Has anyone been to Mexico?

trixie42

Cathlete
Everyone,

DH and I (well mostly me) are planning a trip in the Fall and we want to go to Mexico. We want to go somewhere that has stuff to do (snorkeling, maybe scuba, swimming), good food and is just beautiful. Does anyone have any thoughts on where to go and where to stay?

Colleen

Hi Colleen,

Of the cities in Mexico that we've been to, I'd say that Cancun or Cozumel are the loveliest. Cozumel is much more low-key and relaxing, and there is amazing snorkeling in that area. (We only spent a day there and took a boat there from our hotel in Cancun.)

I'd also recommend that area since a visit to Chichen Itza was the highlight of our trip! The ruins there are incredible!

HTH!:)

For Mexico, I second the suggestion for Cozumel!! The water is amazing and the pace slower and the area less crowded. I don't like to snorkel much b/c it gives me terrifically terrible headaches, but I did a little bit there just b/c the water was so perfect. Don't know if you have considered Jamaica or not, but Ocho Rios is beautiful too with great water, and I personally preferred being there to Mexico.

I agree with everyone so far. Haven't been to Cozumel but I hear it's pretty amazing although pricer than other areas. You won't be dissapointed anywhere along the Mayan Riviera. Cancun is nice if you aren't too near their hotels district.

My all time favorite is heading south along the riviera. The closer to Tulum you are the better. You have the town of Tulum plus the Tulum ruins. Great snorkeling and activities along that area. Keep in mind the sand in this area is rather rocky and so is the ocean. So playing in the water you can't really do but snorkel you can do probably right outside your hotel. And if you have a car then the world is your oyster. You can visit all the ruins, towns, cenotes, activity areas. There is so much to see and do there.

I would agree with the Mayan Riviera (Cozumel, cancun, Tulum). I have also been to and loved Puerta Vallarta. very historic and beautiful. The beaches are not the white sandy ones, but a black sand, so not really an ocean kind of place, but still a great place to visit!
Jenn

A thread right up my Alley! I love Mexico it is my favorite vacation destination. My family especially my mom,DD(4),DS(9) and I travel to Mexico 2-3 times a year. Our favorite destination is the Mayan Riviera the resort we stay at is The Barcelo which is close to the Tulum ruins mentioned above. They have the most gorgeous beaches among all the resorts along the coast. Believe me on this my mom has been to most of them ;) The Barcelo is a all inclusive resort with swimming,scuba,snorkeling,water trikes, ATV rentals,horseback riding, parasailing, fishing, entertainment theater with nightly shows, a disco and on resort shopping. The pools are gorgeous, the buffets and beach grills are wonderful with GOOD food choices, fitness facilites and just plain beautiful like you asked. Another plus about the Barcelo and the Fall is that they have sea turtles nest on their beaches each year and lay eggs and in October the eggs hatch and the little tortugas(turtles) make their way to the sea and the guests get to praticipate :7 . I included a link to a WONDERFUL forum that is all about the Barcelo. Most of the people on this board are repeat(we are talking 8+ times) vacationers to this resort my mom included. Sorry for being so long winded but I hope this helped.

http://www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/forum/index.php

Hi,

I have gone to Mexico every year for about 6 years. Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and Playa Del CArmen. Playa is one of my favorites. We have stayed at the Barcelo, and mostly at Riu Hotels. They have been all inclusives and are all wonderful. If you go to Playa, you can take a 45 minute ferry over to Cozumel to snorkel etc And they have the best jewelry stores!:)

Deb

Another vote for Cozumel!!! We went there on a cruise back in '01 and had a lovely time! The water is gorgeous,and yep..its laid back! We only stayed there for one day though:-(!

I have to disagree with the others -- I have been to the Mayan Riviera and it is lovely and fun, but once you have seen the Pacific coast of Mexico, the Mayan Peninsula looks like nothing. I highly recommend Ixtapa -- stunning and lots of snorkeling, surfing, sailing, swimming, etc. And fantastic fresh fish. We stayed at the Westin Brisas -- very nice, great pools -- but there were also several other nice resorts there. And Ixtapa is much less built up than Cancun and Cozumel.

Tobermory

Thanks for all the great advice so far. I won't have much time to do some look at some of these places until this weekend, but I appreciate everyone's feedback.

Colleen

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.