Happy Cathe is Cathe!

Wanted to make a comment about Cathe! I totally love Cathe! I know I'm the past I recommended that Cathe have more beginner workouts! I was wrong in that recommendation! I thought that if there were more beginner workouts that more people would come and love Cathe like I do!

I remember when I was a new person to Cathe! I was obese! I barely could complete Basic Step and that was in the basic step without any risers. I didn't want to do any other her stretching exercises (even though it said beginner) because I thought I couldn't and I was afraid of my large size I would see how bad I was. I could do the Basic Step without noticing my big belly because I was vertical. I know for me, if there were any more beginner dvds of her I wouldn't have done it.

I think what Cathe has done and will continue to do is completely amazing! Cathe shows us at any age what we are all capable of doing! Even if we don't reach her advance level being able to do the dvd (workout) to beginning to end is an accomplishment and not turning it off. It is okay if we can't do a one handed burpee, we might someday. And if we never do a handed burped that is okay because there is other things we can modify it with. I know for myself, I have to tell myself there isn't Cathe Police out there, and she and her "gang" are not coming to my house and arresting me and putting me in jail because I can't do a one handed burpee! A one handed burpee is a recommendation. By the way a one handed burpee was an example. It was in one workout and not in all her workouts. I am not trying to scare anybody.

What I am trying to say is I am HAPPY that CATHY IS CATHY! If her next workout is the hardest yet, I will be HAPPY!

I like her motto about to change your body is to challenge it, if only for a minute!

Now, I am only 20 pounds overweight! I can finish Cathe workouts! I have to modify some of it, but I can do the Step on one Riser. I enjoy her yoga workouts, and stretching workouts too. When I was obese, if you told me I would do yoga I would say you are out of you mind! But, now I like it!

Thank you Cathe and Everybody,

Jen D.

That is the thing I find about Cathe (and other instructors who do higher intermediate to advanced workouts) - in the long run, they are better for you than workouts marketed for the "beginner". In a beginner workout, you have nothing to aspire to. With Cathe, I have reason to push myself. It's easy to buy a very good beginner or intermediate level workout. Not so much advanced workouts.

Not that I am knocking beginner or intermediate workouts. I have a ton of them. They are appropriate for me at various times. In my view, it's not an appropriate fit for Cathe to do anything but Advanced workouts. She represents what we all can aspire to, whatever level we are at, and up to this point, (more or less) this has been her niche. There is no need to water it down. Asking Cathe to do "beginner" workouts is like asking Mozart to do Imagine Dragon. Both great genres in their own right, but to ask one to the other is an injustice to both. I love Leslie Sansone, but I would never ask or expect her to do Plyo HiiT. By the same token, why do we think it's a fit to ask Cathe to do a "Walk to the Beat" workout?

So I agree! Let Cathe be Cathe.

That is the thing I find about Cathe (and other instructors who do higher intermediate to advanced workouts) - in the long run, they are better for you than workouts marketed for the "beginner". In a beginner workout, you have nothing to aspire to. With Cathe, I have reason to push myself. It's easy to buy a very good beginner or intermediate level workout. Not so much advanced workouts.

Not that I am knocking beginner or intermediate workouts. I have a ton of them. They are appropriate for me at various times. In my view, it's not an appropriate fit for Cathe to do anything but Advanced workouts. She represents what we all can aspire to, whatever level we are at, and up to this point, (more or less) this has been her niche. There is no need to water it down. Asking Cathe to do "beginner" workouts is like asking Mozart to do Imagine Dragon. Both great genres in their own right, but to ask one to the other is an injustice to both. I love Leslie Sansone, but I would never ask or expect her to do Plyo HiiT. By the same token, why do we think it's a fit to ask Cathe to do a "Walk to the Beat" workout?

So I agree! Let Cathe be Cathe.
Thanks Yamabachi! I totally agree with you!

Last week I was doing Leslie Sansone 4 Miles, and Leslie was chatting like she normally does. I haven't done Sansone workouts for a long time. I forgot how chatty she was. I know that is her charm, but I was becoming annoyed with it. It seemed to be to beginner. Don't get me wrong, I did sweat and it did get my heart pounding, but it wasn't the same.

You are right! I wouldn't want Cathe to do "Walk to the Beat"! I think she would be bored! And if Sansone did Plyo Hiit One, she would die because she couldn't talk in it!
Sansone does have some Hiit training, but not like Cathe!

That is true about advance workouts. There isn't much out there. That is one thing nice about Cathe is that if you are a beginner you can modify the workout. It may take some extra time on your part, but it is worth it. Also, Cathe does give modifications in her workouts too. Even if she doesn't continue in them, she still does it in the beginning!

Thanks for the comment, Jen D.

Leslie Sansone is my guilty pleasure. On days when I don't feel like working out, I pop in one of her shorter workouts and do a stretch or foam rolling afterwards. I have a ton of her DVDs and will keep doing her workouts forever. A few days ago on a recovery day, I popped in her 4 boosted miles workout and was reminded of how fun she can make her "4 basic steps". Plus she and her cast seems so happy and engaged in this DVD. Whenever I do any of her full five Mile walks, I burn close to 500 calories, so I can't feel too bad about not feeling like I dying from a HIIT workout .

And here I thought I was one of the biggest believers in Cathe. Cathe has completely changed my boring, ho hum life. Well, I guess my life is pretty unexciting, but now I've done things I never knew I could and that is because Cathe gave my something to work towards, to accomplish, and to still try to conquer. I started as an absolute beginner with some of her advanced workouts and I always tell people to just start, no matter what your level, and try to do what you can. It doesn't matter if you start with 5 lbs--you may surprise yourself that it is too light! And push-ups, just keep trying! At any rate, I now consider myself advanced and plan on continuing to buy all the workouts Cathe continues to produce.

Bumping this post from five years in the future. Couldn‘t agree more.

I think it’s attitude and professionalism that are the standouts with everything Cathe does. The “hard” workouts are not about her proving how much fitter or stronger she is than you; they are an invitation to excellence. That’s totally different. It’s scalable. You always have higher to climb and harder to push. That’s why we want to do the videos over and over — we want to replicate what we see on the screen. And what we see on the screen is not easy. It makes you earn it. I love that. You feel like you “accomplished something”, not just another workout, but something meaningful. Does that make sense?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.