Getting motivated

binky2017

Cathlete
Hello All,

I really need some help! For the past couple months I have been really depressed and not exercising religiously like I have in the past. I finally realized that I needed help and went to the doctor. I really want to start to get back to exercising but I can't seem to get off my butt and do it. I'm trying to start slow by exercising twice a week, but I seem to find other things that need to be done around the house. Can someone please help me get motivated? Is there anything else I can do to get me going?

Thanks, Becky

I think you need to set a date with yourself for the times you want to workout. And its a date you can't break! Just do it and get it over with and you will end up feeling better in the end.
There are times all of us don't want to workout and we force ourselves to. They say that if you make it 15 mins into a workout, you will keep going.
In my opinion, once you start working out again, it will be easier for you to keep going. I think you can find 2 hours for yourself in the run of a week. I make that much time for myself a day! Sure there are things that need to be done around the house but if I don't get my workout in, Im not a happy campier!
GOOD LUCK!
Lori
:)

Well Becky everytime I see my stomach I get motivated lol...(seriously) but I dont know...maybe you need a workout buddy...Im sorry to hear you have been feeling depressed...I think we all get like that sometimes. My only advice would be you gotta stay focused on your goals. Im not sure what has you feeling down but maybe surrounding yourself with postive people will help. Talk to someone about how your feeling. I have also found exercise to be a good stress reliever. After I had my son this past December getting back into working out was hard. Those first couple of weeks were a drag so I know where your coming from. My husband helps motivate me. The compliments and encouragement I get from him keeps me going. Hope my 2 cents helped...

Tassha

Are you exercising at home? If so, why don't you try attending some group classes that meet regularly? That way, you have something that's "scheduled" and working out in a group can offer more motivation.

Here's what keeps me motivated. Everybody has a pair of uncomfortably tight pants around. Put them on. Feel how awful it is. Then go stick a Cathe workout into the DVD player, and get to it! :7

In addition to the other suggestions, I always find that a new workout or maybe some new workout "toys" or even clothes (even just a new workout T-shirt from Target) also motivates me. If I have something to look forward to using, it makes it easier to get started with my workout when I'm dragging.

Hope this helps, and I'm glad that you saw your Dr. to get some help, too!:)

Hey Becky, what is your favorite workouts maybe get back to those? Commit to one of the daily check-ins. Put your workout shoes and outfit where you see them if you workout first thing in the morning put them out the night b-4 and put them on in the morning. If you do anything for 21 days it becomes a habit again.

Do you follow rotations? Do you have someone that maybe you could get outside and walk or bikeride with. Neighbor, kids, etc....

beth6395

"You didn't pause your dvd and go make popcorn did ya"
-Cathe Friedrich

http://www.picturetrail.com/juicyfruities2002

Hi Becky,

In addition to the other suggestions, the thought of feeling better and having more energy is usually enough motivation for me. I work out in the morning so if I don't get a workout in I feel so sluggigh and lousy throughout the day that it's enough to make me not miss the next scheduled work out. And if I start missing workouts for weeks on end, forget it, I start feeling really down.

Like someone else said, it's important to set aside a specific time for when you want to get it done. If you just get up in the morning and say you'll get to it eventually, chances are you won't.

Best of luck to you!

Becky - I plan to go out tonight and buy the cutest little bikini I can find. Something I love but wouldn't be caught dead in right now. Then I plan to hang it up in my workout room and work my butt off so that I'm not embarrassed to wear it this summer. That's my way of motivating myself to get off my lazy butt. The sheer horror of imagining myself in a bikini at this moment is enough to motivate me for at least the next 4 months. ;)

Hi Becky-

If its possible for you to get it done first thing in the AM, then schedule yourself to that. That way you won't have to "think" about doing it all day long and run into distractions that will prevent you from doing it later in the day.

Also, I agree with the poster that its good to have some type of "gimmick" to motivate.. a new workout dvd, shoes, or outfit always works for me. Good tunes if you do cardio equipment helps as well.

Lastly, if you can get the workout done first thing, then you get the bonus of enjoying the endorphin kick for longer than somebody who exercises later in the day. That is definitely a bonus!

Take care, Lynn M.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.