Giving Blood and Exercising

horsing around

Cathlete
When I give blood, they tell me to wait about 24 hours before doing any heavy lifting. I gave blood Tuesday afternoon, then did TurboBarre yesterday. I tried to do Crossfire today but stopped about half-way through it due to feeling light-headed. For anyone that donates, about how long does it take for your body to recover?

I'm 45, so maybe taking me a little longer as I get a little older. :confused:

Thanks!
Lisa

I feel it takes about a week for my energy level to come back after donating blood. Sad that sometimes I worry how donating blood will interfere with my workouts!

I'm also 45 and donate regularly. I try to schedule a weight workout the day I donate (before donation, of course). That way I have time to recover before my next weight workout. I do cardio the day after donation. I haven't really noticed feeling lightheaded or lacking in energy; but then again I haven't tried CrossFire after.:eek: Hydration is super-important. I do take an iron supplement after donating.

Last edited:
Elsie, that sounds like a great idea. I donated last week and was also told to wait 24 hours. I think your plan is a good one.

I think I'd wait to do anything super intense for maybe 3 days. Moderate intensity should be fine.

My person also recommended to start really hydrating a full week ahead of your donation...and to double up on hydration afterwards for a couple of days.

She must not have a long commute.

I donate regularly as well. I think it's every 8 weeks that they call. I try to get my workout for the day in before I go, so I'm good for that day. I normally go on Saturday morning, which is usually a cardio day for me, so lifting isn't really a worry. I normally go from there to the grocery store, so I guess there's some heavy-ish lifting there sometimes.

I think the lifting is for bruising reasons. I find that if I bruise, it's because I got a bad stick, or they didn't hit the vein quite right. Rarely happens, though.

As for cardio endurance, I won't say I notice it too much. I can normally push through and get it done. I'm a bit more tired overall for the next week or so, though. If it's long cardio, say more than a 10 mile run, I do start to feel it.

A lot of it depends on what I eat the day or two after. And a good nap the day of the donation, after the donation, seems to help as well.

But thanks for giving. People sure can use it!!
Nan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.