Full-body Pushups....

Rosekitty, first of all I appreciated your post also, you ought to post more often as you definitely have some wisdom to share. Your realization that you have been given a gift is something I wish we could all realize every day. We'll do our best to keep encouraging you, the strength will definitely return and you will be stronger than ever.

Janice, I hesitate posting stats here of what I can do because we are all made so differently and each gifted in various areas and I hate the competition that can sometimes go on. But, I will admit that when I have read some stats from others this has motivated me to push on and try harder. (I still remember K60's post regarding bicep curls with 20# dumbbells, I believe like 3 sets of 20 on each arm - this one still has me pushing.) I believe based on how you've described yourself before you could put me to shame in heavy lifting. You sound very muscular. This being said, I can probably do about 50 pushups currently on a good day, when I've had sleep, the correct protein ratio the prior day, the right music and the wind blowing from the correct direction. Sometimes I can push out a few more and sometimes I drop at 40. I push hard to see what I can do the first set, then usually drop a few the second set and a few more the third set. I was trying to do 120 (3 sets of 40) a day, but haven't done that in a few weeks. My latest challenge is pull ups, bugs me to death that I can't do these. I've done one or two on a good day, but want desparately to be able to do 8-10. Anyone have suggestions for these??? Also, I need to add that what rosekitty said is probably very true, my build is made for pushups, I'm #102 pounds, 5'2 and a half, my legs are on the short side. So this is all quite possibly to my advantage, although I'd love to think that I've built a little strength in the arms. I did hate pushups about 6 months ago and could hardly do 12. I used to repeat "I hate pushups" over and over while doing them and began to change this to saying "I love pushups" a few months ago. Amazing how this changed my ability to keep pushing. Anyway, I'm rambling hope this helped and rosekitty....keep posting!!!

Briee

Hi Janice and Briee,
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Briee - Just because your build is suited to pushups, doesn't mean that the huge amount of effort you have obviously put into them was wasted. You have clearly made tremendous strides in that department, and should be bursting with pride.
Pull ups are really hard!

RE: Pushups - now problem but pullups

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-02 AT 00:32AM (Est)[/font][p]EDIT to say no problem, not now problem but it didn't take.

Briee, my situation is about identical to yours except that I am 5'6" and perhaps 135#. I can get down and wop out 40 or 50 pushups on a good day and then will continue to doing sets of 10 or 15 til I reach 100 or so. Every now and again, I will go on a pushup marathon just to see if I can still do it.

However, full body pullups are hard. Like you, I am lucky if I can do 2 with good form. I find that the underhand grip is a tad easier than the overhand one but wow, they seriously kick my ego. My date will help me to do assisted ones and I can get quite a few more of those out but I need to work on the unassisted ones. A lot of people find pullups hard to do and if a person can get 8 of them out, I think that is a good accomplishment.

I think one of the ways to get better at pullups is do pullups. I have also been going a bit heavier on my back workouts hoping that will help. I guess I have a new challenge. :)

Kim

Another thing to keep in mind is that with push-ups, as opposed to supine bench presses, far greater demands are placed on the core and leg muscles to keep you in a static flat position. When I do them, I seriously feel it from my neck down to my toes, and especially in the hip flexors (including the quadriceps femoris) and the front shin muscles. It's easy to underestimate how hard the entire body is working, not just the pecs, tris and anterior delts (all of which are recruited for the motive part of the push-ups), AND it's easy to quickly become oxygen-depleted during them. To me, that's what so different about push-ups as opposed to bench presses.

There was a great training suggestion several months ago here on the Open Discussion forum that advocated progressive overload, and suggested for newbie push-uppers to start in a straight leg position with your hands on a table-top; then advance to having your hands on the seat of a sturdy, stabilized chair; then advance to doing them with your hands on your step bench; then hands on the floor. MY own little addition to that is: once you've gotten accustomed to that last, place your TOES on the step bench!

Other suggestions: do little mini-sets of push-ups as several other contributors to this thread have noted, and vary the width of your hand placement, wider and narrower. The wider your hand placement, the more your pec muscles will be recruited; the narrower, the more your tris will be recruited. Plus it keeps things interesting.

A-jock

oh my God Briee do I hear you! HA HA. I actually structure my weight workouts around my tae kwon do classes so that I never work my chest the day before a class becasue I NEED to be able to do the pushups just in case! I never want to be the one who has to quit and then the whole class has to start over because of me! I accidentally did work my chest the day before a class the other day because we hadn't been doing pushups lately, and sure enough we did them and I literally fell on my face after about 55-60 and they were NOT looking good after about 30 of them.

So ladies it sounds like what you need is a big scary black belt instructor standing over you yelling at you! ;o)

Briee..

You are my idol (Well, you and Annette, of course:)

Seriously, all you gals ROCK on here. I can only hope to kick my butt in gear enough to be able to do 40. Rosie...you are very knowlegeable and I DO hope you keep posting!! I think everyone is right with the motto "the only way to get better at push ups is to do push ups" the full body kind!!! Same applies to pull ups I believe.

Annette.. I was refferring to that thread but looked and did not see it. However, I have been doing my push ups on an elevated step and that has not seemed to help either. I think I am fully going to the floor and I am just going to crank em' out....

You guys are great..

And, Briee....sounds like you put ME to shame!! You go girl!!

Janice

Janice, you really are encouraging, had a tough day and your post was a lift.

Now for a reality check, I did Upper body CTX this morning (I am beginning to hate this tape, if that is possible) and came to the push up section on chest work. All I could think was "is this the same body that could do 50 pushups". I hit the carpet after the second set of "half way down, all the way down, half way up......" Now granted I ate very little protein yesterday and the wind was blowing from the south instead of the east, but man did I cave. I'm sure you know we all have our cr*p days and this was one of them. I absolutely hate endurance work and put it in because I "have to" and for that reason alone. Give me S&H or pyramids and I'm on a tropical island.

Also, to add, your mentioning me in the same post let alone the same sentence as Annette was an incredible honor that I shall eternally cherish. This is like comparing a drip in the faucet to Niagara Falls (with me being the drip, of course).

Those pushups will come Janice and we will cheer you on!!!! :-jumpy

Briee

corybuggJanice,
I also am having a terrible time trying to do push ups i am 5 feet 11 and i think my arms are to long so i have alot of distance to move my frame. Your coment really made me think about that. So i guess i just have to just keep trying. I think once i have the planks mastered the push ups will be easier. Great info. corybugg.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.