gettin over plateaus

hi cathe
i am 49 yrs. old my metabolisim is not
what it once was, i have lost 35 pounds
i do high impact step/cardio 5/6 times a week,
and i walk 3 miles a day during my lunch at work,
i count calories, i have started using 2 pound hand weights
one day and the next 2 pound ancle weights during my walk.
i would just like to know what else can i do to loose
this last 15 pounds? newcomer here.
paula

RE: I'm Not Cathe But . . .

Hi, Paula! Welcome! You'll find on Cathe's forums that we all like to chip in our 2 cents to any question, as well as spend your money for you by suggesting more Cathe workouts to buy!

From what you've described, I think your best next step is to begin implementing a good, progressive total-body strength program for all of the major muscle groups. Strong substantial muscles are important in so many ways: they improve your cardio performance and enable you to work at a higher intensity level; muscle tissue is metabolically active, so you burn fuel more efficiently and effectively; and they provide you with energy from the inside out not only for your workouts but also for your daily living. Further, weighted strength training helps you maintain good bone density.

Cathe has numerous workouts exclusively dedicated to strength training: Maximum Intensity Strength (MIS); Power Hour; the Pure Strength 3-workout split set series; the Slow And Heavy 3- workout split set series; and the Cross-Train Express (CTX) 6-workout series, 5 workouts of which include a cardio workout and targeted strength training for 1-2 muscle groups and the 6th of which, "Leaner Legs", is dedicated to leg strengthening and definition. All very high-quality workouts!

Couple of caveats: building lean muscle mass is very important, but your bathroom scale may only tell you you haven't "lost weight". Take the bathroom scale stuff with a big-time grain of salt! Also, you mentioned that you use ankle weights for some of your walks - I think that is unsafe, especially for your knees and lower back because the increased weight at the end of the leg can alter your gait so much.

Whew! If that's Aquajock's 2 cents, how long is a dollar's worth of response?!

WELCOME TO THE GANG!

Annette
:):):):)

Hi!

Annette has said it all. Training with weights is the answer. See her message for details, no need for me to repeat them here.

But I will add my encouragement to and for you along with hers: welcome! And my testimony: Six weeks ago Annette told me much the same advice, although my question was "how do I get more energy?" And she was right. In those last six weeks, working out twice a week with Power Hour and MIS --and I can't yet use the weight load Cathe and I am sure Annette use-- I am seeing wonderful results in my energy levels (which allowed me to take my cardio workouts up a real notch), also to my strength (of course!!!), and to my definition (I can see hips, abs I hadn't had since pregnancy 8 years ago, I go in at the waist again).

So, cut down the cardio by two sessions, stick in two total body strength training sessions and wait for the results to come in! Ignore the scales, ditch them right now --muscle weighs more than fat--, look for the spare inch in the jeans.

Clare

This is only to add "testimonial" to what the others so eloquently said! Weight training is the key. I have struggled to maintain a "good" weight all my life and, as I got into early 40's found it just could not be done,i.e. I could not eat little enough or run far enough to keep the pounds from creeping on. Then I discovered weight training. I am now almost 47 and I feel like I have discovered a wonderful secret or something. I look better (at least in MY opinion) than I have in at least 20 years or so and feel great, clothes fit me better, etc.

When you first start out,be patient if you are not used to doing weight training and haven't been doing it. Cathe's tapes are a great way to learn, just start with lower weights and you'll quickly get there. Also, takes a while to really start showing and for you to really notice that your metabolism is up but it will happen!. Good luck.

hi all
i want to thank you all for youre help,
it all sounds good,
but i am worried about putting on to much muscle,
i am already pretty much muscular lucky i guess,
or maybe because i have been working out for 18 yrs. now
lost and gained weight many times but this time is the most
weight i ever had to loose.
i am 5ft tall i now weigh 130 pounds have small bones
but have pretty muscular legs and arms already,
expecially my shoulders, and i am very narrow shouldered to
so any muscle that goes to my arms really shows.
how much weight do you think i should start out with
i do try and use 3to5 pound weights with more reps
does that sound good? thats why i was trying to loose 15 more pounds before i start with heavier weights.
any suggestions
paula

