Green Smoothies and Juices

kenja

Cathlete
What are some of your favorite smoothies (green or not) or juices. Just starting to experiment!
It's all a bit daunting!!!!

I've been trying vanilla coconut milk with a tropical frozen fruit mix lately that includes things like pineapple and mangos. Yum. Sometimes I put spinach in. :)

Mine is chocolate peanut butter...

1 cup milk
2 cups crushed ice, varies depending on how thick you like it
1/16 - 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
2Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
1 scoop chocolate protein powder (I like Jay Robb, but have used others as well)
1-2 Tablespoons peanut butter
1/2 frozen banana

That's the basic recipe, but I add 1Tablespoon of flax seed, about 1-2 Tablespoons of canned pumpkin and a few huge handfuls of spring mix...it's surprising how much you can add before it alters the taste much ( unless your spring mix has a lot of spinach in it or you overdo it on the pumpkin).

if I'm out of spring mix, I've been know to throw in some frozen broccoli or kale...whatever I have in the house that's green. Ive also thrown in frozen blueberries.

This isn't necessarily a low calorie option, but it's great after a weight workout and it tastes like a treat, but is pretty healthy.

Trixoo

Pam

Here's the protein shake I make:

3/4 C almond milk
1 fresh banana
a generous handful of fresh spinach
2 T plain greek yogurt
1 full scoop of vanilla whey protein powder
~Sometimes I'll add 1 or 2 frozen strawberries esp in the summer when I want the shake a little colder
:)

Tracy

My go to green smoothie is very similar to some of the ones already posted, but here is my variation:

1 tbsp chia seeds (these things are amazing at making you feel full and are good for you: 6 g fiber, 9 g calcium, 5 g fat, 2 g protein, and omega 3's)

1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1 scoop amazing meal - chocolate infusion powder
1 tbsp almond butter
2 handfuls spinach
1 small banana (I like it frozen)
70 g frozen, organic, wild blueberries (YUM!)
70 g frozen cherries
3/4 c unsweetened almond milk
1/4 c coconut milk

~ 8-10 ice cubes

Here are two simple smoothie recipes (I have a LOT more in my blog, under raw food: "Green (and not-so-green) smoothies" post):

Chocolate milk of your choice (I use non-dairy) OR non-chocolate milk with a spoonful of cacao powder + sweetener if needed; handful of spinach; handful of frozen blueberries.

One peeled orange; 1 frozen banana; handful of kale; enough water to make desired consistency.

Both (and most green smoothies) really need a Vitamix or Blendtec or other powerful blender to make smooth (regular blenders will leave the greens 'flakey').

Blueberry cinnamon smoothie

Low fat milk
Plain low fat yoghurt (a tablespoon)
Blueberries
One scoop plain protein powder
One teaspoon "LSA" (ground linseed, sunflower, almond mix)
Teapoon of honey
Dash of flaxseed oil
Few shakes of ground cinnamon

Mmmmmmmmm!!

ETA: Just a warning - if like me you keep your spices in alphabetical order, be aware that your cinnamon will most likely be next to your chilli. (Oh yes I did. :eek:)

Last edited:
OMG - that's too funny - I do keep my spices in alpha order, but I segregate them on two shelves: one for savory spices/herbs and one for "baking" spices; plus the chili one is twice as big - good thing!
-

My favorite that I toss together are small handfuls of the following:

red or green seedless grapes
cucumbers
carrots
asparagus
pineapple
kale or collard
watermelon (when it's in season and taste good)

It's on the thick side but the right amount of each can be very refreshing.

Good Luck experimenting. The first one I experimented with was really nasty.. I had to toss it out. It's fun trying different receipes.

Brenda

This is my favorite at the moment:

1/2 cup of pomegranate juice (pricey but worth it)
a bunch of Kale
1 or 2 carrots
1 orange
1 apple
1 cup of blueberries

this makes enough for 2 people and is yummy!

Liz

I've been trying vanilla coconut milk with a tropical frozen fruit mix lately that includes things like pineapple and mangos. Yum. Sometimes I put spinach in. :)

I love spinach as an add in, its not over powering like kale. I did not like kale in my smoothies. You might enjoy some fresh parsley or even some thyme leaves. Basil might work too and disappear. Basil/oregano are both really good for you.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.