GYM? OR NO GYM?

Ketros

My friend wants me too join the gym with her.. I am not sure how too add it with my StS program or my many other Cathe dvds... I don't want to over do it either.. so if anyone does both gym and Cathe programs please let me know!

I don't want to buy the downloads as just purchased some of the new dvds coming out.. Help :)

I see value in both having a gym membership and working out at home. I do both. Works for me.

At the gym I get to use a treadmill for running and intense powerwalking workouts, which I love. I also use the exercise machines to work the lower body, so this complements working out at home with free weights. At the gym, the stability f the machine suports me and I can really heavy up. At home, free weights allow for a wider range of motion and more combo moves: like mixing a rear lunge with overhead press for example.

At home I get more cardio options, using Cathe's step routines and circuit DVDs by Cathe and Kelly Coffey Meyer. At home, I can vary lifting styles with these same two instructors and I have access to equipment my gym does not have like exercise bands, tubing and stability ball.

The only way I can make this happen is because my gym, Planet Fitness, costs only $10 per month. More than that, I could not afford. Look to your finances first: can you afford monthly fees? Secondly, are you excited as you walk through the gym door at the chance to work out with the equipment there? if not, than it isn't for you. You can take your downloads to the gym, no trouble.

Clare

Thanks Clare

I can get the gym membership really cheap $8 a month through my husbands work! Finances are not the issue.

I have a treadmill at home and all equipment too do the STS program.. I do find that the leg work at home is limited on how heavy I can lift over my shoulders.. I guess my question is more like .. How to add the gym workouts iin with my routine so that i am not over doing the muscles... Can you work the same muscle twice in one day?

Can you work the same muscle twice in one day?

In a word, no. Can you work it in? Sure. But do not try to work the same muscle twice in one day, that sounds like a recipe for injury.

I know that some people take Cathe with them on a video ipod. You could really do an awesome job with lower body STS at the gym. I only do Cathe cardio 2-3x/a week. I cross train the other days. Having equipment would be convenient on rainy/snowy days. That said, I find the gym to be a hassle now that I'm so used to having Cathe on my DVD player.

Definitely don't do gym weight work AND STS at home.

Either take STS to the gym somehow, as mentioned above (Meso 3 would be better to do in the gym than at home, IMO, unless you have a safety squat rack at home). You could find some way to rip the audio onto an MP3, perhaps.

Or you could do STS at home and cardio at the gym.

I am another person who works out both at home and at the gym. At the gym I mainly do Spinning classes, swimming and weight work that I can't do at home (e.g. assisted pull-ups/chin-ups on the Gravitron, anything where I need a weight greater than 50 lbs).

I prefer to do class-style hi-low, kickbox and step at home, as well as most of my weight-training. That way I can tailor the class to what I want (premixes) and I never have to wait for machines.

Stebby

Thanks for your help ladies!

@Stebby, that is what i am looking too do at the gym, just not sure what days i would do the machines .. On cardio days? I have the slow and heavy series and muscle max love them both .. would love to know what routine you do.. Mondays/Wed/fridays would be my weight days and the rest of the week along with Saturday would be cardio and abs... Would I do the weights at the gym like what you said on the cardio days?

Thanks so much!
Tracy

Back in the day when I did belong to a gym it was for group fitness classes and/or convenience: I used to workout on my lunch hour. Now, no gym and not missing it as I have build my home gym to a level that is enough for me. If you are new to fitness, gyms are a great place to learn a lot.

Personally, I would tend to do my cardio at the gym and weights at home, but you might find the opposite. You could always do the majority of your strength training at home, then tack on a few gym-specific exercise after a cardio workout. If you do splits, you can time it so muscles are not worked on consecutive days.

Hmmm that's interesting, I seem to do the opposite of most. I feel the gym offers much more in the way of weights and equipment that are too expensive and/or take up too much space at home, so I do all my strength training at the gym & all my cardio at home.

Also, I see no reason why you can't do both STS and weights at the gym. It depends on the frequency with which you lift, and how you split the body parts. I've used STS here & there but I've tailored it around my own lifting routine rather than follow the schedule that came with it.

For me the value of the gym is being able to lift much heavier than I can at home, and having more variety for the strength training exercises. I mean, who can fit or afford a free standing squat rack? Or smith machine? Or a leg extension or leg curl machine? Or a pec deck? These are all things that are essential to my routine. No way would I ever give up my gym membership. :)

I had a gym membership for about 3 years mostly to be able to utilize a treadmill and loved it. I used it in conjunction with my home work outs ofcourse. :)

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.