Frustrated - can anyone help?

rnswsizzors

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (well if you don't count lurking for the past 5 years) but I'm posting out of sheer frustration. I know this isn't going to be the most original post but here it goes. I'm between 5'2 and 5'3 and 125lbs which is by no means overweight . . and in a different body type would probably look awesome. But I'm pear shaped and small framed and about 30-40% of my weight is above the waist (slender, pretty good muscle definition can see a 4 pack) while below the waist i'm a complete disaster. it's like i'm another person. i'm talking jiggly, saddle bag, cellulite, lumpy, fat thighs with like 50-60% of my weight being between my waist and knees. now i know i will always be curvy and i'm at peace with that. i also accept that even with my small frame i'm not that far from my ideal weight but looking in the mirror i know that this is not my ideal body . . but I can't seem to do anything about it.

I eat 1200-1500 calories a day with a cheat meal (or two) during the week, don't drink anything but water and about a cup and a half of 1% milk a day, almost never eat junk food (cook most of my meals . .except the cheat ones) am on my feet most of the day because i'm an emergency medicine resident, exercise 6 days a week (mix of intervals, weights and circuits) BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK! i really don't know what i'm doing wrong . . and the worst thing is that as i get older i am slowly putting on weight . . . i just don't know what to do. i feel like i've taken all of the advice i've gotten from forums and websites like this over the years and modified so many aspects of my life and while i'm certainly stronger, fitter and have more (upper body) muscle definition the lower body won't budge and i feel like my body doesn't reflect all off the hard work i put into it. anyone have any words of wisdom/advice? i don't want to look like a model . .well maybe a fitness model . . but i digress . . i just don't want my thighs to rub together and jiggle so much anymore. thanks

Hi.

I don't know what kind of work outs you do. It might be helpful to post a typical sample week of work outs to allow us to see how much and what kind of cardio and weight work you get in every week.

You can try working your lower body 3x per week. You should check out the rotation forum for ideas or for a rotation to follow. Both Cathe and Fitness Freak have posted a few lower body focused rotations that get tons of great reviews.

Your calorie intake seems low to me and not eating enough can definitely hurt your efforts. Perhaps you should consider upping your calorie intake my a 100-200 calories a day and see what happens. Play with it and you may be surprised at what will work. I am 5'3" and range from 127-130 pounds so I am not far from your stats and most of the time I am left feeling hungry at 1500 calories so I usually eat between 1700-1800 and even up to 2000 calories a day. Google websites that can help you figure out your required calorie intake to maintain your weight. Then if you are looking to lose you can adjust the number to create a deficit. Just be careful not to lower it TOO much. There are quite a few websites out there like this and most folks find them to be helpful.

HTH a bit.:)

Last edited:
ITA with Wendy!!!!! The ONLY way I could change the shape & lower my BF below the waist is by working legs very differently than the norm...As said..Cathe & FitnessFreak have some fabulous lower rotations....Do them for 2 months solid - keep eating pretty clean and I bet you'll be back reporting AMAZING results!
http://www.cathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=248988
The above link is Cathe Rotations since the beginning of time...Scroll to original post for the links & descriptors

Below are 2 of Debbies FINEST lower focused rotations
Leg Blast Rotation:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/...d.php?t=236655

Sept. 08 Leg Blast Rotation:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/...25#post1741525

Hope it helps...Hang in there!

Hi.

I don't know what kind of work outs you do. It might be helpful to post a typical sample week of work outs to allow us to see how much and what kind of cardio and weight work you get in every week.

You can try working your lower body 3x per week. You should check out the rotation forum for ideas or for a rotation to follow. Both Cathe and Fitness Freak have posted a few lower body focused rotations that get tons of great reviews.

Your calorie intake seems low to me and not eating enough can definitely hurt your efforts. Perhaps you should consider upping your calorie intake my a 100-200 calories a day and see what happens. Play with it and you may be surprised at what will work. I am 5'3" and range from 127-130 pounds so I am not far from your stats and most of the time I am left feeling hungry at 1500 calories so I usually eat between 1700-1800 and even up to 2000 calories a day. Google websites that can help you figure out your required calorie intake to maintain your weight. Then if you are looking to lose you can adjust the number to create a deficit. Just be careful not to lower it TOO much. There are quite a few websites out there like this and most folks find them to be helpful.

