good barbell recommenation

kesid

I need to buy a barbell and weightplates and don't know what to buy and where to buy it from. I would appreciate any recommendations.
Thank you,

Krupa.

This is not top of the line but I've used it for 6 months now and just finished a 3 month STS rotation. Worked fine for me. I consider myself a beginner/intermediate lifter. So if your looking to lift heavier than 70lbs you might want to look at something else.

Amazon.com: barbell us

It's $42 shipped and takes 1" plates

I bought extra weight plates to add on. 2 of these.
Amazon.com: Cap Barbell Free Weights Black Standard Black 1.25-Pounds Plate: Sports & Outdoors

And 2 of these. (The ones I actually bought 'CAP brand' is no longer available, at least on amazon)
Amazon.com: Champion Standard Flat Plate (2-1/2 -Pound): Sports & Outdoors

I also purchased pace weights the 9lb set. They are about $85 shipped. They are expensive but allow you to increase your weight slowly. They won't work on the rubber plates that come with the US Weight set. But will magnetically attach to any metal ones including dumbbells.
http://www.paceweights.com/products/index.htm

Last edited:
I have a 100 lb barbell made by CAP. I purchased it at Dunhams Sporting Goods, I think it was $120, or so. Dunhams often offers 20% coupons. The ends are threaded but to be honest, I've never found it to be a problem. I like it because it holds more weight that the others. I don't consider myself to be and advanced lifter, but while doing STS there were a number of times that I used 80lbs or more. Just something to consider.

I have a 100 lb barbell made by CAP. I purchased it at Dunhams Sporting Goods, I think it was $120, or so. Dunhams often offers 20% coupons. The ends are threaded but to be honest, I've never found it to be a problem. I like it because it holds more weight that the others. I don't consider myself to be and advanced lifter, but while doing STS there were a number of times that I used 80lbs or more. Just something to consider.

I just bought this barbell from Dunham's. I paid $35 for it including my 20% off. I had to check 4 different Dunham's though because 1 store had it but couldn't sell the display even though they had 2 and the other 3 stores had it for $79.99 so there was a price increase, then I went back to the original store and they found one in the back. I really like this set especially for the price.

...Cheryl

I've always wanted the Troy Lite Barbell. But I can't find a local retailer that sells them, and shipping is killer. I just got a basic one at a local sporting goods store. It's been great, and I've had it for 10+ years.

I've always wanted the Troy Lite Barbell. But I can't find a local retailer that sells them, and shipping is killer. I just got a basic one at a local sporting goods store. It's been great, and I've had it for 10+ years.

I did see it online and the cheapest price was at fitness1st, but the shipping is almost $ 50 dollars:(
I hope there was some coupon available that would bring down the cost at least a little....

I have always used standard Olympic bars, plates, and I have a smaller EZ bar too. You'd have to get them at a specialty sporting goods store. They are not what Cathe uses, but they are heavy duty and will last forever. Getting these used is a great idea also, because they really don't wear out. Mine are all used. Craig's List Maybe?

I have always used standard Olympic bars, plates, and I have a smaller EZ bar too. You'd have to get them at a specialty sporting goods store. They are not what Cathe uses, but they are heavy duty and will last forever. Getting these used is a great idea also, because they really don't wear out. Mine are all used. Craig's List Maybe?

I bought my Olympic set at Play it Again Sports for a decent price. You can also check out your local charities that accept sporting goods (some don't) because really - they don't wear out :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.