has since clawed it more but we only have seen her that one time. A groomer suggested putting those soft claws on her. Has anyone used them and if so, please tell me your experience with them. I've read lots of reviews and they are mixed. Some say their cat took to them without a problem and others have had their cats chew them off. Others say that the claws get caught in loop carpets or fabrics and described some precarious situations with them. I truly don't know what to do. My cat is not easy and I'm thinking she'll absolutely not have anything foreign put on her claws but maybe I should try? My mother is going ballistic especially because it's "her" furniture and wants to give her away. Because of this and a couple of other reasons, I'm beginning to think this way as well. I thought her clawing was under control once we covered up the two chairs but alas, it did not deter her. :(

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Bam

I have used them before and they really did not stay on my cat for very long - not even a whole day! I have two cats now and find trimming the claws works very well. They just aren't sharp enough to dig into much. Get a good pair of nail scissors from either a pet store or your vet (I got mine from the vet) - and hopefully this will help!

Bam, I haven't tried the soft claws, but I wanted to thank you for trying to find other solutions and not declawing. :D

Some things to try:
Trim kitties claws (they can still scratch, but there is less 'catch'.

Since your cat may like to scratch on vertical surfaces, you may try getting a vertical scratching post (one that is tall enough about 3 feet and with the right kind of material--not carpet, but sisal or rugged upholstery, like that plaid stuff you might see on furniture in a cabin. My cats love this one: http://www.purrfectpost.com/ but there is a similar one at Amazon http://www.amazon.com/SmartCat-3832...4MH8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302824223&sr=8-1 or someone handy could make one for you).

Place it near the area where she is now clawing to divert her. You can gradually move it to a more out-of-the-way location perhaps, though cats are opportunists, and will choose a closer location between two clawing options.

I have multiple scratching surfaces: vertical posts, cat trees, slanted "Alpine"" scratchers, flat cardboard scratchers--that I"ve accumulated over the years, and my cats use them all. Pete especially is a scratcher, and I had to put a scratcher near my front door, as he used to like to greet me by stretching up against me and scratching my pants! Now, after a short period when I would tell him no, and call his attention to the scratching pad instead, he will come and rub up against me, then immediately go to the scratcher and scratch like a mad man (I always tell him "Good Petey!" when he does it)

You can get info on the soft paws and other techniques to help stop unwanted scratching at www.declawing.com (and anti-declawing site created by a vet).

Once cats have started clawing somewhere, they are apt to return to the same location because 1) clawing behavior also is a way of putting their scent on things and marking territory with the scent glands on their paws; 2) a shredded surface is a visual 'invitation' to shred some more.

Hope you can come to a solution that makes everyone happy!

HTH!

I have had great luck with them and saved money by buying them through pet stores on ebay. The colored caps are the best because you can see when they have fallen off (and they are easier to find around your house). I always trimmed the nails first before putting them on. One cat was crabby about it so I put a mask on him and he calmed right down. Just check on the footies once in a while to make sure there are no problems.

I haven't done this myself but I've heard putting some double sided sticky tape on favorite scratching areas will make cats go elsewhere. cats don't like the sticky surface. if you give him alternate sites to scratch at the same time, maybe it will work.

I have never tried soft claws before. But my cats have just about every kind of scratcher made. They have sisal posts, natural tree bark trees, carpeted trees, cardboard scratchers, etc. Here is the one they LOVE the most (and it's the least expensive one too!)

http://www.scratchlounge.com/

If they are not scratching in it, they are sleeping in it. They LOVE it!! But it is always best to offer several different kinds to see what your cat likes best. Hopefully it's not still the sofa!

Goodluck!!

Linda

Last edited:
I started using them on my cat when he was 6 weeks old and have very good luck with them. They stay on about 8 weeks, and then the claw is long(and quite wicked) and they fall off. I find that he complains if I put them on a freshly cut claw, so I trim them the day I find he has "popped" a cap, and put them on the next day.

My cat is extremely easy going, and we can do almost anything to him, so that helps. I like them.

I like the way that one looks: like a combo scratcher and box (which my cats are often fascinated with).

If you have a Petco near you, you can pick one up there and see if your cats like it. I have two cats and two of the scratchers and they always go to their own. They are in them constantly (and I don't even put the cat nip on it that it comes with.)

If the soft claws don't work out, maybe a nice slipcover could help protect your couch? I bought a stretch 2-piece microsuede slipcover for the couch in our great room/ kids' playroom and I love it. Whenever my 2 yo draws on it (grrrr) or gets food on it, I just throw it in the wash.

Ladies, as always, thank you SO much for your responses and suggestions.

Steppin out, 5$footlong (love your name :D) and Dorothyrd, I guess it just depends on the individual cat if the soft paws will work or not. When the groomer first recommended them, I was so excited to try them and then when I read more about them and knowing how difficult my cat is, I wasn't sure they would work. I'm glad for those who they work for. I'll still have to think more about it but as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I wish I could trim her nails myself as I could keep on top of them more frequently but I have to have the groomer do it.

