Good books?

Dela

Cathlete
So what books are you all reading now? Anything that you just love? I have not read a book for enjoyment in years, and I would like to do that again. Between work and the time I spend online, books and my ability to just relax for a while just flew out the window, the only ones I do read are related to a hobby of mine (and pretty boring), and I just can't seem to get that much better anyway.

I want to take some small steps to add some new activities to my life in general, small start I know, but it's something.

I had heard a lot of talk about The Girl with the Dragon tattoo, is that a good one?

A few of my all-time favorite books are:

Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Two Years Before the Mast by Richard Henry Dana
Robinson Crusoe by Daniel Defoe

These are all excellent, superbly written books that, given a bit of ones' time, develops a wonderful story... because they are older, classic literature, I think they are quickly and unjustly overlooked. However, the writing is simply sublime :rolleyes:

Currently, I am reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. While it's not Dickens or Tolstoy...it's a good read.

I did read the first two books in the Girl with the Dragon tattoo series and do be aware that they are highly graphic and involve very graphic rape scenes. It was more than a bit scary for me.

That said, I love to read. Tell us more about the kinds of books you like, are you a mystery person? how about fantasy? Did you like Harry Potter? The Lord of the Rings was tough slogging, it took me more than a week to get through and I was on an spring vacation.

I'm currently working on writing a dog and his girl story, its like a boy and his dog only different.

What hobbies are you into? (I know thats sort of off topic. . )

Alisha

I love the classics, too, and agree with tralaiven on those favorites (although I'm probably one of the few who felt Anna got what she deserved in Anna Karenina!;))! I haven't had much time for pleasure reading lately, but I FINALLY got a library card (after living here for 17 years!) and intend on getting back to my "mini-vacations" through reading. Right now I have 2 books waiting for me at my local llibrary branch: Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", and Pearl S. Buck's "Mandala". I loved Pearl Buck's "Good Earth" series and a friend said "Mandala" is similar, except it is set in India. I have a more current book in "the holding queue" at the library; Lisa See's "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" about 19th century China and how it affected the women.
I love getting emersed in a good book and losing myself in the character's world! Sure beats TV!!!:eek:

I have recently read, and fell in love with, The Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins. There are 3 books in the series. The first is The Hunger Games, the second is Catching Fire, and the third is Mockingjay. They are labeled as Teen Fiction, but they are definitely NOT just for teens!! Its the kind of story that you think about all day and read half the night! I cannot believe how much I loved reading these books... so much so that I've begun reading them again!! Also, The Hunger Games is being made into a movie which is coming out March 23, 2012. I can't wait!!!

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Series is excellent. There are some graphic scenes in the books but I highly recommend them. The first 50 or 60 pages of the first book is hard to get through but after that it's great. I felt each book got better and better.

Other Recommendations:

Mystery/Thriller
The Spellman Files - Lisa Lutz - Funny, witty and a little dark
Sue Grafton - Alphabet Series
Lee Child - Jack Reacher Series
Sara Paretsky - V.I. Warshawski Series
The Man Who Smile - Henning Mankell (Swedish)
Black Seconds - Karin Fossum (Norwegian)
Sharp Objects - Gillian Flynn (very dark but good)

Others
Moloka'i and Honolulu - Alan Brennert
Q Road - Bonnie Jo Campbell
Whistling in the Dark - Lesley Kagan
Crow Lake - Mary Lawson
The Outcast - Sadie Jones
The Risk Pool - Richard Russo
Once Upon A Day - Lisa Tucker

If you are looking for something completely fluffy I have another idea. I was once at the library trying to find a yoga book and I found out you could search "yoga - fiction" and "knitting - fiction". There are several yoga mysteries and a lot of chick lit that takes place in a knitting store. These books have no literary merit, but are entertaining for a couple of hours. And really all I require of my entertainment is to not think about my life for a couple of hours. ;)

I loved seeing everyone's responses...I'm always looking for good books to read. I'm currently reading The Help & really enjoying it :)

I'm with tralaivin and Nancy; LOVE the classics. (They've withstood the "test of time" for a reason, right?) Bonus: if you have a Kindle, most of the classics are available for FREE!!!!

I adore Jane Austin-a woman long before her time. One of my favorite books of all time is East of Eden by John Steinbeck. It is an epic (looong) but well worth it. (BTW, I do tend to skim through Steinbeck's lengthy descriptive passages-a bit dull for me)

I also loved The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I read it several years ago and I want to read it again.

My 2 sons just raced through the Hunger Games series. They loved it so much that I am going to start reading the series on the plane on Saturday.

I agree with Christine about the "Young Adult" literature. I often read YA lit because I want to know what the kids are reading, and I have found that I really love it! There is some really fantastic literature under the guise of YA lit---and the bonus is that you can usually read it fairly quickly!

I finally got a moment today to look at the boards for than a minute, and THANK YOU ALL!!!!

