Hardcore check in for June 2017

My sister got married yesterday for the first time at 50!! so happy for her.

Question for you all, do you all follow a certain diet? Trying to lose about 10 pounds and thinking of keto or just low carb, and wondering if I should cut out dairy

Roselyn, the most of my calories come from fat and protein. Some days the carbs are a bit higher than the protein. I pretty much eat Paleo. I allow some honey and I eat some fruit. More lately , like cherries and grapes. I have tried Keto. It leaves me without enough energy. I do not eat breads and cereal often. Mainly on a cheat day. Paleo can be different for different people. Strict Paleo is more like low carb. Mainly fats and protein, lower carb vegetables with a little starch like sweet potato and little to no fruit. No dairy though. I have so many books on Paleo, Keto, and Bulletproof diet. Lower carb works for me. Today when we went to our luncheon, it was 3 tables of desserts, buns, breads, chips potato salad. I had some of the brisket and a piece of chicken with coffee. Then when I got home I had some bone broth vanilla protein powder mixed with unsweetened coconut, melted almond butter, some honey, and a few extra dark chocolate chips melted with the almond butter as this holds it together much like a protein bar. I could probably mash it in a pan and refrigerate it into bars. . I eat it with a spoon, I do not like drinking my calories. Dinner was an egg fried in grass fed butter and a apple broccoli salad. Anyway, that would be pretty typical of my meals. The main thing is that the foods are pretty clean and fresh. No additives, organic if possible, and no GMO. Maybe the other ladies have a specific diet.

Roselyn, no, I use Ancient Nutrition Vanilla Bone Broth Protein Powder that I either purchase at Sprouts, Amazon, or Dr Axe website. I have been buying this for awhile. It seems to set better on my stomach than so much whey protein. I just do not like the vegetable protein powders. They get thick when you moisten them and just do not taste good.

Today I did RIPT90 Fit Chest & Arms. I like this one, it's short and sweet. Needs a bit more tricep work, but other than that, it's a good one.

This is the workout:
SETS 1 & 2 - doing these in circuit style going from one exercise to the next
Chest Press: 10/12 reps - 30's - I did 2nd set on an incline
Zottman Curls: 10/12 reps - 15's
Chest Flyes: 10/12 reps - 25's - I did 2nd set on an incline
Tricep Extensions: 10/12 reps - 25#
One Arm Press: 10/6 reps each arm - 20#
Curls to Overhead Press: 10/12 reps - 15's

SETS 3, 4, 5 & 6
Super Set (no rest from one superset to the next)
Close Grip Push-Ups:
4 sets/10 reps
Triple 7 Curls: 12's - (these are Crazy 8's, only doing 7 reps instead)

Workout was 30 minutes, Avg. HR was 73, Max was 113, burned 58 calories. My calorie burn seems to b going down with these workouts if that is at all possible.

I also walked on my treadmill for 1.25 miles.

Roselyn - I eat in moderation and try to do the 30/30/40 split - 30% fat, 30% carbs, 40% protein. Most times I get it others my carbs are a bit higher. I am maintaining at around 125# which I am happy with. I keep track of everything I eat every day with Myfitnesspal. Weekends are bad but I've been really trying to be more aware of what I'm eating on the weekends.

Have a great workouts, everyone!!!

Wow am I tired today. We went to San Diego State yesterday and stood in the sun for 8 hours straight! Exhausting... My oldest son was being looked at to play there and my youngest son went to get experience. Both of them kicked butt!! They both went against guys 320 to 380 pounds and they beat them in all of the drills! My oldest had to play tight end for the first time ever and did really well. He usually plays left tackle and defensive end but the college wants him for tight end.

Today I did Cathe Live Strong Upper Body and Core and Loved it!!! I did it last summer so I new what it was like. It was all DB's, which I like and it was Giant Sets doing each set 3 times! Talk about total exhaustion of the muscles. Workout was 1 hour 5 minutes and I burned 451 Calories. My average heart rate was 120 and my max was 154. I had to work hard to complete this workout. I cant wait to do it again.

