Guess What? A Short P90X Question!!!

dogs2birds

Cathlete
Sorry! BUT...How many of you who did P90X couldn't do pull ups or chin ups in the beginning but were able to do them in the end? I can't do ANY unassisted it's making me crazy (I'm just finishing week 1).

I apologize if this has been addressed before and I missed it.

Thanks!

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Hey Suz!

I am going to start P90X next month and if I go with the pull up bar option (as opposed to the band-I'm still undecided), I can garuntee you that I will NOT be able to do any unassisted chin ups or pull ups right away! I seriously don't think it's unusual at all!

Hi Suz,

I have just finished week 5. I use the doorway pull-up bar and the high step (started out with 9 risers) for assistance. This week I just took 4 risers off of the high step, so I know that I am getting stronger and am hoping by the end of 90 days I will be able to do one, hey maybe two without any assistance. So hang in there and good luck with the X.

Lea

I never got to the point of being able to do any without assistance, but I used less and less assistance. Pull-ups are very tough for me (I can lift quite heavy in 1-arm rows, often heavier than what other people who can actually do chin-ups seem to be able to do, but there is some weak link somewhere---I think shoulder girdle--that makes p-u/c-u tough). Last summer, I started a pull-up challenge (until my shoulder started bothering me) and I was able to make it 'all' the way to 1 3/4 without assistance. LOL! (But starting from 0 with no assitance, that wasn't too bad).

Don't feel bad. Most people (women AND men) can't even do one unassisted pull-up/chin-up.

I just got my pull up bar last week (early X-mas present) and just started P90X yesterday. My pull ups are pathetic at best. Basically what I am trying to do now, is just hang in the pull up position for as long as I can without dipping down and back up again. Hopefully when I can hang longer, I will be able to work up to non-pathetic looking pull ups. Hanging there still gives a good bicep workout!

To me the worst part of this program so far is the before pics. Wow - I really didn't think I looked that bad. I just wanted to gag or cry or something when I saw the pictures of my backside. No wonder I cant do a pull up:eek: I had my son take the pictures. He must have seen the horror on my face because he kept asking me if it was something he did in taking the picture wrong.:7 I sure hope the future pics look better. If nothing else, at least I can't keep lurking in denial. It amazes me how a person who does Cathe 5 days a week can still be so big. It just proves that it takes diet AND exercise. Fruits and veges - here I come!

Suz...I'm with you!!! I am in the middle of week 2....and although I can definitely see strength gains...not so much with the pull ups!!! I am trying to take heart in my gains in other areas (mostly push ups..I can't believe how many I am doing on my toes now!!!) I did have to move up in weights for the heavy pants and lawnmowers..so I am hoping that those changes will translate into some real pull ups! Good luck...and know that you are not alone!!

Debra

Bite off more than you can chew. Then chew it---Ella Williams

Hey Suz,

Feel free to join the Xers check in if you like. I'm finishing Week 1 today. As of yet, I can't do any unassisted pull/chin ups, but my goal is to get there by the end of the 90 days.

In the meantime, I keep telling myself that P90X is about a lot more than just the pull-ups. They are really a small part of the whole package, and if I never get a pull up in, I've still done my whole body a whole lot of good.

Cheers,
Sandra

Pullups are tough....especially if you are carrying a few extra pounds around the waist like me.....but I went from doing 1 to five or six during the series of the reverse grip. P90X is a good workout!!!!

So Wendy you decided to take the plunge? Good for you!!! That's awesome. You're gonna love it! I can't believe I'm finished with the first week already. Your avatar is so cute. Every time I see a new picture of Joey I can't believe how BIG he's getting. Good grief! Where does the time go. He's just adorable.

Angie - I hear ya on the pics. We just never really know exactly how we look until we see pictures. Why is that? :( But don't worry. Your afters are gonna be marvelous!

Thanks to everyone else for your responses. That makes me feel better. I know pull ups and chin ups aren't the only thing that matters with this program, but to see those other girls do them just really make me want it SO BAD! :)

Suz

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." - Anatole France

http://www.picturetrail.com/dogs2birds

Me! I couldn't do any when I started, (I could do 1 chin up though), and when I finished I could do 2 pulls ups and 6 chins.

m.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.