front lunges vs. back lunges

J

jennifer2

Hi Cathe!

First of all, I have to share my excitement at my tapes FINALLY arriving today, woohoo!! Unfortunately, I am still at work this very minute and am finding it difficult to concentrate knowing that my tapes are waiting on my doorstep right at this moment
wink.gif

But onto my question...

Is there a significant difference between front and back lunges? The reason I ask is that I prefer back lunges because I can balance much easier and my knees don't hurt when I do them. Often I will substitute back lunges for front lunges, but I always wonder if they work different muscles (i.e. if one focuses more on the hamstring/butt while the other focuses more on the quads). Am I compromising muscle symmetry and balance but not doing both?

Thanks in advance
happy.gif

I've wondered the same thing!!

Also, my videos are due to arrive today also and I am at home and UPS STILL hasn't arrived
sad.gif
! I'm begining to wonder if they will show at all.

wanted to ask the same question!

I've been wondering the same thing. I absolutely hate to do front lunges, but find back lunges so much easier to do and am able to increase the weight as well.

I'm waiting for the answer to this one, too!
happy.gif

Michele

I prefer the front type.

This is strange because I prefer to do front lunges. For me they are much easier to do. I can see where I'm placing my foot for one thing. Just proves everybody's different. I have much more trouble with my knees on the back ones.

similar question

I was just getting ready to ask a similar question! Here's mine:
When doing static lunges, which muscles are you supposed to be concentrating on? I know you are supposed to push up through the heel of the front leg ( I suppose that's so you work the hamstring and glute of the front leg), but I find it diificult to do this unless I shift my weight significantly so that I am leaning forward over my front leg--something that Cathe says not to do (at least in the MIS and PS tapes.) But if I keep my weight centered, I mostly feel it in the quad of my rear leg. My problem:I would rather be working the hamstring because its such a tough area to really get to, but I don't want to compromise correct form.
Any responses?
thanks everyone!
Wendy
happy.gif

No help here but...

I will add by saying I, strong though I am, quit trying to do any lunging using weight becauseI felt like I would tip over most of the time and I have a hard time feeling correctly positioned. I know they are great so I keep doing them I do know they work quads, glutes and hamstrings. I'll be waiting for Cathe's response on this one!
Bobbi

Hi Jennifer!

Due to balance issues many people prefer a back lunge to a front lunge. The other reason people prefer a back lunge over a front is because it is less knee stress(since you have more control during the descending motion). While there is not a huge amount of difference, the back lunge does seem to call upon the hamstrings a bit more. It is fine to substitute back lunges for front lunges but before you give up on front lunges completely, try the following: 1) lunging onto a step, since this helps take some of the stress off of the knee 2) substitute front lunges with static lunges, (2 sets of 16 per leg) since they tend to work the muscles in almost the exact way that a front lunge does minus the descend and push off motion.

Hope this helps!

thank you, Cathe!!

<center><font size="1" color="#ff0000">LAST EDITED ON Sep-07-00 AT 10:11PM (EST)</font></center>

Aww, thanks for answering this question--I thought it had fallen through the cracks LOL!

And I know you've gotten a thousand other posts about this, but I just have to say again how much I LOOOOOVE these new tapes!! I had been feeling really unmotivated to work out in the last few weeks, and this was just what the doctor ordered! I actually wake up every morning looking forward to doing one of your new tapes, and as crazy as it sounds, I already feel them making a difference even though it's only been a week!!!

Thanks so much for all your hard work

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.