Paula:

You don't describe the nature of your cardio sessions: are they always the same, steady state, medium intensity work outs? Do you ever vary the nature of your cardio workouts? If you have been doing step and walking for years, then you have a good level of fitness, but you no longer see results because your body is totally used to the demands these forms of exercise make upon it. Sounds like it is time to get into some interval training and experiment with other forms of cardio exercise. Cathe has one of the most demanding Interval tapes out there: Interval Max. This sort of exercise program done twice a week will jolt your system, helps burn more total calories, and improves your overall fitness level. Two such sessions per week could work for you. Because interval max is very tough, you have to work up to it. Other interval videos that I have used and that are more do-able in the short term are Reebok's Intense Moves with Ginn Miller and karen Voight's Energy Sprint, both of which you can get from Collage Video and maybe some stores too.

Variety is the key here. Keep a step workout, some walking, add 2 interval wokouts, include Cathe's Power Hour and MIS once a week each, and you can take the weights as high as you can while still maintaining form (these workouts focus on lighter weights, higher reps for lean muscles, so maybe avoid Cathe's Slow & heavy for now). Try a kick box workout, a dance class, whatever moves you, but keep mixing it up.

Cathe has a series called the Xtrain Express which provides tons of variety, maybe you could pre-view that on this site and see if it is for you?

Hope some of this helps

Clare

My two cents. I agree with everything posted. About your question about putting on too much muscle mass - many reps with light weights will tone, and tighten. Slow reps with heavy weights add mass.

I am 4'11'' and a classic hourglass. I don't like muscle mass but since I added weight training I have strength, my muscles are toned - I am getting definition and I look better than I did in my 20's (I'm 42). I am a 4 petite now - when I got married I was a 10 - 12.

Don't worry about bulking - you have to lift very heavy for long periods of time. This is what I do - I have a strength rotation where I use MIS and P/S - I use moderate to heavy - I don't go nearly as heavy as Cathe. I go as high as 12 - 15lbs - this works for me - if I went heavier I would begin to put on mass. I don't use any weights for lower body - I bulk - Then after 3 or so weeks (depending on how I feel) I go for a light, defition type rotation - I am currently using a pyrmaid routine with light weights - I have just purchased the Cathe Power hour video - this is an endurance workout using lighter weights. I also am working in Circuit Max which is a wonderful cardio/light weight routine.

If you weight train total body 2x a week you won't bulk - Once you get to a weight level where you are happy with the way you look, you can just maintain by not raising your weights -

Hope I helped - it's true - we all love to put in our two cents and help out - I have received great advise from all on this board as well as Cathe! This is great forum.

Hi Paula! You have already received wonderful advice so I just want to wish you lots of luck. One thing I do want to point out for your safety though is that it is not a good idea to walk with ankle weights on. This puts unnecessary strain on your knee joints as the weights alters your natural gait and can get in the way of how your knee tracks at the joint. Take Care!

thank you cathe
you are probly right about the ancle weights.

there is something i would like to share,
i went to one of those web sites for bmi
weight/height i couldnt beleive it they said
i was over weight by the goverment standards,
height 5ft weight 131, what do you think of this?
i am smalled boned but pretty muscular. small frame.
paula

RE: Ignore BMI height/weight charts

Paula, you hit the nail on the head when you observed that you are very muscular. The BMI charts do not make any distinction between weight that is muscle and weight that is storage fat. If you are really wanting to get more detailed info, have a body composition analysis done by a qualified personal trainer using calipers or more sophisticated equipment. And put THOSE numbers in context too; also get readings on what your blood pressure and resting heart rates are - my guess is you're a lot healthier than you give yourself credit for.

Annette

Those gov't standards don't take into account how much MUSCLE a person has.

They use a basic formula which is only an estimate and doesn't account for muscle mass or fat mass.If you are muscular, you can weigh more and actually have a a body fat percentage in a normal range.

I would not suggest relying on the BMI as an indicator if your overall fitness or health.

all things in moderation :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.