Gym Style Question

dreamyjeanie

Cathlete
For those of you who use the Gym Style Series, do you do each DVD once a week or more than once a week? I'm trying to do 1 day Gym Style, next day Cardio, Gym Style, cardio etc which works each DVD once in the week and 3 days of cardio, but I don't feel that's enough for building strength. I'm plenty sore the next day so I think my weight selection is good, but I am not sure if I should be adding additional strength training so the body parts are worked more than once during the week. I know that once I reach a certain level of fitness one body part a week will maintain the results, but should I be doing more so I can get the initial results? For example should I do something like Chest/Triceps Monday & Thursday, Legs Tuesday & Friday, BSB Wednesday/Saturday, with Cardio at least 3 of those days? (& of course core work as often as possible) Or maybe Gym Style each once, but add a complete body workout like Boot Camp once a week. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Jean

I've been doing it like you are planning - rotating cardio with a day of GS. My body does much better with a rest day but if there were 8 days in the week - I'd add BC or C&W or PP.

Believe me with GS and Cardio (like Imax 3, LM, and KM) it's quite a workout!

I'll be curious to see what other say.

I did and an upper body on Monday, Tuesday was GS legs, Wednesday was the other upper body, Thursday was no weights and Friday I did Muscle Max or some other total body endurance. I am a cardio junkie so I did a session once a day. You could do 3 days a week...two longer sessions on Thursday and Saturday and a shorter session worked in during the week.

Just tossing out ideas...

Thanks everyone. It sounds like I don't need to try to squeeze each DVD twice which is a good thing because I wasn't sure where I would find the time. If I just add 1 more total weight day and maybe some extra cardio, then I'll start to see the results I'm looking for. I'm just so impatient. Sure wish I had a magic wand or jeanie ponytail that worked magic. LOL. But then it wouldn't be an accomplishment.

Jeany

Hi
I actually do the Gymstyles 2 different ways.

One week I'll do the 30 minute premix of an upper body w/ 30 minutes running on the treadmill. I put the Gymstyles Legs day in between the 2 upper body days and if I feel like running on my Legs day, I do only the standing legs (30 minutes) w/ 30 minutes running. One day off or one day cardio only then the 5th day I'll do total body like Muscle Endurance or MuscleMax. If I'm still feeling strong, I'll do cardio on the 6th day. (step, kickboxing or running)

The other way I do them is I do the entire workout Upper Body, then Legs day, then other Upper Body. I can either repeat the cycle for 3 days for a 6 day workout week or do a cardio day like StepBlast, LowMax or run and then a total body day on the 5th day, etc.

In my case, I like to alternate my weeks w/ one week heavy on weights and another week focused on including lots of cardio. I also like to do some weeks w/ lots of circuit workouts too. I guess I like variety and I actually think the Gymstyles are very versatile. :) HTH /karen

I'm starting a new rotation with the Gym Styles starting next week. I got the idea from one of my Muscle and Fitness Hers Magazines. I'm going to do a 4 day on 1 day off rotation. It will look like this.

Sunday - Gym Style Back, Shoulders, and Biceps + 30 minutes of cardio
Monday - Gym Style Legs
Tuesday - Gym Style Chest and Triceps
Wednesday - Either Low May or Kick Max
Thursday - Rest
Friday - start over again with Sunday's workout.

Plus I'll be throwing Core Max and Stretch Max in there a couple of days per week as well.

When I did GS, I would do one of the upper body workouts on "day 1," legs on "Day 3," and the second upper body on "day 5." If anything, I would add another lower body on "Day 6." But, otherwise, this worked quite well. But I've found that longer recovery after more intense workouts works best for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.