Back-
1 Arm Rows- 25# x 12 ( 3 rounds)
Pullovers- 25# x 12

Shoulders-
Seated Overhead Press- 15# x 12 (3 rounds)
Rear Flies- 10# x 12
Front Raise- 10# x 12
Lateral Raise- 8# x 12

Chest-
Chest Flies- 15# x 12 (3 rounds)
Narrow Grip Chest Press- 15# x 12
Chest Press- 20# x 12

Triceps-
Lying Ext- 12# x 12 ( 3 rounds)
Cross Body Ext.- 10# x 12
Dips BW x 12

Biceps-
Traditional Curls- 15# x 12 ( 3 rounds)
W Curls- 12# x 12
Crazy 8's - 10# x 24

Debbie, nice workout today. I have previewed a few of the workouts and they looks good. I am going to do the Cathe Live right now because my husband got that for me for my birthday so I might as well do that or while, plus I love it. I am going to try to fit one day of legs in with 2 day of either Kickboxing or just cardio and 2 to 3 upper body workouts. I am thinking this should kick my butt into high gear and maybe loose some weight! I have to watch my eating during the summer, a lot of snacking with the boys...

Diane Sue, thanks for the workout sheets for Cathe Live, they will help so much!!! I cant even tell you how much I am enjoying the Cathe Live workouts this time around. I need to get new weighted gloves for the kickboxing and boxing workouts. Mine are falling apart, I have had them forever! I am going to go back and see what workouts I like the best and do those first. What workouts did you like the best?

Roselyn, I see the best results with low carb, but boy is it hard to stick to sometimes. I did it a few months back and lost a few pounds. I need to drop some weight as well so I will do it with you! I am also changing my workouts to Cathe Live for the month so maybe the total body workouts with kick my metabolism into high gear as well and burn some extra calories. Congrats on your sister getting married! It is better to wait and find your soul mate than to run into marriage and have it not work out. I am sure it was a beautiful event!

I have so much house cleaning to do this week I am not sure where I should start! Boys home for the summer will kill me and the house!

Have a lovely day!

Today I did Kelly Coffey's newest raw workout on YouTube, Cardio Crush, 33 minutes, 180 calories, 115/154 heart rate. I liked this one, the time went fast and some parts of it were burners. I will give a run down of this one, as I am writing them down.
I then did STS Mesocycle 2 disc 14 lower body, 52 minutes (had to adjust my to a barbell when I had dumbbells ready) 244 calories, 108/145 heart rate. 244 calories. Total time 85 minutes, 424. I felt my upper body was still sore from Ramped Up upper and Kelly's Upper Raw, so started with lower body this week.
Cardio Crush 33 minutes 6 inch step. Also need a firewalker loop for one segment. Kelly suggests this would be a good workout for a weighted vest. She did not use one though. I wore my 1.5 gloves throughout. She had gloves on but did not mention them.
all segments are timed and done 4 rounds
low impact jacks to two jumping jacks 4 rnds
Plank, down knee ins, up plank jack repeat 4 rnds
step onto step and punching alternating right and left 4 rnds
(firewalker band around thighs) side step , squat to calf raise 4 rnds
squat thrust jump onto step 4 rnds
crab in a bridge over the step 4 rnds
reverse lunge to knee up on step 4 rnds each round is all done on one side before moving to the other
boxing hooks 4 rnds Kelly seems to pick up some speed here
squat shuffle jump on step 4 rnds
stationary side kick 4 rnds each round done on one leg before switching
side bends rnd 1 hands on sides of head. rnd 2 reaching down side to side, rnd 3 and 4 reaching out into arrows
STS weights tri sets done 3 times 10 reps
squats 30's
one leg elevated lunges 25#
deadlifts Wide Stance 30's
repeat two more times
static lunge 20's
plie squats alternating hand 35# (should have went heavier)
one leg slide back lunge disc 20's
repeat 2 more times
stiff legged deadlift barbell 65#
side slide lunge with disc 20#
squat narrow stance 25's
repeat 2 more times

calf raises 20# 20 reps

repeat for 2 more sets

Jolie, I will have to go back and look at my notes on the live list and see what I really liked. I have several sets of weighted gloves. The oldest set is kind of rusty looking around the fingers because I put them in the washing machine. I have Cathe's in 1# which were coming apart at the thumbholes, but I sewed around the edges and it stopped. I also have the 2# and purchased some 1.5's which are my favorites. I pick up 1# dumbbells sometimes just so if my shoulders are getting tired I can just put them down.

