Getting Ready for the Weekend Movie Recommendation Thread

I can't think of 3 great movies, unless I go way way back for the third.

So my 2 would be

1. Gran Torino with Clint Eastwood
2. Up (which was already mentioned)

AVATAR!!AVATAR!!AVATAR!! If you want an intensely amazing movie that is visually stunning and will have you thinking about it over and over again- go see it!! It's sooo worth it and will sweep you away!

As far as cozy stay-at-home movie nights I love (for fun & romance and incredible costumes for the latter two.)

The Holiday with Cameron Diaz and Jude Law (major YUM!!)

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days with Kate Hudson & Matthew McC.... super yum also.

Casanova- Heath Ledger super yummy may he rest in peace

Shakespear in Love

For a sexier and uber cool period series that you could spend the entire weekend cuddling up with The Tudors! Hey, I'd spend the weekend cuddling up with Jonathan Rys Meyers ANY time ANY day or night!

I'm a huge fan of watching the Bonus Features and recommend it in all of the above!!

Have a fun night!!

Jonezie - I really want to see The Blind Side, but it'll probably wait until it's out on DVD.

Melissa (Pink Fortitude) - I'm totally getting Zombieland.

Melissa (Mellify) - I've had Shaun of the Dead in and out of my queue twice, I'll have to put it back in. Have you seen Run Fatboy Run?

Tricia - I've also got Moon in my queue. I love Sam Rockwell...he's one of most underrated actors in Hollywood.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring ~ Foreign flick with beautiful scenery. It's the story about the stages of a man's life.

II Postino ~ Another foreign flick

Iris ~ Movie about the author Iris Muroch with Judi Dench and Kate Winslet.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring ~ Foreign flick with beautiful scenery. It's the story about the stages of a man's life.

II Postino ~ Another foreign flick

Iris ~ Movie about the author Iris Muroch with Judi Dench and Kate Winslet.

Hey Lioness! So good to see you, forum friend!

Now that we're talking foreign...Amelie! Amelie!!

I've wanted to see Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter...and Spring for ages, but I kept missing it when it played at the art house theatre here.

II Postino ~ really enjoyed this film.

Has anyone seen " Man on Wire"? It is a documentary film about Pierre Petit, the man who hung a tight wire between the twin towers. Fabulous, fun, film - it is told like a "caper" film. And Pierre is a charismatic character. Did anyone see him accept the oscar for the best foreign film last year? He balanced the statue on his chin (or something like this)

I also recommend The Hurt Locker.

Moon and Zombieland are both at the top of my Netflix queue (as is Inglorious Basterds...I like Quentin, but sometimes it is easier for me to take his violence at home on my smaller screen than in a movie theatre).

What about District 9? Anyone catch that? I thought it was much more thought provoking than I anticipated.

Those are all rentals.

I saw "Avatar" and had a great time, want to see "Sherlock Holmes", and "Up in the Air" and "A single man"- I think I will try to see these films soon.

Has anyone seen " Man on Wire"? It is a documentary film about Pierre Petit, the man who hung a tight wire between the twin towers. Fabulous, fun, film - it is told like a "caper" film. And Pierre is a charismatic character. Did anyone see him accept the oscar for the best foreign film last year? He balanced the statue on his chin (or something like this)

I saw Man on Wire...couldn't wait to get it in the mail (via Netflix) and then found it to be just okay. But it's the kind of movie you are so curious about that you have to see anyway. Like pizza...even bad pizza is ok pizza. This was worth the rental on Netflix.

• Mr. Holland's Opus
  • Fire with Fire
  • Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
  • Kill Bill 2
  • Dirty Dancing (natch!)
  • House of Flying Daggers
  • Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon
  • The Breakfast Club
  • The Wrestler

Clearly, sticking to three is impossible for me.

Last edited:
We are going to see Daybreakers this weekend. Don't have great hopes, but it will probably be entertaining.

I was so impressed with Daybreakers' advertising campaign in Toronto. They took over an abandoned storefront and made it into a old fashioned soda fountain - but the drinks were all with human blood, certified of course. They really went into every detail, and it was brilliant. Then, up where the store sign would be, they had a recruitment ad for Uncle Sam. I have no idea what the movie's about, I'd never heard of it before I saw that storefront, but now I want to see it. They've used that storefront before to advertise movies, but they've never gone so all out, and as someone interested in advertising as an art form, I was blown away by their dedication to detail and perfection.

I have good one... if you like thrillers - "The Perfect Getaway" -recently came out on DVD a couple of weeks ago about a couple on their honeymoon in Hawaii who discover that another couple are suspected of murdering newlyweds. Of course they meet up with two other couples and then....It has a twist ending and you never know who the bad guys are until the end. The way the movie is set up it keeps the audience guessing... great!

Another vote for "District 9". I truly think it is one of the best movies I have ever seen, seemlessly blending science fiction, political thriller and social commentary into one can't-take-my-eyes-away experience.

Also "Inglorious Basterds" - very well done, although I'm not quite sure why Tarantino made it. (It is NOT a history lesson!)

For a lock-yourself-inside-the-house marathon, "Band of Brothers", a 2001 HBO series based on Stephen Ambrose's book of the same title, about the paratroopers from the 101st Airborne Division starting with their training at Currahee, through the D-Day invasion, through the Battle of the Bulge, through the capturing of Hitler's Eagle's Nest. I've yet to see a series that is superior, although "I Claudius" comes close.

And "I Claudius" (BBC 12-part series from the mid '70's) - political intrigue, murder, mayhem, deviant sexual behavior of all stripes . . . tres delish!

A-Jock

Make sure you have the ingredients for a Cosmopolitan!

But, of course, Morningstar! I just watched the Sex and the City episode from Season 2...the one titled "They Shoot Single People, Don't They?" It's the one where Miranda has to fake it because her boyfriend has no idea how the female body works. And then he says {Ahhhh!} "Do you have a physical problem, maybe?" If ONLY I had watched that BEFORE my last boyfriend. I didn't think anyone else had experienced that. But if an entire SintheC episode was created about it, it must be a widespread response.

How did I miss this series when it was on HBO?!?

:)Jonezie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.