I want to take some time and really look at these suggestions closely, I am certain there are many things I would enjoy.

I did read the first two books in the Girl with the Dragon tattoo series and do be aware that they are highly graphic and involve very graphic rape scenes. It was more than a bit scary for me.

That said, I love to read. Tell us more about the kinds of books you like, are you a mystery person? how about fantasy? Did you like Harry Potter? The Lord of the Rings was tough slogging, it took me more than a week to get through and I was on an spring vacation.

I'm currently working on writing a dog and his girl story, its like a boy and his dog only different.

What hobbies are you into? (I know thats sort of off topic. . )

Alisha

I think it's awesome you are writing a story, I think it's so fantastic when people have and can express creativity.

Good to know about the Dragon book, thank you for the heads up. Might take a look, but sometimes the really graphic stuff sticks with me for too long. Some of the Tess Gerritsen books were really rough, but I really liked the books.

So here's my history, many years ago I used to read a lot of Patterson type books and another very popular author I can't recall his name, but then when he started churning them out with other writers so quickly, they really started to stink. Then I found Tess Gerristen and loved most of her books, but was bored with the last one I read, I think Bone Garden, and did not finish it, and since then, I have read only books on learning poker or books with stories about poker players. Honestly, books on learning poker are seriously boring and like reading text books for school. I must have read and not finished at least 20 by now.

Really, not a lot of variety in what I have liked/tried, and that seems to be my life in general. I know I don't like most movies that are period pieces, I have not figured out why, so I assume I would not enjoy books that take place too far in the past either. I would like to try to find a book that is more of a story, just an enjoyable read kind of thing, or even something sad with a little funny thrown in is OK.

Not a huge fan of Harry Potter, and never actually saw Lord of the Rings :eek:, but I don't think that's for me.

As far as hobbies, they too are few, I would say finding really good/fun places to eat and trying all sorts of food, and playing poker. I do like to cook too, I'm not a "natural" cook, but I'm a good cook when I have recipes to follow.

It just really dawned on me recently just how 1 track and unadventurous I am, I need some more interests.

Thanks for taking the time to help!

I think you would enjoy Sue Grafton and Janet Evanovich they are both on the humor side Janet more then Sue and both are really good.

OK, I have not thoroughly researched all the books yet, but I picked a few to look at on Amazon, and decided to start with the Spellman Files, it seems pretty light and like it would be a fun read.

I got the hard cover used for 5.45 (very good condition) and it's Prime shipping eligible :D

I just finished The City of Ember Series...it was intended for young adults but the series is sooo good! There are 4 books and book #3 will have you wondering, "Why in the world is this book included?" but stick with it and you'll see! :) Easy read but they had my heart pumping! Couldn't get thru the series fast enough!

I'm reading The Help right now which is hilarious! Just love reading about all the diff women! The movie comes out I believe in August.

My daughter is on book 3 of The Hunger Games and she is staying up til wee hours because she can't put them down. Guess I may be reading them next. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the other suggestions everyone!

I just finished The City of Ember Series...it was intended for young adults but the series is sooo good! There are 4 books and book #3 will have you wondering, "Why in the world is this book included?" but stick with it and you'll see! :) Easy read but they had my heart pumping! Couldn't get thru the series fast enough!

I'm reading The Help right now which is hilarious! Just love reading about all the diff women! The movie comes out I believe in August.

My daughter is on book 3 of The Hunger Games and she is staying up til wee hours because she can't put them down. Guess I may be reading them next. :rolleyes:

Thanks for all the other suggestions everyone!

I just saw an ad for that movie, The Help, that would probably be a very good book, I think I'll get that one too.

I've recently read:

A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving
Room by Ellen Donoghue
They Stooped to Folly by Ellen Glasgow (I'm a little obsessed now; I have two more of her novels and a recent biography of her on my to read list!)

And now I'm reading The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot.

Irving's "Owen Meany"and Stockett's "The Help" are excellent reads, but, and I recently had this seconded gratifyingly by Entertainment Weekly, the book on CD of The Help is bette than reading it on your own. Get it from your local library.

I'm spiling myself rotten by indulging in my favourite author, kate Atkinson. I am listening to the BOCD version of her latest novel "Started early, took my dog." It is the fourth installment featuring her ex-policeman turned PI of very loose sorts Jackson Brodie. Start with "Case Histories" and see if you can figure out how the miltiple narrative threads/cases will eventually come together.

Atkinson is just a fabulous writer.

Also try absolutely anything by Laura Lippman. Her latest novel comes out this week. Can't wait to get my hands on it......

Clare

great post- just read Moloka'i - Alan Brennert-love love love it and passed it around to all the ladies at work also and they did to. It is at the top of my list I laughed out loud and tried not to cry in public it was that good to me:eek:

I love murder mysteries, I love J.D. Robb and her entire In Death series. I also like Mary Higgins Clark and James Patterson :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.