glutton for punishment

joyce619

Cathlete
Hi Cathe and the educated crowd:

I have been following the recommendations you made for arm definition that you made in that post a few weeks ago.( entire PS series 1x a week one arm exercise) I am seeing results
happy.gif
after only 2 weeks.

I was wondering if I could follow the same method for my legs, too by working the quads, hamstrings and calves. My main goal is to lower my body fat all over and gain muscle.

How would you suggest working this in? I was considering working extra days of both arms and legs. Is this too much? Should I alternate arms one week and legs the next or concentrate on arms for 12weeks then legs for 12weeks? I would like to hear everyone's suggestions
happy.gif

Feeling strong,
Joyce

Here's what I do...

......for what it's worth. I do 2 MIS style upper body workouts per week because I build up pretty easily there, but my legs I really have to work hard because of the genetic makeup of my legs. I do the equivilant (Spelling?) of 2 PS leg workouts per week, because I need to!!!

Everyone is different, and this works for me. I also use heavy weights, 'cause I like to!!! I happen to like the challenge of lifting heavier.
happy.gif
Muscles are cool!!!

Hi Joyce(and New Winter)!

Sorry for the late response.

I'm happy to hear that the advice on arm definition is working well(and so soon)for you.

As for your legs, again, it will involve some trial and error. I find that legs seem to be much more difficult to figure out than upper body. In most cases, they do not seem to respond to weight training as quickly and directly as the upper body does. Sure, you can try the same method as you are now doing with upper body.

Some other ideas:

1) Do an entire leg workout two times per week. One workout with heavier weight and one workout with lighter weight(another option is both workouts heavy, another option is both workouts lighter).

2) Do PS leg tape one time per week and then at least two days later do three leg exercises (that really work the leg area that you want to target)with heavy weight. Do three sets of 10 reps for each of these three exercises.

3) Do PS legs one time per week and then follow up with three exercises as mentioned in #2 but do light weight and hi reps instead. Also do 4 sets of 16 reps for each of the three exercises.

4) Yes, you can try your suggestion of doing PS tapes once per week with an additional focused upper body workout. Then the next week do the PS tapes plus an additional focused lower body workout. I don't think the 12 week plan of all arms then all legs will be effective enough in this case since you state that you want to concentrate on both areas equally.

How to fit all of this in? A suggestion would be to do all PS tapes once each per week(3 total days)and then do one focused upper body part workout on a fourth day that week and a focused lower body part workout on a fifth day that week. You can do these fourth and fifth workouts with a cardio attached to them. Plus add one to two more cardio workouts somewhere in there that same week.

Hope these ideas help. Happy Experimenting!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.