Girlfriends' Guide to Pregnancy

jujukiser

I am 6 weeks pregnant and I just got this book a few days ago--it's hilarious! But I was very disappointed in the chapter on exercise. Vicki Iovine strongly advocates NOT working out through your pregnancy. She says it's God's way of telling you to take a 9-month break. She also disagreed with all of the popular opinions that working out would help you through labor, etc. I don't have any personal experience since this will be my first baby, but my sister pushed for HOURS and had a 10 1/2 pound baby. She said she owes it all to exercise.

Has anyone else read this book? What did you think?

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-02-01 AT 01:50PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi and congratulations! No I have not read the book but I personally do not agree that one should not exercise while pregnant. If you never exercised before you were pregnant than it may not be wise to take on more than a basic walking program, but if you have always exercised, I think it is perfectly fine and healthy. I am pregnant and I know that if I were to stop exercising now my body would actually become deconditioned, not my idea of a fit and healthy pregnancy. Unless you have certain issues or limitations surrounding your pregnacy in which your doctor has advised against you working out, I fully support working out in moderation throughout your pregnancy all while listening to your body along the way. If at some point you are receiving signals that it is time to slow down or stop then I fully advise listening to these signals and acting accordingly (along with a follow up visit to the doctors).

While I do not think that exercising through your pregnancy can perform miracles on delivery day, I strongly feel that it will help you endure whatever situation you are faced with when that day comes (along with helping you through some of the discomforts associated with pregnancy along the way)! Good luck to you and thank you for posting!

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-01 AT 10:48PM (Est)[/font][p]This is a very funny book, but I would seriously warn you about actually following her advice. She is but one person, and although she has 4 kids, and posed in Playboy, that hardly makes her an authority on pregnancy. Much of the time she hits things entirely on the head, but many others are way off base. My suggestion would be to read her, enjoy her, and follow what you believe to be true. There are lots of sources out there, and they don't all agree, but it is up to you to decide what you need for your body (and baby!).

Sounds like your sister did a great job! Most people who have 10 1/2 pound babies have C-sections. I couldn't tell you if exercise made a difference or not, but she certainly deserves all the admiration she can get!

Congratulations on your new pregnancy. I have read this book and strongly disagree with the chapter on exercise. I think that when writing a book that could potentially influence the behavior of many women, especially during this special time, one should stick with the subject matter that is within their own expertise. Obviously, the author is not up on the latest research regarding exercise and pregnancy. Yes, the book is hilarious, but again I strongly disagree with that chapter. Obviously she overstepped her bounds with this one! OK, I will get off my soapbox now........

Sheila Watkins

Just wanted to add that I also think she was WAY OFF BASE when it came to exercise. I just enjoyed the rest of the book and ignored her exercise info. I personally think that she probably views exercise as a means to stay thin rather than a healthy lifestyle, which is where her views on exercise during pregnancy come from.

Lucy K

Funny, I just read that section yesterday...

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-04-01 AT 03:10PM (Est)[/font][p]at the bookstore, and I was simply appalled at her suggestions regarding exercise during pregnancy. While I'm no expert, I thought she was way off the mark, and I believe that whoever said she probably views exercise as a means to stay thin rather than staying fit was probably correct. I am not continuing to exercise during my pregnancy in an attempt to stave off the inevitable weight gain or become a muscle woman; I am doing it because it makes me feel good and helps replace some of that energy the baby is taking from me right now ;-) It's actually exhilirating for me to exercise for once in my life for the sheer joy of feeling my body move and feeling fit, strong and healthy, rather than to achieve some goal, like weight loss, more muscle tone, upping my weights on the shoulder sections or squeezing out on more toe pushup. While I have always exercised because I enjoy it, I admit that pre-pregnancy I always had a goal, an "ulterior motive", if you will ;-), that I was striving for too. I wouldn't trade my pregnant exercise sessions for anything--they have been a lifesaver and a wonderful, different fitness experience so far!

I'm glad to hear the experts (Sheila and Cathe!) concur with our "gut feelings" on this one. :)

Renae

I loved this book and her book How to Survive the First Year but I disagree with the workout section. I used this time to listen to my body more carefully since I wasn't just taking care of me but also a little one. The nine months told me to take it slower but not to take a break entirely! I wasn't able to workout at the same intensity as my pre-pregnancy state but I don't think I would have survived going into pre-term labor, bedrest (no exercise obviously here), and labor as well as I did had it not been for the shape my body was in. I'm no hardbody by any means but I am in shape and with my first child (5 weeks old today!!) I had 12 minutes of pushing and a healthy sized baby for being a preemie and believe that much of this success to pretty consistent workouts.

So listen to you - and you'll be just fine!!

Lisa

I hated the book!!!! She(Vickie) made me feel as though pregnancy was more of a "fat" experience and as you stated, I too was disappointed in the exercise advice. Do what you feel comfortable doing and follow the recommendations of your MD or nurse practitioner/midwife. Good luck and try to enjoy the nine months!!!!!

I disliked this book

Vicki is NOT a medical professional, nor is she educated in exercise physiology, etc. In other words, she is NOT qualified to make the statement she does about exercise.

Lisa,

I had a preemie this summer! He was born 2 months early and weighed 3lbs, 8oz. He now weighs close to 11lbs.

I agree with what you said about exercising through pregnancy--that was my experience, too.

I only pushed for about 15 minutes and even though it was a short time, it was definitely a tough 15 minutes and I am certain that being in shape helped tremendously. I haven't yet resumed a consistent work out schedule due to being back at work full time and spending time with the baby, but I have managed to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight and I am convinced that this happened for me because I was in great shape before I got pregnant and continued to workout during my pregnancy until I was put on bed rest (my water broke at 28 weeks!)

Hope all is going well for you and your little one!

Kellie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.