HTH a bit.:)

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum (well if you don't count lurking for the past 5 years) but I'm posting out of sheer frustration. I know this isn't going to be the most original post but here it goes. I'm between 5'2 and 5'3 and 125lbs which is by no means overweight . . and in a different body type would probably look awesome. But I'm pear shaped and small framed and about 30-40% of my weight is above the waist (slender, pretty good muscle definition can see a 4 pack) while below the waist i'm a complete disaster. it's like i'm another person. i'm talking jiggly, saddle bag, cellulite, lumpy, fat thighs with like 50-60% of my weight being between my waist and knees. now i know i will always be curvy and i'm at peace with that. i also accept that even with my small frame i'm not that far from my ideal weight but looking in the mirror i know that this is not my ideal body . . but I can't seem to do anything about it.

I eat 1200-1500 calories a day with a cheat meal (or two) during the week, don't drink anything but water and about a cup and a half of 1% milk a day, almost never eat junk food (cook most of my meals . .except the cheat ones) am on my feet most of the day because i'm an emergency medicine resident, exercise 6 days a week (mix of intervals, weights and circuits) BUT NOTHING SEEMS TO WORK! i really don't know what i'm doing wrong . . and the worst thing is that as i get older i am slowly putting on weight . . . i just don't know what to do. i feel like i've taken all of the advice i've gotten from forums and websites like this over the years and modified so many aspects of my life and while i'm certainly stronger, fitter and have more (upper body) muscle definition the lower body won't budge and i feel like my body doesn't reflect all off the hard work i put into it. anyone have any words of wisdom/advice? i don't want to look like a model . .well maybe a fitness model . . but i digress . . i just don't want my thighs to rub together and jiggle so much anymore. thanks

You and I have the same body type. I'm a bit taller(5'5"). My abs are always lean. My legs get lean around the 120lb mark. I have to work very hard to keep my weight there.
In the winter, I weigh around 130's and my lower body is what I consider chunky for my body structure. I'm small framed too. The reason I gain weight in the winter is because I indulge in too many starchy carbs/sugar laden foods. It's awful, because they make me feel like crap. My goal this year is to maintain the same weight all year.

This is what I know works for me. I need a zone like diet with 40/30/30 micros. I must have at least 30% of my calories from good fat. My body will not let go of the fat on anything less. I have to limit my starches to one bowl of oatmeal after workout, with the bulk of my carb choices from green veggies, 2-3 servings of fruit.

I have to work my lower body with weights at least 3x's a week, I'll add squeeze legs in one day. 2 days of HIIT which include sprints. Walking lunges without weights works great.

I have to each the other posters.
I would up your calorie intake, because what you're eating now seems low to me. Another 200 calories or so of lean protein should help.

I also agree that bumping your weighted leg work up to 3x/week should help. I find that my legs aren't really impacted by any leg work I do unless it's with heavy weight.
I see the best results from S&H, GSL, B&G's (as part of a heavier rotation) and Legs & Glutes (again as part of a heavier rotation).

Maybe give something like that a try and let us know how you're doing?
Welcome to forum (as a poster, that is!)!

I can relate - some suggestions

I have a similar body type - it's VERY hard for me to "sculpt" (I really hate that word!) my lower half, but I've found that spinning and pilates, both 3 days per week, has worked best for me. I mean be consistant with that 3X per week on both. And I've tried EVERYTHING else heavy weights, light weights, you name it. Years of trial & error have produced this mix to help me fit into my size 4 Lucky jeans, and yep, I'm darned proud of it!

you guys are awesome

Thank you all so much for the suggestions and comments. I'll try replying to you all in this one message . . .

The rotation I'm doing now goes something like this:
Mon: P90x+ upperbody and abs
Tues: intervals (one of the imaxes, p90x plyometrics, gin miller's reebok interval dvd)
Wed: 4 day split hi intensity step+ shoulders+ abs
thurs: intervals (running about 3-5 miles . .depends on if i just do intervals or add on steady state after the intervals)
Fri: 4 day split bootcamp + biceps and triceps
Sat: mish mash of abs, moderate weight lower body exercises and the intensity portion of kick max.

I'm a little frightened by the thought of working my legs heavy 3x/week. I've just found when I really fry my legs (like with GS legs) they bulk up. I build muscle pretty easily and when killer leg workouts are added to the layer(s) of fat already sitting around. . . it's not pretty. that's why i'm doing such a schizophrenic lower body workout now. I incorporate weights to keep the muscles strong but not too strong. I do think that the rotations teddy suggested might help though. I also like cakebaker's suggestions though I'm not sure I have the time to add in 6 days of spinning/pilates in addition to the weights and cardio i already do. cakebaker, what does your workout week look like?

