GWT--where is everyone?

Good afternoon!

Keith, I'm not sure why it is so enduring. I've been puzzling over that after you asked. I think that the movie might have something to do with the lasting quality of it. I can imagine that since the movie has come out, that many people have seen the movie first before reading the book. That could be one reason.

Obviously, (sp? I'm tired and that does not look right) Ms. Mitchell portrays "her" south in a good light. But interestingly she throws in a character like Rhett Butler to show the problems the south would face when entering a war with the north. But most of all the story points out the strong feelings of the southerners in their ways, morals and society and how they did not want to budge from those views. Ashley and Melanie were the old south and would have stuck to their "ways" no matter what. Rhett and Scarlet were the practical thinking people who were willing to accept change and roll with the punches. (while sometimes acting like they were following along with the rest of society)

Okay, I've really got to get back to work.

BTW, Laura, you are right up there with me. I think I got to page 250 or so this morning!

Keith, you mentioned "Birth of a Nation," and I just wanted to ask if you had the chance to check out DJ Spooky's "Rebirth of a Nation"? I saw it at the Modlin Center at Universty of Richmond last spring. Really cool deconstruction of the film. Here's a link to some info about it. I think it would make a cool contrast to the original film in your class: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4112682

Here are a couple of clips- one with Griffin talking to President Wilson, saying how realistic (!) "Nation" was. (It was the first, if not the only, film to be premiered at the White House.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ljIq0lz0qY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VCwXF8nzx4

I think he still tours with it on occassion. Check it out if you get a chance---I was going to say "if you haven't yet," but, if I get the chance, I'd like to see it again. He uses different mixes at different showings, and there was so much to see that it's worth another look. Maybe you can convince UVA to bring DJ Spooky to the campus for a showing!

Last edited:
Greetings all - I'm back from a long day of running around, working out, etc, etc. Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses. They have offered some valuable insights and will surely consider them in my work on the subject.
TeTe - the links you provided for DJ Spooky's "Rebirth" were fascinating. I was unfamiliar with his work until now. But I am certainly going to check further into it. I wonder in the Woodson Center at UVA is aware of him...I think I will pay them a visit.
Laura - were you at Wm & Mary when Rhys Isaac was teaching there?
Talk to you all later,
Keith

No, but I did know Kelso b/c I worked at Jamestown. AND Yorktown. I did school tours at Jamestown, I was in costume at Yorktown. :)

So what did you think of Ironbound? It was without question THE most disgusting gym I've ever seen! When I opened up at 5 am I'd turn the lights on & roaches bigger than my thumb would run for cover! :eek:

PS--sorry to hijack the thread!

I'm also sorry to hijack the thread. I let my membership at Ironbound die and went back to the school gym in spite of the crowds. It was pretty gross, and the (mostly male) clientele were kind of hostile and insular. But...it was pretty much the only gym there was! I was NOT sorry to get out of Williamsburg. I was back there for a conference a few months ago and it hasn't changed much.

Keith, I hope that you can get him there. I'll definitely take the short trip up 64 from Richmond to see it again!

Yeah, I wasn't fond of Williamsburg myself. 3 out of every 4 license plates were out of state, every day I'd get behind someone who'd just stop in the middle of the road to sight see.

Keith, I never met Prof Isaacs. I actually took an empirical studies course w/a visiting UVA prof, but I can't remember his name. :confused: It was *ahem* some years ago. ;)

I think the only reason the book has endured is b/c of the character of Scarlett. It's a non-regional, non-partisan, non-ethnic love of a character who broke through the rigid mores under which women lived during the 19th c. Even women today admire her strength & ambition. And she kind of made it OK for a woman to be selfish & tough. JMHO.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.