Debbie, nice workout today. Lately, I am eating more fat usually in the 40 to 50% range. It always works out on the days that I eat more carbs, like fruit or sweet potatoes, my fat % is lower. Protein is generally a little higher than the carbs. I keep working on getting the fat down a bit, but lately have not been doing a lot of cooking for myself so am relying on protein powder and an occasional egg. I need to find time to go back and do the cook up food ahead thing. Last night I had a sweet potato already diced so put together a ground beef and sweet potato bowl from Paleo Leap that was really good. I have been busy making so many birthday cakes and things for family that has been here that I just haven't wanted to add the extra cooking. 30/30/40 is a good range.

Roselyn, I looked over Cathe's rotation for June and thought about it, but since I started doing some STS and am hoping to be doing the Fit Tower workouts before long I decided to bypass it.

Last edited:
I still have not got cathe live but i just might how much a month?

Sounds good Jolie trying to drop some weight together, I have read alot about the Keto diet and know people who have lost a good amount of weight I have to get past eating all that FAT!! I might give it a go, it is low carb no more than 20grams. I also have been reading labels alot more and the sucralose I found in some preworkouts and aminos i use stunned me so they must go

Last edited:
Roselyn, keto does work. My husband did it once. It is good for some medical conditions as well. When I started Paleo, it took me a while to get used to eating more fat. I kept trying to find lower fat products or leaving some fat out at first. You use the fat calories in place of those carbs you are not eating. I found that too with the supplements. I really liked the Amino Boost from Melaleuca but it had sucralose in it. I try to find just stevia in my protein powders. Some things want to mix in some xylitol and sugar alcohols in. I also notice even some organic foods add in some guar gum or other gum for the creamy texture. I discovered a couple of days ago that my Organic Cream has a gum in it. I just happened to look when I purchased some other cream that said pure cream on it and seemed thinner. I try to eat clean and it annoys me a bit when they add stuff that is not necessary.

Today I really did not want to run, I didn't have it in me. However, I decided to do Press Play of all the workouts. I should have stuck with an easier, shorter one because I quit after Challenge 3. I just wasn't into it today. Not feeling very energetic, I'm exhausted for some reason. Anyways, did ok with the challenges I did do but not as good as I usually do.

Workout was 47 minutes, FB said I went 2.88 miles but the treadmill said 3.03, I burned 314 calories (TM said 450) and went 6248 steps. My goal was 3 miles. Avg. HR was 114 and Max was 174.

Diane Sue - I've wanted to try Paleo but I sure love my carbs. I can't and don't want to give those up. I stay pretty well cut eating what I eat although my ab area holds a bit more fat than I like. That has always been my problem, though. Nice workout yesterday, that one looked really good!!!

Roselyn - Nice workout yesterday and looking forward to hearing what diet plan you will try. I hear Whole 30 is a good one as well.

Jolie - Congrats on your sons, I know you are very proud of them. That is awesome that they were able to do that. Nice going on your workout with Cathe live as well. I should check those out.

Today I am exhausted! My body is so sore from these Cathe Live workouts, it is unbelievable. I am taking a rest day and going to get my hair done. I am so over due and I am looking pretty shabby lately.

Debbie, great job on the workout even though you weren't feeling it today! My right knee is sore so I am laying off the walking for awhile to see if I can get the pain and inflammation to go away. You should try the Cathe Live workouts, they are so fun and there are sooooo many to choose from for only $10 a month. Let me tell you, you will be feeling them! They are a great change from what we are used to doing and I think our bodies will respond to the change.

Diane Sue and Roselyn, I will be back later to read your posts.

Have a great day!