Diet wise I have a protein shake (100 cals all protein no carbs) or can of tuna with cereal and milk for breakfast, a large salad of some sort with 4 oz of protein and low fat dressing for lunch, snack of fruit (1 peice) and nuts and dinner can be almost anything but again includes 4 oz of protein, about 40g carbs and some veggies (cooked in a modest amount of fat). Should i increase my portions over all? or is there one particular thing (fat, carbs, protein) you think i should increase? I will try adding in something extra cautiously. again thank you all so much. just getting some suggestions makes me feel better

I used to think like you, because I am pretty musclular, I was afraid that my thighs would just get junkier, even if it is muscle, and I was really looking for lean.

I finally decided to risk an experiment and upped the weights for leg workouts. I bulked up a little at first, but I'm glad I stayed the course, because the heavier weights, within a month or two, really leaned out my legs. So much so that I went from a size 4 to a size 2, simply by doing heavier weights on my legs.

The other thing that really works for me in terms of being lean is aim for 80-100g of protein a day. That is hard to do when you are small and have a lower calorie need than taller people, but from the sound of it you spend a lot of calories on workouts, you work out more often than I do. I have a 30g protein shake each morning mixed with a blended fruit to jumpstart my protein intake each day. Costco has a big bag in vanilla or chocolate of a really good blend for muscle builiding. My shake happens to be right after my workout, so it is maximising the musle building for me.

Then I try to have at least 20g if not more with my two other main meals, trying to snack on lowfat cheese or peanut butter, yoghurt or something like that with some veggies. I completely cut out sugar when I try to bounce back after, say, a christmas binge.... :) Fruit sugar is the only sugar I allow and I see quick and dramatic lower body improvements that way. I also minimize carbs to whole grain only.

I hope that helps!

I'm a little frightened by the thought of working my legs heavy 3x/week. I've just found when I really fry my legs (like with GS legs) they bulk up. I build muscle pretty easily and when killer leg workouts are added to the layer(s) of fat already sitting around. . . it's not pretty.

I dont work my legs HEAVY 3x a week at all...

SAMPLE:

Tuesdays: Plyometrics (non step usually for me) Can also use IntervalX+ going really hard
Thursdays: Heavy (moderately heavy for me) With Weights
Saturdays: Non weighted or very light weighted more butt focused

I use ALOT of Tony legs/ Slim Series / Cathe without any weights for my 3rd leg day

run more

not less. I found my lower half leaning out when I was running intervals (not real HIIT) three times a week for 45 to 60 minutes. The diet matters a lot. I did not expect to see my lower half leaning out. People say you should lose weight in the order you gained it just in reverse. But, my butt showed up when I was 11 years old so thats bs. I wasn't obese then. I started leaning out the lower half running when I was well over 200 pounds. And I'm a pear too.

I didn't run to lean out my legs, but I have heard that running does that, too!

If you like running, go for it!

I couldve written your post word for word (even the residency part!) I'm 5'1" and 131 lb, used to be 110 lb (sigh). What works for me is the following.....working my legs heavier twice a week, a diet with alot of protein and lower in the starchy carbs, running and most importantly consistency! The working out and eating well for 2 weeks and then blowing it for a week b/c I'm stressed, overworked and overtired got me nowhere! I'd also re-exam your cheat meals and be aware of any little snack that you pop in your mouth. Hospitals are notorious for people bringing in little treats and also in your line of work, eating when you're stressed or even bored. I found the book Body Rx a good read as well as Leanness Lifestyle. I also found that for me 1400 cals was a good fat loss range, however 1400 cals of junk didnt give me half the results that 1400 cals of clean foods did so all calories are not created equal, at least not in my case.

Keep us posted!

I'd like to add in a suggestion that I don't think I saw, but may actually be similar to FF leg blast rotation.

Freestyle training which is lower body workouts with lower weights. That leans my chunky thighs pretty quickly. Do a search on freestyle here and check out some of the posts.

You can do workouts like in the Freestyle book by George Snyder, or some of the rotations from Cathe and FF use Cathe workouts that have the same effect (lunge type training with low weights). The legwork actually has a cardio effect too so burns a bit more in the calorie area.

And ITA with eating clean calories, making your carbs as much of the the non-starchy version as possible. In fact, see if you can do without breads, grains, pastas, etc. for a week, using only fruits and veggies for carbs. The high protein will help also. But don't forget the good fats !

My entire year of 2008 was experimenting with workouts and nutrition plans and I enjoyed seeing the differences. Speaking of differences, do you switch up your rotations every month or two? That will help also. ;)

again thank you all for these tips. i have alot to think about but monday morning i'm going to try implementing some of your suggestions. i'll let you know if something gives . . .

