Good News & Bad News

k2mills

Cathlete
Well, the good news is I ran my very first 5K!
My sister was the encouragement, running a half-marathon last year at age 50. I'm 8 years younger than her, so started running occasionally over the past year. My goal was to simply finish the thing and run the whole time. I'm slow: 10-minute miles, but I did it!

The bad news: now I have bursitis in my hip:(
No activity for at least a week. While I really don't miss the running, it's driving me crazy not to be able to work out!

I know, I know - an ounce of prevention . . . .

Hoping for quick healing,

GREAT on the 5K!!!!! I have had bursitis in my hip and please rest up. I actually thought I had a broken hip it hurt so bad but mine was bad because I am terrible about trudging on until I am in intense pain. It always ends the same longer rest and recovery for me sooooo ice and rest and you'll be back at it in no time!
LD

Congratulations on your first 5K!

Think of the bursitis (are you sure that's what it is?) as a lesson to be learned, and for your next 5K (or 10K!) you can prepare better(rather than running 'occasionally' ;-) )

Good job on the 5K!

I am chiming in to say I have hip bursitis also, and have to avoid "all" high impact stuff. I'm only 34, by the way. It got so bad for me that my doctor put me on an anti-inflammatory for a full month (can't remember which one), and PT. So, rest up, it can get pretty bad if you just try to ignore it.

Sally

> and for your next 5K (or 10K!) you can prepare better(rather than running 'occasionally' ;-) )

Yes, I guess just running twice a week for a couple weeks before wasn't enough. IF I do another one, could you recommend how long I should prepare?

TIA,

> my doctor put me on an anti-inflammatory for a full month and PT.

I'm on an AI for a full week, then as needed. Rest & ice of course. What kind of PT? I am doing some stretches and will add some more outer thigh work later, but may ask my chiro if ultrasound would be a good thing.

My PT basically consisted of lying leg exersizes. It helps to strengthen the muscles around the hip to hold it in place a little better. Hope you feel better soon!

Sally

>Yes, I guess just running twice a week for a couple weeks
>before wasn't enough. IF I do another one, could you recommend
>how long I should prepare?

I have some books that give info on preparing for various length racewalks, so I'm sure the same exits for preparing for various length runs.

Try doing a web search under "5K preparation," and see if there is any free info out there.

If that doesn't work, I'd be happy to post a racewalking prep schedule, so you can get an idea of what to do.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.