Garmin Forerunner

morningstar

Cathlete
Does anyone have any of the Garmin Forerunners? If so, how'd you like it? What's good or bad about it? I was thinking of getting one for running.

Thanks!

We do! We do! I posted a while back wondering if I should get 305 or the heavily advertised newer 405. After researching reviews (and cost!), I bought the 305 and haven't regretted it since. It is a little bulkier than the 405 and not as slick looking, but I had heard of so many issues with 405 bevel sensitivity and water issues, and the 305 just seemed more "proven".

It works beautifully - awesome features, accurate. And..half the price of the 405. Think we got ours from Amazon for around 160.00.

Heidi

I agree with Heidi's post. I also have the 305 and LOVE it! I do a lot of trail running and love the GPS so I can know how many miles I have run, as most trails where I live are not marked. The only bad thing to me is the bulk of the watch, but I got used to it...:)...I sure would not run without my Garmin!

Having graduated from the Forerunner 201 to the 305, the 305 seems quite sleek! And, I love that the HRM is built in since I previously wore two gadgets! Plus, the downloadable data provides excellent feedback. I doubt you'd be disappointed if you purchase the 305.

I have the 301 and I love it. I use it when I bike, run or walk. I've even used it for roller blading. I love it. It is a little bulky but I got use to it.

Joanne

Having graduated from the Forerunner 201 to the 305, the 305 seems quite sleek! And, I love that the HRM is built in since I previously wore two gadgets! Plus, the downloadable data provides excellent feedback. I doubt you'd be disappointed if you purchase the 305.

I have the 305 and love it - but I have to wear a chest strap to get a HR. Did I miss something?

Have the 305 and had the 405 for all of a month. The 305 is way better but and I so knew this was going to happen with all the mixed reviews that the 405 was having., It seems like I was not the only one with bezel issues. I mean the 405 was a nice watch if I could get it to work as good as the 305. I found that I was spending more time fiddling with the thing than actually running. My biggest beef with the 305 was the bulkiness. I mean the thing is bulky and I so wanted a watch that would function as a regular watch. With that said I just found out that they are coming out with the FR60. https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=27483 and the 310 https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=27335#specsTab.
I will definitely be getting one or the other. Slim, sleeker, I'm opting more for the 310 because it does it all, (meant for triatheletes) except measure distance on a treadmill (you have to pay extra for the foot pod). Basically I love my 305 but I'm holding out for something I can wear on a daily basis as a watch and not a brick. With all that said. I could not live without my Garmin.

ever had that uncomfortable problem?

Gear acquisition syndrome? AKA GAS. I have it now. A new item to add to my wish list. :p

Just got mine for my 1/2 marathon training. I used in for a couple weeks before finding out I was pregnant with twins,...and for medical reasons (spotting) have to give up running this season.....with twins along the way, not sure if I'll be doing any heavy running for a couple more years. I really liked it though!

I really like it alot. I have all the training books & even the box it came in. Send me an e-mail @ [email protected] if you maybe interested in purchasing....

305 rocks

I have used the 305 while training for a half marathon and now will do a 20 k next weekend. Really motivating to look at my pace in real time and think "I can kick it up a notch" or "hold back, it's early". I had previously been using the Nike Plus system to track my miles but even with calibration it was horribly inaccurate. The 305 may be bulky, but it's a great system (and you can purchase an optional biking computer for it too!)
julie
(congrats on expecting twins Melanie :D )

I have the 305 and love it - but I have to wear a chest strap to get a HR. Did I miss something?

Cindi, you didn't miss anything. :) The 201 doesn't have the capability to read a HR strap, so toughYrun had to have the 201 AND a Polar or other HRM. You still have to wear a chest strap to get HR with the Garmin models.

janie1234, I also have the 305 and the 405. I use the 305 outside and the 405 inside mostly. Sometimes I do use the 405 outside, too. I was hoping to use the 405 as a regular watch, but it really is too bulky for such. I have my eye on both the 310 and the 60, too. The 60 looks worlds away better than their similar 50 model (which I have and don't like very much). Retail will only be $130 for the watch with HRM, so I'm likely going to get a 60 as soon as I can. I also did a New Leaf fitness assessment which gives me a file to load into my Garmin units to get accurate calorie counts based on me. I'll probably get a 310, too, since it's water-proof and looks like it'll be a better all-around unit. If I'm right, the 305 and 405 will be left as back-ups or sold.