Today was cardio and abs. I started with Shock Cardio Step Moves, 44 minutes, 316 calories, heart rate avg. 150/ max 175. I then did X10 Step, 26 minutes, 203 calories, 137/177 heart rate. STS Abs Circuits weights and plates since the last time I skipped the plates(not a favorite) 19 minutes, 60 calories. Abs was estimated because I forgot to start my Fit Bit. I turned it on for a bit and got a brief avg of 98 heart rate so used that with my calories burned app and the fact I usually get around 70 calories, Cathe was over 90 and map my fitness was on and had me at 119 using the abs setting. I finished off with SB relaxation stretch, 15 minutes, 25 calories. Total time was 104 minutes, calories burned 604, steps 6,588. I lowered the weights on X10 a bit because I have upper body tomorrow and didn't want to use too heavy. I dropped from 15 to 10# and 5# for the 8# shoulder work. I cooked up some chicken this morning in the slow cooker so I could have some for salads and adding to dishes. Not having something ready seems to leave me just relying on protein powder.. I like the looks of the Fit Tower Bootcamp workout video clip. I am looking forward to these.

Deb, Whole 30 is a great program if you stick to the rules. I was doing well on it till I kept reading other Paleo sites and books. The downfall is adding too many allowed fats and too many allowed carbs such as fruits and sweet potatoes. Also, it was awhile be fore I realized that on the low histamine plan I chose to try for my allergies, that I was not supposed to be eating chocolate. Grapes were out on that one. I eat grapes, apples, and berries here and there. Also honey is paleo but not something used much in Whole 30. I finally learned to adjust the amounts if I see my body fat composition is not where I want it or I start adding on weight. I stay around 113 to 117 most of the time. I have been tracking my sleep and reading up on it since the Fit Bit sparked some of my attention on this. I find if I get more rem and deep sleep I have some energy in the mornings and I am ready to workout. On those days where that is anywhere from 4 minutes to 15 minutes I am not wanting to do much of anything. I try to go to bed so that there is a possibility of 8 hours of sleep but I generally have at least an hour of that awake, usually more than that. It is frustrating. I am working on it.

Jolie, good idea. Rest is so important or you just get run down to where it takes awhile to recoup. I am sore from the Kelly Raw workouts. Today after the Raw workout and STS legs , I could really feel the legs. The cardio crush workout seemed like it targeted mostly the lower body other than some push ups mixed in and punches. I really liked it a lot.

I just looked at the Total Body Clip for the Fit Tower workouts. It looks good. I would almost think with some improvising someone could do these without the tower. A chair for balancing. Something to replace the pull ups. A step of course. I wouldn't expect Cathe's to say that though. The idea is to make the workouts promised to those who purchased the Fit Tower and to encourage new purchasers. I am glad that I have mine. I have used it for different things. I used it instead of holding onto a chair for the calf raises the other day. It is convenient having it there. It works well for hanging my mat on it when I need to pick it up for portions of a workout. A clothes hanger ;) Anyway, I like it. Looking forward to more use and having it as I move through a shortened STS round.

Today I did Legs & Abs from RIPT90. I really really like this workout. I added one more set as it only has two and that was great. This one got my HR up pretty good.

Sets 1, 2 & 3 (added 3)
Hanging Knee Raise: 10 reps
Sit Ups: 20 reps
Crunches: 25 reps
Straight Leg Deadlifts: 25's - 10 reps
Squats: 15's - 10 reps
Static Lunges: 12's - 10 reps each leg
These are done all in a row, no rest and little rest before starting it over again

Sets 4, 5, 6 & 7
Superset
Goblet Squats (I did plies):
12's - 10 reps
Tuck Jumps (I tried this and it killed my knees, I jogged in place)
These are done in superset form, one set right after the other, no rest.

Workout was 30 minutes, Avg. HR was 86, Max was 125. Burned 105 calories.

Then I had time to walk on my treadmill for 1.25 miles. Happy about that!!!!

Jolie - Hope your knees feel better. Mine aren't doing too bad today, even after my workout.

Diane Sue - I read about Whole 30 as well, I don't care for diet plans that are real strict, especially with carbs. I need my carbs. :)

Roselyn - Nice workout!

Today I did Cathe Live Hard strikes Boxing using 1 pound gloves. Workout was 1 hour long, average heartrate was 135, max was 170 and I burned 539 calories. I love this workout. If there were moves that hurt my toe because of jumping ect, I just did squats or something else. Believe me, I was feeling this workout even with some modifications. At the end there is some weight work and I used a 10# DB and then there were ABS.

