Gym Style Similar to P90x?

sparrow

Cathlete
I know it's not a rotation but am just wondering if these are based on the heavy weights/low rep idea. I'm looking for the Cathe program that is closest in style to p90x.

TIA! Sparrow

My garden is filled with papayas and mangos
My life is a mixture of reggaes and tangos
Taste for the good life, I can live it no other way
- Jimmy Buffett

wow! you don't have gymstle? yes,it is heavy weight slow and low reps. p90x is still the best. i switch to cathe upper body after p90x rotation for about 2 weeks then get back.

laura

Now a Cathe DVD, but after hearing about all of the push ups in P90X, I started integrating a push-up morning once a week. I did 6 different kinds of push-ups between 10-20 reps each in a circuit type fashion 4 times around until I reached 40-80 reps. I had to go to my knees on some, but I saw great results and was able to increase my weights when I did traditional weight work. Now that I have P90x, the pushups are no big deal. I will definitely go back to the push up workout once I finish this rotation. Push ups are one of the cheapest ways to improve fitness, they make you look good, and if you do different types, they target different muscles.

Tracy

Gym Styles is similar in that it is a three-day split (and you can make a faux P90X rotation based around it, which is what I did--and posted in the rotations forum when GS first came out). But one big difference that makes P90X so much more effective, IMO, is the sequencing of the exercises. Cathe still stays with straight-set weight trainings (do a set of X exercise, pause, repeat, and do all exercises for X body part before moviing on), while Tony does push pull (a chest exercise, then a back exercise) or a circtuit-type order (a shoulder exercise, then a biceps exercise, then a triceps exercise, repeat, then rest), and incorporates very beneficial dynamix stretch breaks throughout the workout.

As Kathryn said, the sequencing of P90x is different which makes for a very different type of workout. P90x is unique in this regard and IMO that's what makes P90s so great.

But I think GS is a good alternative for a 3 day split.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.