But to the OP, the 305 is probably the best unit out there right now and at $160, you can't beat the price for all it does. I highly recommend it. If you do treadmill running, you might look into getting a foot pod, too.

April

Oh, those are just the fitness ones. I've owned at least one of every Garmin Forerunner model. Let's not go into the non-fitness Garmin GPS units my husband and I own. ;) Let's just say I have a fair knowledge of how they work and what the features are. :cool:

Some people collect stamps...this is what I do. LOL.

April

I have the basic forerunner 101. It was only $100 and I love it. It does what I need it to do. I can see how fast I am running, how far I am running and a bunch of other stuff (set it for "return home", to guide you back to starting point when you are running in unfamiliar areas, etc.).

It is a different shape than the more expensive ones (the higher number ones are more like a large watch). Mine is a little bigger and more of a square ovalish shape.

I love it for my outdoor runs. It helps me set a pace and keep it. I use it for sprints and also races. Good luck with your selection!!
Jenn

Cindi, you didn't miss anything. :) The 201 doesn't have the capability to read a HR strap, so toughYrun had to have the 201 AND a Polar or other HRM. You still have to wear a chest strap to get HR with the Garmin models.

janie1234, I also have the 305 and the 405. I use the 305 outside and the 405 inside mostly. Sometimes I do use the 405 outside, too. I was hoping to use the 405 as a regular watch, but it really is too bulky for such. I have my eye on both the 310 and the 60, too. The 60 looks worlds away better than their similar 50 model (which I have and don't like very much). Retail will only be $130 for the watch with HRM, so I'm likely going to get a 60 as soon as I can. I also did a New Leaf fitness assessment which gives me a file to load into my Garmin units to get accurate calorie counts based on me. I'll probably get a 310, too, since it's water-proof and looks like it'll be a better all-around unit. If I'm right, the 305 and 405 will be left as back-ups or sold.

But to the OP, the 305 is probably the best unit out there right now and at $160, you can't beat the price for all it does. I highly recommend it. If you do treadmill running, you might look into getting a foot pod, too.

April

I know, . . it is soo hard to choose. I may buy both too and just return which ever is better. I love the tri athele components of the 310 it just seem more versatile, but I think when you have that many functions they just don't have the technology to make it as small as the 60. They probably will eventually though. I bet it will have some sort of tracking device on it. Maybe even have some sort of teleportation device???

Love my garmin

I love, love, love my Garmin 305. I have very small wrists, so I have to put the gps on the inside of my wrist or it hurts my bones, but other than that, it's great. I hardly notice it. The only problem I have is that sometimes it takes awhile to find the satellite. I run marathons, so I combat the satellite problem by turning it on while I take a 5-10 minute warm up walk. By the time I get ready to start running, it's ready to go. The calorie counter is pretty accurate. It usually matches my go wear fit within a few calories. The tracking is pretty accurate in reference to mileage markers, but the pace jumps around a lot. On one screen, it says I'm doing 9 min miles, the next screen says 10 min miles. Nothing is perfect, but it gives you a great idea of what you're doing and when you've improved. I don't run without it.

I got this from Amazon, if anybody is interested...As someone who has shopped for sporting goods at Amazon.com, you might be interested in getting a Garmin Forerunner 50 sports watch for free when you purchase a Garmin Forerunner 405 GPS-enabled watch--a $106.65 retail value.

Get your workouts back on track with the Garmin Forerunner series. Keep one for yourself and give the other away--or keep them both! But hurry--this offer ends June 30, while supplies last.
Restrictions apply.

Get a free Forerunner 50 today

I love my 305. my monitor prior to this was polar 625x. garmin has a lot more features that I make use of. most importantly, I love the ability to recharge it, the size of the screen (I thought it would have been too big but it is perfect), and the ability customize which information is displayed on the screen.

one thing that was missing for me out of the box was the ability track miles indoors on a treadmill. for that I bought the foot pod (it still cannot track miles on an elliptical though). the only other thing that I am not 100% happy with is that the chest strap is a bit big for me even at its shortest length.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.