From bedrest to buff!

nkhansen1

Cathlete
Growing up I had never had a weight problem. In fact it was quite the opposite! I was an avid cross-country track participant, and weighed in at a whopping 5'3", 107 lbs.

Fast forward to 1999 at age 22 when, after six miscarriages, I finally became pregnant with a good one. I was put on complete bedrest from 5 weeks until my daughter was born prematurely at 33 weeks. During that time I put on 55 lbs. After her birth, I suffered horribly from post-partum depression, and since just showering each day was physically painful, exercise never entered my mind. Probably because I rarely ate, the 55 lbs began to slip away, but I had lost all muscle tone and any bit of cardiovascular health.

When my daughter was 9 months old, I discovered I was pregnant again. I was so excited! I still had about 12 lbs left over. Once again it was bedrest at 5 weeks until my son's birth at 39 weeks. I put on 65 lbs this time, and I couldn't get upstairs without taking a breather half way. I knew I was in trouble now at 5'3" and about 180 lbs. But I felt great after this birth -no depression- so I got moving.

I started out with Minna Lesig after my six week post-partum check, doing her Strength and Grace and also Fat Eliminator. I dropped 40 lbs in about 4 months, and then I got stuck. My heart was getting back in shape, but my muscles were still jello. I needed weights, but I didn't have any idea how to go about doing it. I was up nursing my son at 2AM when I saw an infomercial for The Firm, and I ordered BSS1. The rest is history.

I lost the remaining 25 pounds in another 4 months, and my body changed in ways I didn't know were possible. Muscles started popping everywhere, and every couple of months I had to buy heavier weights. I use a range from 5-40 lbs now. However, after a few years and many new workouts, I noticed that I wasn't feeling very challenged anymore, no matter how heavy I lifted or how hard I pushed on the cardio portions. A friend casually mentioned that she thought I would love Cathe (who I had never heard of-GASP!), so I checked it out, and I was hooked!!

I credit Minna and The Firm for getting me started, but Cathe gets all the credit for taking me to a whole new level of fitness and well-being. When I think of where I was 6 years ago, not even able to climb my stairs, I can hardly believe where I am now: in the best shape of my life and healthier than I have ever been. Not only that, my journey has inspired those around me to get up and get moving, and that's a great feeling. If I can do it, literally starting from square one and with two babies to care for, anyone can!

Natalie

Way to go, Natalie!!

Keep it up!! (Your story reminds me of me!) I was a cc runner in high school and college and had multiple m/c, then got pregnant with twins! (12.5 pounds of baby!!!) Doesn't it feel great to workout again???

I am proud of you - keep it up, Buff Mamma!

Natalie,
What a great and inspiring story you have to tell. I wish you good health and continued success on your health and fitness journey. :)

Jo

Natalie - it is a great club we belong to...it is truly amazing! I am happy for you and all you have done~~

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.