frustrated with my runs because of being anemic

runfree

Cathlete
Has any of you been anemic? It had affected my runs breathing wise and it is taking forever . I was diagnosed in march and still have days that I have to run/walk. I want to do a 15k in November and don't want to have to walk any of it. I just want to feel good running again like i use to. I had days where i felt like i could just run forever.

Last edited:
Hey Runfree:

please give yourself a break. Your recovery is taking longer than you wanted, but there must be reasons for that. It doesn't look like running the whole course is a viable option for you in November. Maybe a 5K, yes, but not a 15k. Give yourself a break here: physically and emotionally. Don't beat yourself up for what your body cannot physically do, even though your mind wants to brow beat the body into it. It simply cannot happen right now. Runners can be their own worst enemy sometimes, right?

Let this one go, say goodbye to it, and refocus on getting better with a goal for spring. Be nice to yourself, OK?

Wishing you all the best,

Clare

I just (3 weeks ago) got diagnosed with being iron deficient (no iron stores/reserves) but not anemic. My blood counts were good, my reserve tank was empty. I can tell you I understand. I felt like crap for about 8 months before I finally gave up and went to the doctor. I thought it was stress, work, the weather, not wearing my foil hat to keep the aliens out :p. It was so nondescript that I was avoiding the doc to not look nutty.

At any rate, he put me on high dose (2x a day) iron, along with my regular multivitamin, and in a couple days the fog and tiredness started to lift, and now after about 3 weeks I feel 200% better. It's freaking amazing!!!

I'm in the middle of marathon training, and prior to this, there were times when I wanted to sit and cry a mile in because I was just so worn out, and it was so hard.

Since then, I've googled anemia in runners, anemia in female runners,iron and runners, and variations on it. I've come up with several reliable sites/studies that all give the same thing. It's NOT uncommon. Something like 30% of female runners have iron issues. And the further/more you run, the worse it is. There is also something calls footstrike hemoslysis (SP?) where every time your foot hits the ground, especially if you're heavier, you squish a few blood cells into oblivion. That, on top of the general higher blood volume that runners have, being female, and the constant break down/repair of muscles (requires blood) in athletes, sets us up for iron issues.

I wouldn't just take iron supplements without visiting your doc, as they can be harmful if you take too much. if you haven't already, get into the doc and the lab. Make sure it's really and iron issue, as iron issues/anemia can look like a lot of other things, and vice versa, and get the doc to get you back on track to where you need to be.

Incidentally, I'm also a regular, every 8 week, blood donor, which was not helping either. My doc wants me to continue to run for health/fitness, and donate blood as there aren't enough donors, even as I continue to work on bringing my iron counts up. He understands that I'm marathon training and am not planning on quitting. I go back at the beginning of October for another blood test, and the following week back to the doc. He said I'd probably start to feel better and we'd know it was working before I even went back. And he was right.

So, get to the doc!!! There's no reason you can't do what you want to do. If funds/insurance are an issue, ask for a self pay/uninsured discount, it should run about 15-50% depending on where you live. Or ask if you can pay cash, that should get you a discount as well. It costs them money to take credit cards. I work in medical revenue cycle, so trust me on that one.

Good Luck!!

Nan

Thanks for the replies I appreciate all your help. I had already registered for the 15 K so I plan on doing it. And the doctor is the one that suggested I take iron supplements after having a blood test done. I do fine on some days but some days I struggle. I just can't wait to feel that again when I run. I know I may have to walk some of the 15 K . I have 10 weeks to prepare. Thanks again for all your suggestions

Good luck!!! If it's just here and there days, maybe it's nutrition or work stress? Who knows. I sincerely hope you find the solution, because I know it sucks.

Nan

Good luck Runfree and Question for Nan

Hi Runfree and Nan (question for you Nan)!

Hope I'm not highjacking this thread AND good luck on your 15k marathon Runfree! I hope your taking some supplements to get you back on track. I also have very low iron stores. I have dealt with fatigue issues for so long that I can't really tell the difference with this problem. However, it just could be I have forgotten what it feels like to be in top form. :confused: Nan, I would love to know the exact name of the supplement you're taking? And is it over the counter or prescription? I have tried taking over the counter supps in the past but they always gave me constipation. No fun! lol! Would also like to know if you have any side effects like that from them? Thanks for your help.

Equaline (Jewel brand) Ferrous Sulfate Iron Supplement Therapy. 325 mg Ferrous Sulfate. It's the store brand for Feosol. It's by the vitamins at the grocery store. I can't recall how much it was, but I know it was less than $10 for a bottle of 250, and they had buy one get one free. I haven't had any issues with it. I take one with breakfast and one with dinner. Doc said not to take it on an empty stomach as it may cause stomach upset, so I eat with it.

He said I could do Ferrous Sulfate, Ferrous Gluconate, or Ferrous Fumarate. The Sulfate has the most gastrointestinal side effects, but is the cheapest. So I started with that and haven't had any issues.

Check with your doc first, though. Too much iron isn't good for you, either. It can mess with your liver.

Nan

Hi Runfree and Nan (question for you Nan)!

Hope I'm not highjacking this thread AND good luck on your 15k marathon Runfree! I hope your taking some supplements to get you back on track. I also have very low iron stores. I have dealt with fatigue issues for so long that I can't really tell the difference with this problem. However, it just could be I have forgotten what it feels like to be in top form. :confused: Nan, I would love to know the exact name of the supplement you're taking? And is it over the counter or prescription? I have tried taking over the counter supps in the past but they always gave me constipation. No fun! lol! Would also like to know if you have any side effects like that from them? Thanks for your help.

I did not know about the anemia in runners/athletes. I had heard some of my friends had it, but I didn't put it together with the activity. I listen to a podcast and the host said that he did better with a little meat in his diet, he had been a vegan for a couple of years and noticed that his stamina took a dive. Maybe a little grass fed organic beef might help you.

What little I know about anemia is that for us ladies it can rear its ugly little head if our periods are heavy. So, you might look there for an answer.

I hope you are feeling better soon.

Btw, iron tablets can give a person constipation so be aware of that.

Thanks so much, Nan! I really appreciate your quick and detailed reply! That helps alot. Funny enough I'm seeing my doc tomorrow and will definitely ask her. I also will be getting a blood test to see if the superfoods I'm taking for this is at all effective. I'm taking Spirulina (supposed to be VERY high in iron and protein) and kale (also high in iron) with vitamin C (to absorb the iron) in my green smoothies each morning. I'm hoping this is doing the trick but will know difinitively with the test. I prefer to go the superfoods route before I need to start using isolated vitamins. But if I need to add them in it's worth it to me! So thanks again. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.