Gaining weight, NOT starving, helped female Olympian! I love it!

Govtgirl

Cathlete
Finally, a story about a strong woman that gained 10 pounds and is not being raked over the coals for it. You really should read this story (it's short) about skater Tanith Belbin, who gained 10 pounds on purpose and is happy about it! Here's a snippet, and the link below.
“I thought I was out of control and that the weight gain must be my fault,” she said. “I was like, I’m eating nothing and I’m still not losing weight. I swear, I’m not eating anything and I’m exhausted and cranky and stressed and all of those things that make you gain weight even more.”
With (her coach's) help, Belbin changed her eating and training habits. She grew stronger, allowing curves and muscles to be a part of her body. Agosto said that their lifts have improved, as Belbin can hold herself up more easily.

http://sports.yahoo.com/olympics/va...-has-put-on-weight-and-she-cou?urn=oly,220122

Wow! She's beautiful. Love the red skates, too. Every girl needs some red shoes, or two or three pairs.

With muscle weight come strength and power. I bet those 10 lbs she put on were muscle, not flab. 'Cause I'm not seeing any flab. Good for her!!!! Toothpick is not always the best way to go. Good examples. I know many young girls watch figure skating, and that is a wonderful example,

Nan

She's pretty compact. I'd hate to see her before the ten pound gain. She probably would have been sucked up by an errant Zamboni ;)

I'm still confused on how she thinks not eating makes you gain weight. Her statement made it sound like she still saw herself as fat back then. Especially since she said she felt the weight gain was her fault. She wasn't gaining weight. She was a skeleton. I remember what she looked like. Sounds like her perception is still distorted. I hope they got her some real help - therapy, counseling etc... Years of a bad body image do not go away overnight.

Last edited:
I heard that about Picabo Street also. Her racing weight was 171. She dieted down to 140 and started losing all of her races. She had to go back to the 170's to start winning again. Hopefully these strong women will help our society learn that it is about being strong and powerful, not just thin.

She's still very thin - 5'6" and 115 pounds according to the olympics site.

I agree with Liann - body image seems off.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.