No heavy weights for me either

I dont work my legs HEAVY 3x a week at all...

SAMPLE:

Tuesdays: Plyometrics (non step usually for me) Can also use IntervalX+ going really hard
Thursdays: Heavy (moderately heavy for me) With Weights
Saturdays: Non weighted or very light weighted more butt focused

I use ALOT of Tony legs/ Slim Series / Cathe without any weights for my 3rd leg day

I ditched the heavy weights, or any weight heavier than a 10lb med ball, 4 years ago and I've gotten great results. My advice is try everything & figure out what works for you. It's all about trial & error.

suggestion

Hi,

You have gotten some really good suggestions, but I think you have to remember that you can't train or exercise out a bad diet. That being said, maybe you should journal your food intake to make sure that you are really on track and add in your cheat days. Maybe you are at a point where you can't afford cheat days and maybe just one cheat meal every couple of weeks until you start to get back on track. I think there is research that shows that the body processes bad food choices differently and you may surely put on more weight or undo all of your hard work with the cheating. I think cheat meals are a double edged sword because although you can feel like you are getting a reward, in some aspects it might make the good food choices seem like a punishment. Maintaining a healthy body weight is a lifestyle and if you get to where you want to be, you may never be able to go back to cheating alot if you want to maintain it.

As I read the thread, it was clearly obvious that the people that had found solutions to their problems appear to have worked really hard to figure out what works. I know exactly what I can eat and what I can't eat and it didn't take but just a couple of cookies or treats over the holiday to figure out that I just can't eat that stuff or it goes right to my midsection and then on to the hips if I let it get that far.

Tracy

Hi,

You have gotten some really good suggestions, but I think you have to remember that you can't train or exercise out a bad diet. That being said, maybe you should journal your food intake to make sure that you are really on track and add in your cheat days. Maybe you are at a point where you can't afford cheat days and maybe just one cheat meal every couple of weeks until you start to get back on track. I think there is research that shows that the body processes bad food choices differently and you may surely put on more weight or undo all of your hard work with the cheating. I think cheat meals are a double edged sword because although you can feel like you are getting a reward, in some aspects it might make the good food choices seem like a punishment. Maintaining a healthy body weight is a lifestyle and if you get to where you want to be, you may never be able to go back to cheating alot if you want to maintain it.

As I read the thread, it was clearly obvious that the people that had found solutions to their problems appear to have worked really hard to figure out what works. I know exactly what I can eat and what I can't eat and it didn't take but just a couple of cookies or treats over the holiday to figure out that I just can't eat that stuff or it goes right to my midsection and then on to the hips if I let it get that far.

Tracy

Excellent advice Tracy!!!

I think it's important to understand the difference between reaching a number on a scale and changing your body composition.

I follow a lot of John Berardi's (Precision Nutrition) guidelines, and his recommendation(if your goal is to change body comp), a 90/10 compliance. 4 tiny cheats/ or one cheat meal a week.
For some people, the closer they get to their goal = no cheats.

Junk food/sugar does a terrible number on me. Letting go of the junk does not have to be a punishment. It really isn't. It took me a while to realize that. My cheats are beginning to look very different. A cheat for me is an extra bowl of oatmeal with a tablespoon of mini chocolate chips. That actually does the trick! There are a lot of really great tasting healthy cheats.

Also, a reward does not have to be in the form of food. My favorite personal reward is a hot bath with some bath bombs from lush.com:)
OMG, those bath bombs are divine!!!!

I've had very similar problems, so I have lots and lots of ideas. Let's start with the simplest first. You might try upping your calories, as others have already suggested. Just 100-200 calories a day at first. Adding protein would probably be your best bet.

You also mentioned that you're a medical resident, so you're probably not getting a lot of sleep. Although lack of sleep can cause problems with your health and ability to lose weight, that weight would be more likely to show up in your abdomen. Still, if there's any way you could work in 7-8 hours sleep a day, it couldn't hurt.

If none of the ideas you've received here help, let us know. We have more. :)

Shari

Your body type sounds exactly like mine and it seemed like no matter what I did, I couldn't get my lower body to match my upper body... until I started running! Running was the ONLY thing that completely leaned out my lower body. This of course was still in addition to strength training, but I was only doing a full lower body workout once a week and then for my cardio I would run about 3 days a week and then do an additional source of cardio 2 additional days. My trainer suggested to do interval runs where I would run for 5 minutes, walk for 2 minutes, run for 5 minutes, walk for 2 minutes, etc. for 45 minutes total. This was the answer I had been looking for forever. I had never recieved results the way I did doing that. Good luck!

Katie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.