Great Glutes question(s)

mrsprincess07

Cathlete
I am waiting for my Great Glutes and Lean Legs DVDs to arrive. In the mean time I am having to meet with my Orthopedist about reoccurring hip issues from many moons ago. I am leaning towards soft tissue issues bc I haven't (a) kept up on my PT exercises from several yrs ago, (b) have a toddler that wants to be carried All. The. Time and (c) have pregnancy hormones loosening some ligaments and joints more than others.

When I head into his office next week I know one of things will be to make sure I am working the 3 muscles of the Glutes- Maximus, Medius, and Minimus. What I would like to know is:

1. Does Great Glutes (maybe even Lean Legs) train all 3?
2. If so, will I find that I get training for all 3 WITHOUT doing the compound exercises (doing everything but the compound work). Due to restrictions I can't do the compound sections until about 8 weeks postnatal.
3. Do certain sections focus more/less on training all 3 or at least Medius and Minimus (the hardest for me to train)?

I've also got XTrain's Legs as well as Turbo Barre and Lower Body Blast coming now too.

Last edited:
I am waiting for my Great Glutes and Lean Legs DVDs to arrive. In the mean time I am having to meet with my Orthopedist about reoccurring hip issues from many moons ago. I am leaning towards soft tissue issues bc I haven't (a) kept up on my PT exercises from several yrs ago, (b) have a toddler that wants to be carried All. The. Time and (c) have pregnancy hormones loosening some ligaments and joints more than others.

When I head into his office next week I know one of things will be to make sure I am working the 3 muscles of the Glutes- Maximus, Medius, and Minimus. What I would like to know is:

1. Does Great Glutes (maybe even Lean Legs) train all 3?
2. If so, will I find that I get training for all 3 WITHOUT doing the compound exercises (doing everything but the compound work). Due to restrictions I can't do the compound sections until about 8 weeks postnatal.
3. Do certain sections focus more/less on training all 3 or at least Medius and Minimus (the hardest for me to train)?

I've also got XTrain's Legs as well as Turbo Barre and Lower Body Blast coming now too.

Hi,

IMO due to restriction I would not do any big compound exercise such as deadlift, squat, lunges and hip thrust. That being said, your hip issue would eventually need to be tackled by strengthening both glutes and hip bones. You can not strengthen your hip bones with barres and light resistance workout. There is not any other way for strengthening bones and ligament.

To reply to your question yes you can work glutes maximus and medium. Minimus being located at the intersection between your hamstring and glutes, it is difficult to hit it. There is one compound move which work it well but you will need the "all clear" from your PT first. Also You will need to invest 30 minutes x3 per week.

All the very best and enjoy motherwood:):)

Thank you for the reply and taking the time!

I do though, think you misunderstood. I am not looking for workout advice- I've been in PT for YEARS, sadly. Btw, you can strengthen bones and ligaments with light to no weights. You strengthen your "endurance muscles", the slow twitch fibers.

Hip thrusts I am good with, I can do those! If this DVD has them, I'll be quite happy!

What I really wanted to know was the non-compound portions of the DVD work all three heads of the glute or are they "maximus" focused. I am trying to build a routine to submit to my Ortho. In doing so properly I can avoid another long and costly stint in PT.

Anyone else?

I'll post my question in the Ask Cathe forum too, she might be able to help! :D

Thank you for the reply and taking the time!

I do though, think you misunderstood. I am not looking for workout advice- I've been in PT for YEARS, sadly. Btw, you can strengthen bones and ligaments with light to no weights. You strengthen your "endurance muscles", the slow twitch fibers.

Hip thrusts I am good with, I can do those! If this DVD has them, I'll be quite happy!

What I really wanted to know was the non-compound portions of the DVD work all three heads of the glute or are they "maximus" focused. I am trying to build a routine to submit to my Ortho. In doing so properly I can avoid another long and costly stint in PT.

Anyone else?

I'll post my question in the Ask Cathe forum too, she might be able to help! :D

Hi,

I am a fitness instructor and I have past my anatomy physiology. The knowledge gained from reputable source can confirm my statement.

Here is one of reputable and knowledgeable info, enough, i believe, to support my statement!

Cathe Friedrich - Resistance Training for Bone Health: How Hard Do You Have to Lift to Increase Bone Mass?.

http://cathe.com/how-effective-is-step-training-for-improving-bone-density

http://cathe.com/resistance-training-or-aerobic-exercise-which-is-best-for-increasing-bone-density

My reply to your question meant to say: yes for glute maximus and medius *not sure* about minimus.:)

I have seen your post on "Ask cathe" box.

All the very best!:D

Last edited:
Hi,

I am a fitness instructor and I have pass my anatomy physiology. The knowledge gained from reputable source can confirm my statement.

Here is one of reputable and knowledgeable info, enough, i believe, to support my statement!

Cathe Friedrich - Resistance Training for Bone Health: How Hard Do You Have to Lift to Increase Bone Mass?.

Cathe Friedrich - How Effective Is Step Training for Improving Bone Density?

Cathe Friedrich - Resistance Training or Aerobic Exercise: Which Is Best for Increasing Bone Density?

My reply to your question meant to say: yes for glute maximus and medius *not sure* about minimus.:)

I have seen your post on "Ask cathe" box.

All the very best!:D

Thanks again!

I will respectfully disagree with you! If what I said wasn't true, thousands of people would never benefit from physical therapy, let alone band and body weight work. I'll stick to guidance from medical professionals. No offense, really! :D But I've taken anatomy too, even cadaver dissection labs. But that doesn't make me an expert on how the body heals.

Thanks again!

I will respectfully disagree with you! If what I said wasn't true, thousands of people would never benefit from physical therapy, let alone band and body weight work. I'll stick to guidance from medical professionals. No offense, really! :D But I've taken anatomy too, even cadaver dissection labs. But that doesn't make me an expert on how the body heals.

I am not an expert on dissection. Neither am I a doctor. To clarify I never stated resistance through body weight wouldn't work. Resistance through band is not significant to increase Bone density. That being said I respectfully stick to my statement based on various documentations. My post didn't refer to any medical guidance. I believe I replied to the question regarding great glute. At least I have tried!

As to statement below, I respectfully agree to disagree:

"Btw, you can strengthen bones and ligaments with light to no weights. You strengthen your "endurance muscles", the slow twitch fibers."

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.