getting rid of those bye byes

fablousfifties

hi cathe
i just joined and i want to ask you how i can get rid of my flabby under arms? i have used weights/lost weight/whatever
nothing seems to help. i am going to be 50 in may so i registered as fablousfifties lol, i have thought about lipo suction and getting a tummy tuck, i have lose skin from gaining and losing weight many times help i cannot get it to tighten up no matter what i do, i have lost a total of 34 pounds i am 5ft1 i weigh 135 pounds my legs are really muscular and my arms are to expecially on my shoulders the upper part of my arms look good its the bottom half i hate, when i pull back this loose skin my arms look so much smaller/better what can i do any suggestions please help.
paula

No advice, just wanted to say congrats on the weight loss! Maybe Donna or K60 could jump in here. Please don't get lipo until you hear other suggestions. Again, congrats!!!!

Hello Paula,

Unfortunately, because of your age your skin has lost it's elasticity and it will be difficult to get rid of it unless you have surgery. The fact is that as you get older and your weight fluctuates as much as it has, your skin will have stretched.

Before taking any drastic actions such as surgery, you could do weights to tighten and tone your muscles and this will have a slight effect by tightening the skin as well. But you to get the maximum benefit, you should start a weight program 2-3 times a week and build up your weights gradually by changing the amount you lift every 5-6 weeks. Adding some cardio routine will help you to maintain your ideal weight, thus preventing any further sagging.

Beauty wise, you could you a natural loofah to scrub away the dead skin during a bath or shower and try moisturising your body after as this absorbs moisture into the skin and keep it soft and supple. Use a rich moisturiser like Vaseline Intensive Care.

Hope this helps.

One response below says there's no way, and I agree with her. However, depending on *how* muscular your arms really are, you might have some potential to fill in some of that loose skin with triceps and rear delt area muscle mass, which might look large but so much nicer than *nothing* that's now in that loose area of your skin.

Developing those muscles more, increasing their size, will take a long time to really make them grow appreciably like say one or two years, but before you try surgery why not give heavy weights a try? Slow, heavy weight work in the tri, bi, and all angles of shoulder is a worthy goal and has lots of side benefits. The results are likely to stick with you because they are mental as well as physical. Well, keep us posted on your thoughts and thank you for being a role model for us up-and-coming 50's (I'm 43)!
-Connie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.