Debbie, great job with the leg workout today! My knee is feeling better but I think it is sore because we have some rain today. I am going to get some supplements for joints at Vitamin Shoppe today and I will see if that helps any.

Diane Sue, I watched the preview to the tower workout as well and it does look good. I think you could just use a chair and a bench to get through the workout. I did not order them since I do not own the tower. If I want to try them I guess I could by using Cathe on Demand. I am loving Cathe Live workouts!!! I am going to do them for the summer and see if I can lean out some. It is so exciting to try new workouts every day.

Roselyn, I hope you have a great workout today.

It is raining here today which is very uncommon. I will take it because the heat will be here soon enough! I went to Lululemon yesterday and bought some new workout pants. Boy is it nice to wear something new for a change. I have to go through my workout cloths and get rid of some, they have been worn so many times and look bad.

Have a nice day.

Today I started with Shock Cardio double wave pyramid, 30 minutes, 222 calories, heart rate avg. 133/ max 169. I then did STS disc 15, 57 minutes, 250 calories, heart rate 108/149. I finished off with STS extended stretch, 15 minutes, 37 calories. Total time was 1 hr 42 minutes, 509 calories, 3946 steps.
Back and Biceps weights
w/u, band lat pull downs, band t pulls, and band y's
pull ups overhand 12 reps using the fit tower like Cathe
chin ups medium grip 12 reps
chin ups 12 reps
one arm dumbbell row 35# x 12 reps; 30# x 10 reps; 30# x 8 reps; 30 # by 10 reps
barbell rows 60# X 12 reps; 60# x 10 reps; 60# x 8 reps; 60# by 10 reps
deadlifts barbell 65# 12 reps; 60# 10 reps; 60# 10 reps
Barbell Curl 45# x 12 reps; 43# x 10 reps; 43# x 8 reps ; 43# x 8 reps
seated alternating curl dumbbells 20's x 12 reps; 16.5's x 10 reps; 16.5 x 8 reps
preacher curls on stability ball double arm 15's x 12 reps; 15's x 10 reps; 15's x 11 reps

Roselyn, I like Cardio Slam. It seems I do it quite a bit.

Debbie, good sounding workout today and adding another round to it. I have the Whole 30 plan and use recipes and ideas a lot. I was really looking forward to the new Cookbook, but after reviews I didn't purchase it. There were complaints of hard to find items. I will wait till I can get it at a reduced price. I think the husband and wife split may have changed some things. It seemed reading that he had more of the background for doing all of this. I think she did this last book on her own. With Whole 30 you don't see a lot of the Paleo baked goods and desserts that a lot of them have. Almost every other Paleo book has pancakes and muffins etc. . Just made with almond flour and coconut flour. Some go so far as to use a lot of tapioca flour. I don't like coconut flour baked goods. They tend to fall apart and texture is not nice. It also tends to get soggy in some things and won't crisp up. I do think Whole 30 is a very healthy plan as well as effective. At least they allow some fruit.

Jolie, I have done that live workout. It is a good one. Maybe you can find Joint Vibrance at the Vitamin Shop. They opened a Vitamin Shop here but I have never been to one. I used to mail order that sort of thing from Vita Cost before Sprouts came along. On Demand would be a good way to try the Fit Tower Workouts. I have all of the workouts so never considered using it. Having something new to look forward to each day was something I enjoyed about the live workouts. But then sometimes I spent too much time looking them over trying to decide which one I wanted to do. It is nice being able to wear some new workout clothes. I have been throwing some of mine away that are years old. I have watched Amazon for sales and picked up a couple of good deals on sports bras and pants. I actually found a Wacoal Sports Bra that I love that is a deep pink purple color with black net insets that matches some Under Armour pants I have perfectly. I originally wanted that Sports bra in the black which was 55 dollars. I found the Aster color for 12.99 and ordered it. It has since went back up and is 37.00 .

Today was Supercuts, have not done this in a long time, it was good to do something different.

So for you guys that have Cathe live how does that work? Do you have to use as she is actually doing the class or are the classes always there? I noticed she announced on FB a live class at 9 so this is why I ask

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.