Front carrier for mom's with bad backs?

Steph,
The Trekker looks nice--I'll consider it if I can not make the Baby hawk work for us. Is it that you like that you can wear the baby facing out on your back with the Trekker and not with the Ergo? The Trekker looks like a low sitting position much like the Ergo. I should have researched my decision more! Urghh!

Hey there, I like that she can face out in front (with the trekker). The facing out in back looks scary to me. I can imagine her grabbing stuff she's not supposed too. The carrier is deep so she'll probably be down low in it but I don't think she'd mind as much as long as she's forward facing...it's how life was for her with the bjorn - she was (IS) super short!

I hope you can get the babyhawk to work, it's very attractive and looks like it would be nice once you get the hang of it. But uncomfortable straps never change...so if that's the main problem I'm not sure what you can do. It's a bummer!

I'll let you know if I try the infantino...it has memory foam straps.

Steph

Hey Linda and Steph,
Inspired by your posts, I called Baby Trekker to ask about their product. Amazingly, I spoke to Judy, the owner/designer herself. She cut me a great deal on a pack. I told her how I owned several carriers already.

I wanted you gals to know that she sells secondhand Trekkers for half the price! I thought you might want to know this. I am going to order myself one because, like Steph's baby, mine is just wild about facing outward, and the Moby is probably not doing the best job in supporting his 19 pounds. You might want to call Judy and speak with her yourself about your needs. She's very personable and very helpful.
Manmohini

Thanks Manmohini, that's great news. I also did buy the infantino but so far have not been able to adjust the straps properly to load Sienna. I just haven't had the time to fiddle yet. When I do I'll check back in...I saved the packaging, so I consider it a trial for now.

Let us know about the Trekker, when you get it. I'm dying to know if it's as awesome as it looks!!

Steph

Okay. By the way, Linda says there's a 30-day money back gaurantee on the Trekker as well. I'll let you know if I like it.
Manmohini

Yes, definitely let us know about the Trekker. I may be able to get one if she sells them for 1/2 price. I'm still struggling with the Babyhawk.

Oh, by the way, I mispoke about the Trekker. I spoke with the owner today and she clarified that it's not "secondhand" trekkers she sells for half price, but "seconds." This means she used a Trekker for a photo shoot and is now selling it for half price. She sold me a brand new organic design originally valued at $139 for $70! It was the sample--in other words, the very first carrier she made of this design upon which all others are modelled.

I just received my Trekker and tried it out. It rocks especially for the forward-facing position. The designer claims you can carry the baby that way up to 25 pounds, but I tend to doubt that. I would say that the Trekker is every bit as good as the Ergo althought the Ergo literature is much better written and easier to follow. Both, though, are very simple to put on--which is a relief after tying that Moby Wrap and squeezing my son into it at 20 pounds.

By the way, Ergo is pretty aggressive from a marketing standpoint. They're suing Beco baby carriers, claiming Beco copied some strap--which is untrue according to experts in the baby carrying industry who say that strap has been around in Europe for years now. Just thought some of us might care to consider the business practices of those we buy from. I do think Ergo has the best product, but I might have checked more into the Beco had I known this before.
Manmohini

Manhomini,
Thanks for the update on the Trekker. I'm glad you are enjoying the Trekker. I read the instructions and it looks like you need a bed or flat surface to load the baby in the backpack position. How has your experience with this position and the loading of baby been? That is interesting about the BECO and the lawsuit. I still have not been able to get comfortable with the BabyHawk. My sister said she would buy it from me, but I'm not sure what she would do with two. Well, live and learn!

My sister has the Bjorn Actibe and loves it. I had the Bjorn original and used it with my 2 boys who were very big. It is still in great shape and very sturdy. Can't go wrong with the Bjorn. Good Luck.

Mary

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.