Kathryn, ITA about a tall scratch post. I bought something for her awhile back that had the different textures on it but she didn't like it. I think I have to try something like the one you recommended. I was trying to save the $$$ as I've been out of work and things are tight but I guess compared to shredding the furniture, I have to consider it. We have some discount stores locally so I'll see which ones they have and at least I can return it if need be.

Linda, that cat scratcher/lounge looks great. I've actually had something similar for her that she loved. I was thinking along the lines of getting something where she could stretch upwards and scratch. I bought her an incline scratcher that she can't get enough of but apparently doesn't satisfy her need for full extension. *sigh*

JulesMT, I was looking for slipcovers for the chairs and haven't been able to find anything that looked good and that would fit our chairs. After seeing what's out there, finding something for my couch may be equally as challenging. Plus, they are so gosh darn expensive that I don't think I could afford them - not that sheets are a great alternative but at least they're covered. Thank goodness I don't have much company over. :D

Traildoggie, I've tried the double sided tape on my chairs. It worked o.k. but then my lovely cat decided to chew at the tape......constantly! Ugh!!!

As I've mentioned in earlier posts, this cat has been a challenge. She was a stray and even though I really wasn't ready for a cat, I took her in. She desperately wants to be outdoors and that can't happen where I live, plus, I personally would have a hard time having an outdoor cat. I know she's very unhappy about this. She's also the most fussy cat for eating. I know cats can be notorious for this but she's taken it to a whole new level. I'm trying to keep her uncontrollable shedding for months under control. I received some great suggestions from you ladies about that. And now, of course, I have to deal with the clawing of furniture. I know one of you ladies here would LOVE to have an additional kitty in your family but none of you live near me....or do you? :p She's actually quite a nice cat, otherwise, with a fun personality. I have been casually asking people if they would want a kitty but no bites yet. There are days I wish she had a new home and other days where I want things to work out. I suppose if she were mean on top of all of this, then I would have an easier time wanting to part with her. I'm just conflicted.

Sorry for the long post but thanks for all of your suggestions.

Bam

My parents have FOUR cats, all with claws, and when they got new furniture, the cats started clawing it. Eventually, my very desperate father put bubble wrap around the furniture. It's amazing. The cats HATE it. Obviously, you don't want bubble wrap around the bottom of your furniture forever, but it could get her out of the habit, or keep her from clawing while you look for other solutions.

Bam,
I was in Walmart yesterday, and when I stopped in the pet section to get my cats some treats, I saw a spray that supposedly discourages scratching. I looked at the ingredients, and it looks like citrus oil is the deterent (sp?!): cats usually don't like citrus scents.

Hi ladies. Sorry it's taken me a few days to respond.

MKEMom, thanks for that bubble wrap suggestion. I actually have the small sized wrap that has the sticky back. I've got a bunch of them and I will try it until I find a permanent solution. As far as how my living room will look with it? Well, since I already have sheets covering chairs and pillows on the floor pushing against the chairs to hold the sheets so she doesn't get under them, I'm thinking the bubble wrap will just add to the already eclectic look. Yeah, that's it.......eclectic!!!! ;)

Kathryn, thank you so much for looking into that deterring spray. That was very kind of you. I actually have a citrus room spray that I've sprayed on the furniture in the past but can't say if it worked or not since I didn't do it every day. I will look into the one you saw at Walmart. My bf said that he'd make a tall scratching post so I hope he does it soon. My cat has been staying at his house for several days which has been a nice break for me and I told him that she can only come home WITH the scratching post! :D

Thanks again everyone for all of your help. I am trying to decide if I just need to find her another home and if I do, what type of home should it be. When I went over my bf's house the other day, she seemed quite content without me which is helping me in realizing that she could adjust wherever she is. Ahhhh, thhe saga continues. :(

Bam

I wanted to give an update which just recently occurred. My kittie's groomer (who only cuts her nails) offered to put on the soft paws at no charge. She's awesome! So they were put on last week and for several hours, my kitty tried to pull them off - didn't happen! :D:D:D (Doing the happy dance!) So they've stayed on since and she seems to have adjusted. I finally took "one" of the sheets (ugh!) off of one chair that she was destroying. Unfortunately it exposes the areas that she has clawed which aren't too bad on that chair but it does get my ire stirred up looking at it. The other chair that has a sheet (ugh again!) on it I don't dare remove because you can see so much of the stuffing since she pretty much annihilated that one. I still haven't been able to find reasonably priced chair covers. These 2 chairs are back from the 80's (mother won't get rid of them) and since they're much smaller than chairs they make now, the covers that are made are huge.

So I'll see how long they stay on. One of the claws isn't on all the way down to the beginning of the nail so that one could come off sooner than the others but hopefully this solution will work long term. I wish I had done this when it was originally suggested to me but sometimes we need a push and free certainly was a great push, lol.

Hope this may help someone else who might be considering this option.

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.